Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and Happy New Year to all!

I was having difficulty renewing my $149 annual subscription to Uconnect on my 2017 GC through the Internet. The system would time out before the transaction would go through. I tried it numerous times and on two different computers and my iPad. I gave up and called the Uconnect customer service number on the MOPAR website. The gentleman I spoke with said that I would be better off to opt for the 4G Advantage plan at $9.99 a month as opposed to the regular Advantage plan I had been on because it was 1) cheaper ($120 a year as opposed to $149) and 2) I would get 2GB of 4G service included. I told him I didn't need the 4G service but he said "So? Don't use it. The rest of the package is the same for $30 a year less." OK. That just became no-brainer. So I took advantage of the 4G Advantage package. They sent me the 4G adaptor a couple of days later which is now sitting in the box in my garage. It didn't come with any instructions on how or where this thing plugs in or how to set it up. At first I didn't care because I had no intention of using the 4G service but then I figured why not just install it anyway? Who knows if it does come with some additional capabilities?

I called the Uconnect customer service department again to see where I could find instructions on installing and setting this thing up. I spoke to three different customer service agents who didn't have the foggiest idea of what in the world I was talking about. I also spoke to another agent that said I should take the car to a Jeep dealer and have them install it. Yeah. Right. Like I'm going to pay a tech at a dealership a few hundred dollars to install this thing. It would be cheaper to stay on the plan I was on in that case. I finally got a fifth agent who sort of knew what I was talking about. She said I had to upgrade my software (which I assumed would be the case) but I would have to talk to AT&T about how to install the adaptor. I told her that doesn't make any sense. First, the module came from T-Mobile/Sprint, not AT&T. Second, how is anybody from AT&T going to tell me where and how to install this thing in my car? I doubt anybody at AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile would know how to do that. So my question here is has anybody on this site been through this? Has anybody done this upgrade themselves? If so, did yours come with any type of paperwork or instructions? I tried YouTube and Google and came up empty. I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I was having difficulty renewing my $149 annual subscription to Uconnect on my 2017 GC through the Internet. The system would time out before the transaction would go through. I tried it numerous times and on two different computers and my iPad. I gave up and called the Uconnect customer service number on the MOPAR website. The gentleman I spoke with said that I would be better off to opt for the 4G Advantage plan at $9.99 a month as opposed to the regular Advantage plan I had been on because it was 1) cheaper ($120 a year as opposed to $149) and 2) I would get 2GB of 4G service included. I told him I didn't need the 4G service but he said "So? Don't use it. The rest of the package is the same for $30 a year less." OK. That just became no-brainer. So I took advantage of the 4G Advantage package. They sent me the 4G adaptor a couple of days later which is now sitting in the box in my garage. It didn't come with any instructions on how or where this thing plugs in or how to set it up. At first I didn't care because I had no intention of using the 4G service but then I figured why not just install it anyway? Who knows if it does come with some additional capabilities?

I called the Uconnect customer service department again to see where I could find instructions on installing and setting this thing up. I spoke to three different customer service agents who didn't have the foggiest idea of what in the world I was talking about. I also spoke to another agent that said I should take the car to a Jeep dealer and have them install it. Yeah. Right. Like I'm going to pay a tech at a dealership a few hundred dollars to install this thing. It would be cheaper to stay on the plan I was on in that case. I finally got a fifth agent who sort of knew what I was talking about. She said I had to upgrade my software (which I assumed would be the case) but I would have to talk to AT&T about how to install the adaptor. I told her that doesn't make any sense. First, the module came from T-Mobile/Sprint, not AT&T. Second, how is anybody from AT&T going to tell me where and how to install this thing in my car? I doubt anybody at AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile would know how to do that. So my question here is has anybody on this site been through this? Has anybody done this upgrade themselves? If so, did yours come with any type of paperwork or instructions? I tried YouTube and Google and came up empty. I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks!
I am running to the same issue. The plug I was sent went into my OBD port under the dash on the drivers side,but it never did anything except light up. I did the update from Uconnect using a usb and it still doesn't recognize the 4G adapter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding. How did you know to plug it into the diagnostic port other than the plug has the same configuration? When I looked at the module I realized that the plug was the same but would have never guessed to plug it in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was pretty much the shape that made me plug it in there. I got an email from att or mopar when I did it saying that it wasn't connected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find it totally asinine that they don't include any type of directions or setup instructions. I'm not an idiot but is asking for a little guidance ask too much? I seriously hate stupid shit.

In the meantime, thanks for your help. I just had some surgery three days ago and am not quite up to do this just yet so I think one day next week I'll plug that puppy in the OBD port, do the update, and give it a whirl. If I get more than just lights I'll let you know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like this device might be something like this...https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/syncup

Which to the best of my knowledge won’t sync up with uconnect features at all and only would provide a wireless hotspot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that device while I was Googling for some instructions. It looks like the device but the model numbers are different and given the fact that it said it would sync my device to the car made no sense as I use AT&T. Why Chrysler would send this out without paperwork is idiotic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe I figured it out. This has nothing to do with you in-dash UConnect System. You plug it into your OBD Diagnostic Port with the car off. Start the vehicle and give it about 5 minutes to initialize. Look for the Uconnect WiFi Adapter under you phones WIFI Networks. Join the network. The password is Unconnect plus the last 4 numbers of IMEI number shown on the box or device. I belive all this does is to allow your wireless device connect and has nothing to do with your in-dash entertainment system. I think Uconnect in the password is all lower case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
once you plug it in and you get 3 lights. Blue (connected to network) middle blinking (WIFI) Green (GPS). you simply open your devices wifi connect to the uconnectadpt wifi using the last 4 digits of the devices IMEI as the password... enjoy free wifi did anyone scan the QR code that is on it? it takes you to a website that explains it quite well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe I figured it out. This has nothing to do with you in-dash UConnect System. You plug it into your OBD Diagnostic Port with the car off. Start the vehicle and give it about 5 minutes to initialize. Look for the Uconnect WiFi Adapter under you phones WIFI Networks. Join the network. The password is Unconnect plus the last 4 numbers of IMEI number shown on the box or device. I belive all this does is to allow your wireless device connect and has nothing to do with your in-dash entertainment system. I think Uconnect in the password is all lower case.
wow... this didnt show until after i replied :) they told me the PW was just the last 4 of the imei but i havent connected to the free wifi yet i already have a mobile hot spot.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I just ordered mine tonight. I found out about it when I called to update my credit card #. Saves money per month to. Can anyone report how the hotpot in 4g is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy crap... Thank u for posting this and thank the person for starting this question and answer feed... I wasted 4 hours of my life yesterday trying to figure out this damn password lol.. for some reason my brain couldn't figure out what "Default SSID: uconnectadpt and Password: uconnect<Last 4 digits of IMEI>" meant... I tried the radio's id and last 4, and every other id connected to my radio and uconnect I could find plus IMEI last 4..... thank u again.. bc it flippin worked lol 🧡

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy crap... Thank u for posting this and thank the person for starting this question and answer feed... I wasted 4 hours of my life yesterday trying to figure out this damn password lol.. for some reason my brain couldn't figure out what "Default SSID: uconnectadpt and Password: uconnect<Last 4 digits of IMEI>" meant... I tried the radio's id and last 4, and every other id connected to my radio and uconnect I could find plus IMEI last 4..... thank u again.. bc it flippin worked lol 🧡

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same thing the Uconnect adapter. Just got it today by UPS. Plugged it in, and BAM. Instant internet. It’s freaking awesome! Especially for trips to the beach for my kids who can’t live without their tablets 🙄😂. I just wish u knew how to change the username and password. I can’t figure that one out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a RAM pickup. They told me when I called to turn the Uconnect back on that it wouldn't work unless I bought the 4G package. I never plugged it in amd the Uconnect still works. Is this bullshit and they are just making money off us for an unwanted device?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agreement Uconnect on 3G only works until the end of the year. This is why it is cheaper than the normal plan. There is a huge push to get everyone signed over to 4G. Also I was told there are no additional gig charges after 2G per month -nothing to buy, but they throttle you down.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,252 Posts
I was told the same thing. It seems to work as advertised, but I haven't used any of the data yet and probably won't until I travel. Unfortunately, right now, traveling is out because of my back problems.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts