Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep GC WK2 Laredo 3.0 CRD with Off-Road Pack 2 ARB Bull Bar
23 Posts
Dear Guys,

I have had the opportunity of comparing the two types of suspension on the JGC Wk2. The spring suspension one from 2014-2016 and my present air suspension from 2016 - present. Both handle nearly the same on the highway except that the spring suspension gives more 'feel' and is less floaty. However on dirt roads and travelling about 70kmh the air suspension is better without the jolts and bumps you get from the spring suspension, i.e. it handles better in dirt. In addition, the air suspension is self levelling; I have an ARB bullbar in front and a Mopar towbar at the back, and the JGC is level! What else can you ask for. The air suspension (height) can be raised for water fording and to overcome obstacles. Only thing is my niggling worry re the durability of the air suspension (leaks and air pump failure) after many years of ownership, and the cost of repairs/replacement.

RE the handling of the JGC I can give it top marks for the price/performance. I have driven the so called 4 x 4 trucks and the JGC outhandles most of them on the highway. The other popular ones drive like donkeys on a racetrack and I would say that the handling is close to that of a BMW X3/X5 without the price (in Australia) and as mentioned by others, the JGC can go where the BMW's cannot.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is exactly why I'm leaning towards the Trailhawk now. I would, most likely, stick with the 3.6L Pentastar. This engine has been one of the better engines that I've had experience with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m just a little skeptical about the air suspension. But I really want a JGC with QTII. My wife‘s Cherokee Limited has it and I just can’t get the thing to spin out. And I REALLY tried!... I did just put new Continental LX25’s on her. Which definitely helps it grip more. But there is such a noticeable difference between the QT1 & QTII. I really like the Overland. So I’ll look into that one.
I've had some interesting experiences with my ABS and Traction Control.
I've had a 2018 3.0L diesel since new and had three instances last year. Twice a had a sudden stop in the wet. The ABS chattered only twice and nowhere near as rapidly as i would expect given the other cars I have owned. In both cases I was left locked up sliding down the wet road.
The third instance was pulling out onto a highway in the wet turning right - the wide turn here in Australia - the equivalent of your left turn in the US. It's a turn I make frequently so I know the road.
There was oncoming traffic but at a safe safe distance so I took off a little faster than normal but nothing silly. I'm wary that the car does slip a little at this intersection in the wet if you don't take it easy.
The car was all over the road. Skipping from side to side three times in total - not full on fishtailing.
My previous car was a Land Rover Discovery 4 - I think you call them an LR4. It never did this.
I'm wearing the original 265/65 x 18 Goodyear DuraTrack A/Ts. They are a very highway style tread pattern - hardly A/Ts. Very similar pattern to the DuraTrack H/Ts (255/60 x 19) the LR came with.
I don't know if they are just poor grip tyres. The ones on the LR were the same brand and were great.
Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas or advice?
Thanks...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello DanKind and Douglas,

First I would like to respond to DanKind.
I would prefer a 'hefty' petrol (gas) engine than a diesel engine. And I agree a petrol engine would be less hassle than a diesel engine. However I live in Australia where the petrol prices (1) are relatively high and (2) petrol prices go up and down like a yo-yo. So I opted for the diesel engine with its other hassles like (must have) clean fuel , particulate filters, oil catch cans, etc. May I add that I did own a Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 litre petrol engines and it was so fun to drive and the engine fuss free ( I drove from Perth to Sydney in 4 days , 4000km without missing a beat!) I have owned other cars with American V8 engines (Chevy LS1 and LS3) and they are beautiful engines in terms of drivability and reliability.

To Douglas:
Compared to the BMW's X3's and X5's, the BMW have added dimensions in stability control (torque vectoring?) that the Jeep GC does not have so the Jeep GC is not comparable and should be compared to the these 'fast' SUVs.
Have a look at the (you Tube) videos on the 'Moose avoidance' tests that have been carried out on the JeepGC and the modifications that the Jeep engineers have carried out to fix it.
Wet roads are a difficult proposition at the best of times. How heavy is the rain and how long since the rain fell are factors to be considered, including residual oil left on road ! Tyres and the thread patterns, the tyre pressures and the amount of tyre wear also play a significant role in wet handling. All I can add is that I drive on Coopers AT3's 40% worn and I find if I accelerate too fast on a (wet) corner traction control is activated however slide is controlled. In general I take it easy under these conditions. Suggest to take your Jeep to an empty car park in the rain and practice sliding!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello DanKind and Douglas,

First I would like to respond to DanKind.
I would prefer a 'hefty' petrol (gas) engine than a diesel engine. And I agree a petrol engine would be less hassle than a diesel engine. However I live in Australia where the petrol prices (1) are relatively high and (2) petrol prices go up and down like a yo-yo. So I opted for the diesel engine with its other hassles like (must have) clean fuel , particulate filters, oil catch cans, etc. May I add that I did own a Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 litre petrol engines and it was so fun to drive and the engine fuss free ( I drove from Perth to Sydney in 4 days , 4000km without missing a beat!) I have owned other cars with American V8 engines (Chevy LS1 and LS3) and they are beautiful engines in terms of drivability and reliability.

To Douglas:
Compared to the BMW's X3's and X5's, the BMW have added dimensions in stability control (torque vectoring?) that the Jeep GC does not have so the Jeep GC is not comparable and should be compared to the these 'fast' SUVs.
Have a look at the (you Tube) videos on the 'Moose avoidance' tests that have been carried out on the JeepGC and the modifications that the Jeep engineers have carried out to fix it.
Wet roads are a difficult proposition at the best of times. How heavy is the rain and how long since the rain fell are factors to be considered, including residual oil left on road ! Tyres and the thread patterns, the tyre pressures and the amount of tyre wear also play a significant role in wet handling. All I can add is that I drive on Coopers AT3's 40% worn and I find if I accelerate too fast on a (wet) corner traction control is activated however slide is controlled. In general I take it easy under these conditions. Suggest to take your Jeep to an empty car park in the rain and practice sliding!
Hi Blade38.
Where in AU? I have an apartment in Pyrmont in Sydney and a property in the Hunter.
I hear all off what you say and agree. I'm not a spirited driver and take it easy in the dry and wet. I've had several bikes the latest of which was a Kawasaki 1400GTR. I understand slippery roads in fresh rain.
I don't expect sports performance. It's not a Cayenne. I'm comparing it with my previous XC90 or Discovery 4.
Under the conditions the car was frightening. The ABS was abysmal and the slide around the turn showed no effort to control at all. I'll get it looked at when the next service is due.
Otherwise I absolutely love the car.
I'll stick with the diesel. I love the economy and hence the range. I had a Long Ranger in the Disco and could get 1500km between fills. Great on our desert trips.
The Disco also has air suspension. I wouldn't be without it. Google "LLAMS". They make an aftermarket override kit for Land Rover/Range Rover, Jeep and Dodge RAM that extends all of the normal settings by -20mm, 0mm, +30mm and +50mm. So you can use normal on road with a 50mm lift giving you the standard off road setting without the 53kmh limit. At full tilt it's a Prado/Cruiser (Uggh) with a seven inch lift. On the highway it's up to a 35mm drop. I had one on my Disco and have one (not yet fitted) for the TrailHAwk. Graeme gave me a hefty discount on the one for the Jeep because I sent his business through the roof years earlier. My Disco had an eight page spread in "Overlander" magazine and I raved on about the LLAMS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dear McBear,

My Jeep has the ELSD (Off Road pack II?), the ELSD motor which was recently replaced by Heartland Jeep (Castle Hill). I live in Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153.
The traction control (ESC) hardly comes on in my driving except when I am taking off in the wet from a left or right hand turn into major roads , e.g. James Ruse Drive around the Parramatta Area. Just go easy on the right foot!
(compare this with a 2000 Holden Calais with LS1 V8 which won't take off from traffic lights in the wet with the ESC (traction control) turned OFF - the back wheels just spin around and the car doesn't move much).
All I can say is how wet the road is and the type and condition of the tyres and (tyre) pressure(s). As mentioned previously the JeepGC (WK) initially failed the 'Moose Test' and the Jeep engineers did some tweaks on the ECU and it passed. You can check with your dealer if your JeepGC has this 'upgrade'/'update'' incorporated.

And in summary, which you already know, is 'horses for courses'.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts