Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between an inverter and the amps I should be installing this weekend, and the fact the the stocker is only 160 amps, I decided it’s time to upgrade the alternator. After some research I decided to go with a Dc Power 270 xp. Has anyone else upgraded their alternator, and if so what was your experience?

·
Premium Member
'14 Jeep Overland
867 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Did you tell us which engine you have? No, no you didn't.

I'd be wary of installing an aftermarket alternator on a V6; the EHPS is chewing up the factory alternators and I'm not sure an aftermarket will put up with that punishment..

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
I don’t know why I even post here
You asked if anyone had done this and it appears that there is not a large crowd who have undertaken this kind of upgrade, or anyone who actually has done it hasn't seen the post...hence, the lack of response so far. I don't recall a thread about this since I've been here, but my memory isn't all that great sometimes.

I see no downside to making this upgrade if the larger unit is compatible with the JGC, but it potentially could be a warranty issue because it's not original to the vehicle. Not likely...but potentially. Using a Mopar part will probably help around that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you tell us which engine you have? No, no you didn't.

I'd be wary of installing an aftermarket alternator on a V6; the EHPS is chewing up the factory alternators and I'm not sure an aftermarket will put up with that punishment..

Yeah, because that’s why no one replied :rolleyes

The recall seemed to pertain to the alternator itself, I see no reason why you’d think an aftermarket (brand new not rebuilt) in this case could be any worse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You asked if anyone had done this and it appears that there is not a large crowd who have undertaken this kind of upgrade, or anyone who actually has done it hasn't seen the post...hence, the lack of response so far. I don't recall a thread about this since I've been here, but my memory isn't all that great sometimes.

I see no downside to making this upgrade if the larger unit is compatible with the JGC, but it potentially could be a warranty issue because it's not original to the vehicle. Not likely...but potentially. Using a Mopar part will probably help around that.

There is no Mopar part I’m aware of that would put out the kind of amperage I need. The largest wk2 alternator is 220 amp as far as I can tell.

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
In that case, you'll have to determine if you can get/use one with the capacity you want and will fit in the allotted space, etc., as well as any impact on your vehicle warranty, if you are still in warranty and/or covered under a MaxCare Extended Service Contract.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that case, you'll have to determine if you can get/use one with the capacity you want and will fit in the allotted space, etc., as well as any impact on your vehicle warranty, if you are still in warranty and/or covered under a MaxCare Extended Service Contract.

I have already, that part is done. There’s actually pretty big aftermarket support for the 3.6 as far as alternators go. Up to around 370 amp. I’m about 25,000 miles out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
Sounds good. I'm sure that there might be folks who will appreciate your efforts, so please post details/photos for the benefit of anyone who gets interested in this idea in the future.

Reactions: Governor

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a 3.0 with a 220A stock alternator. Would love a 370A alternator to feed an aux Yellow Top I installed to help feed my 5 amplifiers.
BUT, the stock unit has worked pretty well for just over a year now with that drain. Post pics and specs when you upgrade please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade mine too, V-6 engine! I already upgraded my batteries to Northstar AGM's group 94 under the seat and 2 group 31's in the rear. They rest at 13.1 while the factory rest at 12.5. Over 90 degrees at idle voltage drops to 13.5. Attached are the quotes I got from singeralternators.com they rest at [email protected] hot idle:

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
285 Posts
Along similar lines, I see that there is an alternator recall for the 2014 Grand Cherokees. I was just wondering if anyone has taken this opportunity to upgrade from the stock 180A (v6 Limited) to the 220A alternator?

I'm thinking about doing this and was wondering if its worth it?

I don't have an immediate need for the added power, but it seems that if they are replacing it anyway, I may as well see if I can get it upgraded for minimal cost.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade mine too, V-6 engine! I already upgraded my batteries to Northstar AGM's group 94 under the seat and 2 group 31's in the rear. They rest at 13.1 while the factory rest at 12.5. Over 90 degrees at idle voltage drops to 13.5. Attached are the quotes I got from singeralternators.com they rest at [email protected] hot idle:

Do you know if both case styles will fit? As soon as I have electrical problems, a huge alternator is in store for me!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts