Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be very little info on engine packages for the 5.7 wk2. I even called a few shops and no call backs lol

Maybe I'm just going to leave it alone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need a tune with even a stage 1 cam hope this helps. This is the cam I'm planning to install myself in about six months.

Looks cool! Why that one? Just curious. I guess I have so simply do my homework and choose wisely. No rush for me but its something I think I'd like to do. I was thinking p1 procharger but I like the idea of the NA build. Simpler and less to go wrong.

Plus I have some d2 lights in my upper grill where the intercooler would go and I dont want to have to take them out lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gotta agree with you on that man too much to go wrong with a blower and nos. I chose the stage 1 kit bc it's a pretty massive gain (60+ rwhp) while still not being too aggressive of a mod. I am debating having a performance shop put it in for me or tackling it myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gotta agree with you on that man too much to go wrong with a blower and nos. I chose the stage 1 kit bc it's a pretty massive gain (60+ rwhp) while still not being too aggressive of a mod. I am debating having a performance shop put it in for me or tackling it myself.
I envy you because I wish I was more mechanical but I am so bad at that stuff. My jeep has a borla touring and afe intake so ill talk to the fasthemis shop and see what they suggest.

Yes I agree with you 60 wheel hp is plenty and would be a nice jump. It's my daily so I don't want anything crazy or that will trash the reliability.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
40 Posts
That book isn’t worth buying IMO. You’re better off getting on the G3 Hemi swap Facebook page. Much better information on there. Be very careful on what cam you get for a 5.7 because they can be overcammed easy and you’ll lose your bottom end torque. You can get almost the same amount of power for a lot less money by using a 6.4 six speed cam.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m not sure what that cam is that’s listed above but the cam you want is a 201-424-17 XFI 218/226. It’s a little better than the factory 6.4 cam with the center line being the biggest difference. I have all the specs at home that I can post later if anyone’s interested. I’m running a 6.4 cam in the 5.7 I have in my Javelin with a canned tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m not sure what that cam is that’s listed above but the cam you want is a 201-424-17 XFI 218/226. It’s a little better than the factory 6.4 cam with the center line being the biggest difference. I have all the specs at home that I can post later if anyone’s interested. I’m running a 6.4 cam in the 5.7 I have in my Javelin with a canned tune.
Are you talking about a cam for your jeep or for your amc javelin? I chose the comp cams stage 1 kit because it comes as a kit with almost everything you need and it is not too radical of a cam that it will cause problems with reliability and the overall longevity of the jeep. I plan to purchase the diablosport trinity tuner with hemi fever but before I go cam I'm getting headers and the tuner together

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you talking about a cam for your jeep or for your amc javelin? I chose the comp cams stage 1 kit because it comes as a kit with almost everything you need and it is not too radical of a cam that it will cause problems with reliability and the overall longevity of the jeep. I plan to purchase the diablosport trinity tuner with hemi fever but before I go cam I'm getting headers and the tuner together
What I'm saying is to make sure that the cam in the you have linked is the XFI 218/226 cam. Part #201-424-17. I don't see the part number for the cam listed on there. You're on the right track if that's the cam I have listed. Comp has some other cams for a 5.7 that are terrible. Another option is you can put a stock 6.4, 6 speed cam for a Challenger in it for a heck of a lot less money (about $140) than that kit is and get close to the same performance but that's up to you. It's a common swap that'll get about 40 hp from the dyno sheets I seen. Comp claims 60 hp from theirs.
I have the 6.4 cam in my '14 5.7 Hemi that's in my Javelin and I'm using the Diablosport Trinity tune. I plan on getting it on a dyno this year and getting it tuned but it runs so good now, I don't think it'll get much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it worth it in your daily driver???? And god bless these guys have installed and know the power gain... But as an old guy the specs the manufacturer give you are not always what you get... Put a set of headers on it and you'll get 50hp!!!!!! Bullshit..... Most of the time you don't get anything close to what they say unless you rework the whole package.... Got the intake, what about the bigger injectors???? Put the cam in, but what about the heads???? Ported and polished....Bigger valve setup??? Can't just hold the valve open a bit longer and expect to suck more feul in thru the same small straw???? And you need to get rid of all that..... So move onto the exhaust, and rework it to..... That's why the other guy has his in a Javelin..... Probably a drag car if I were to guess??? And maybe not the only mod he's done..... So as motors go... If you all the gains, you need to rework all the parts..... There is always regearing if you want a light to light ass kicker!!!!!!LOL...
Good luck brother

·
Registered
40 Posts
Big Nick makes a good point - is it really worth it for a DD? My Javelin is not a race car but a pro touring car that gets a lot of miles on it over the summer. I wanted reliability and wasn't going for all out power since the car is light by today's standards. The Comp cams were $700 a few years ago but since more companies have come out with G3 Hemi cams, they've had to lower their price but even at $450 for the cam alone, it's still not worth it to me over the stock 6.4 cam. All I've done to it is the 6.4 cam, some better springs and delete the MDS. I do have a 6.4 intake as it's a much better intake than the 5.7 intake. In fact I might try to put one on my Summit. It'll help the bottom end. On these engines, you can get big power by a cam, a tune and better exhaust. No need to touch the heads unless you're racing or looking for all out power. The Hemi heads outflow pretty much everything out there right out of the factory. When I was at Comp cams place in 2019, they even said that they were impressed for a stock head how much they flow. That's why it's so easy to over cam a 5.7.
Here's a couple of pictures of my Javelin that I built.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Mopar Guy..... I'm 53 years, and have had to tell more then one buddy that the 50hp you get for every part you put on..... Doesn't add up to 50hp times every part.... If it were that easy we'd all have 600hp!!!!!! And damn fine ride you got there..... Funny what I should've bought when I was a kid!!!!! Was 18 years old and had the chance to buy a "67" fast back Mustang.... 390/4barrel, with a 4 speed...... In pretty damn good shape..... And here is the shitty part, $2500.00 obo..... And my dad wouldn't help me.... Said it was stupid?????LOL..... If I had that in a garage untouched today, $60/80 thousand!!!!! That Javelin has got to be a blast to drive!!!!!! Thanks again for the good word..... And good luck to the cam seeker!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I have 7 more years on you. :) And thanks for the compliment. Yes it's a blast to drive and will keep up with a Scat Pack Challenger. The best part is that it's different so most people don't know what they are. Yeah, everybody thinks all cars need a 1000 hp. Most people can't handle 400 hp. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
No shit..... Old school...... (You) Just got home from my bestfriends house...... 55 Chevy....... Blown 502.... On the phone, and can't figure out how to send a video of this "thing" running..... Violent!!!!! All you can say........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah I’ve been wrenching on cars for over 40 years and I’m still doing it but not for a living since 01. I was a Dodge dealer tech for over 10 years. I was a Viper certified tech as well. When I went to do the Hemi swap on the Javelin I did a lot of research to catch up on the Hemi’s. These newer Hemi’s are simply amazing compared to the gen 2,s. It really is an exciting time for muscle cars all over again. Something I didn’t think would happen again but I’m glad it has!
The op can get some more power for less money by researching and choosing the right parts as a package rather than adding things willy nilly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow.... Viper certified..... Yah the way you were laying down the facts to that guy about cams.... I figured you had changed your own oil once or twice!!!!LOL.... It's nice to see the people on this site that know what's, what.... And can help other guys... Same as you, I've been fixing my own stuff all my life... I've got the 3.6 v6 in my 2014 JGC.... 8 speed auto.... And all I can say is "Damn"!!!!! Is more kickass then friends v8...... So I have a question for you then... I have the full time all wheel drive... Really like it..... Thing is an absolute tank in the snow...I plan to do a little off roading..... Is that system tuff???? Is there something better???? Or they're all about the same, with different features????? Have a good day brother!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah you can't put a 6.4 cam in a third gen 5.7 swap a couple things around expect it to work fine that would work excellent in a second gen 5.7 which is what you have but the new ones have vvt and mds and all that, finding out people might know what they're talking about but you can't really trust that most of the ppl on here know what you're talking about...dead thread now we're talking about blown chevys and javelins and v6 jeeps nothing about the actual vehicle this thread was intended for...good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts