Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland. The email I received from Uconnect indicated that I would lose some features after transferring over to the TMobile adapter. I called for clarification and they said I would not have navigation. WTF. This doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone elaborate on this. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That can't be right.......nav obviously uses GPS not the cellular data.

Clearly nobody knows what the hell is going on between Uconnect support and T-mobile. To me it sounds like until they shut off 3G, this T-mobile adapter is strictly a 4g hotspot and I'm assuming come December, there will be a Uconnect update that will tell the head unit to use the 4G adapter for all things instead of 3G. Fingers crossed on that one though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a RAM pickup. They told me when I called to turn the Uconnect back on that it wouldn't work unless I bought the 4G package. I never plugged it in amd the Uconnect still works. Is this bullshit and they are just making money off us for an unwanted device?
The 3G network will be decommissioned by all cell carriers throughout North America on January 1, 2022. Any Uconnect Head unit with a built in 3G connection will no longer work. That is why they are sending out the 4G adapter per customer request. Up to January 1, 2022 you will still be on the 3G network. The adapter will be needed for find you car, door lock/unlock and remote start/stop via cell phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi to everyone.

I have a GC 2017 and received my adapter yesterday. Since I have owned my vehicle for 4 years I can say that any update to Uconnect or map/navigation system has always been a pain in the patooty. This is no different. My adapter is upside down to my plug, or I guess you can say the plug is upside down to the adapter. Once I got it hooked up I had to use a hand held mirror to check the status of the LED lights. As of right now I do not have the LED Green light for a solid 4G connection. I do have the Wifi and GPS. The Green Light is supposed to come on after 5 min of the car running. If that doesn't happen the suggestion is to drive for 15 min. I have done all that , and more, and still only a flashing RED light which means Network Connection in Progress. I have tried to call UConnect but the shortest wait time I have heard so far is 8 minutes. I have not waited. I have a short road trip tomorrow and want to see if "more time" allowed for the connection to progress will solve the problem. BTW, I did the reboot with no successful result. I love my Jeep GC and the UConnect, once it is set up, seems to work fine, BUT the updates and and times like this make smh. ;-)

Follow up. After my road trip yesterday of about 3 hours round trip I still had a red blinking light for the 4G connection. I called UConnect and was told T Mobile was aware of the issue and was working on a solution that would be available in 24 hours (today). This afternoon I checked and still had a flashing red light. . I called again and was asked to shutoff my Jeep, remove the adapter, hold the rest button for 15 seconds, plug in the adapter, and start my Jeep. That worked!!!!I now have a solid green light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning and Happy New Year to all!

I was having difficulty renewing my $149 annual subscription to Uconnect on my 2017 GC through the Internet. The system would time out before the transaction would go through. I tried it numerous times and on two different computers and my iPad. I gave up and called the Uconnect customer service number on the MOPAR website. The gentleman I spoke with said that I would be better off to opt for the 4G Advantage plan at $9.99 a month as opposed to the regular Advantage plan I had been on because it was 1) cheaper ($120 a year as opposed to $149) and 2) I would get 2GB of 4G service included. I told him I didn't need the 4G service but he said "So? Don't use it. The rest of the package is the same for $30 a year less." OK. That just became no-brainer. So I took advantage of the 4G Advantage package. They sent me the 4G adaptor a couple of days later which is now sitting in the box in my garage. It didn't come with any instructions on how or where this thing plugs in or how to set it up. At first I didn't care because I had no intention of using the 4G service but then I figured why not just install it anyway? Who knows if it does come with some additional capabilities?

I called the Uconnect customer service department again to see where I could find instructions on installing and setting this thing up. I spoke to three different customer service agents who didn't have the foggiest idea of what in the world I was talking about. I also spoke to another agent that said I should take the car to a Jeep dealer and have them install it. Yeah. Right. Like I'm going to pay a tech at a dealership a few hundred dollars to install this thing. It would be cheaper to stay on the plan I was on in that case. I finally got a fifth agent who sort of knew what I was talking about. She said I had to upgrade my software (which I assumed would be the case) but I would have to talk to AT&T about how to install the adaptor. I told her that doesn't make any sense. First, the module came from T-Mobile/Sprint, not AT&T. Second, how is anybody from AT&T going to tell me where and how to install this thing in my car? I doubt anybody at AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile would know how to do that. So my question here is has anybody on this site been through this? Has anybody done this upgrade themselves? If so, did yours come with any type of paperwork or instructions? I tried YouTube and Google and came up empty. I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks!
[/QUOTE. The new service does not start until the new year. That could be why the adapter doesn’t work. The old 3G service is still in effect through Dec 31

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe I figured it out. This has nothing to do with you in-dash UConnect System. You plug it into your OBD Diagnostic Port with the car off. Start the vehicle and give it about 5 minutes to initialize. Look for the Uconnect WiFi Adapter under you phones WIFI Networks. Join the network. The password is Unconnect plus the last 4 numbers of IMEI number shown on the box or device. I belive all this does is to allow your wireless device connect and has nothing to do with your in-dash entertainment system. I think Uconnect in the password is all lower case.
Absolutely correct. I was told by the Uconnect techs that the Uconnect system in the truck or car doesn't know that the module has been installed and the module has nothing to do with the Uconnect system in your vehicle. So in reality I'm wondering just what in the heck good it is except that having it provides a lower Uconnect monthly rate. What I'm wondering is when 3g finally phases out is the system in the vehicle going to continue to work as before since the darned thing only has a 3g capability or is it going to be obsolete?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts