Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run a bypass filter on my vehicles since 1981. I am getting ready to install one on my JGC ED. Has anyone out there installed one. I have used the Amsoil units in the past but I am looking at the Extreme Bypass Filter from Insane Diesel.

Any and all input is appreciated.:)

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess no one has.

I am considering the Amsoil bypass filter and the Extreme oil filter by Insane Diesel. The hardest part will be finding a place to put it.

The Amsoil filter is suppose to be good for 60K mi with their smallest spin on

The Extreme Diesel is a cartridge and is good for 10K mi.

decisions decisions.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sure will. I will probably go with the Amsoil bypass as I can then get 20K mi between oil changes. I know that is outside FCA parameters but, I bought the Jeep used, it was a certified car, but I plan on keeping it for several years and feel that is the best for me. I will be changing all the filters tomorrow and insure I have the correct spec oil 4-40 to run in it. Who knows what the dealer put in it??:rolleyes:. From what I am reading FCA doesn't have their stuff together but they sure bend us little guys over. So, hopefully my engine is good and I will complete all the upgrades I want before I have a problem.:)

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,546 Posts
I sure will. I will probably go with the Amsoil bypass as I can then get 20K mi between oil changes. I know that is outside FCA parameters but, I bought the Jeep used, it was a certified car, but I plan on keeping it for several years and feel that is the best for me. I will be changing all the filters tomorrow and insure I have the correct spec oil 4-40 to run in it. Who knows what the dealer put in it??:rolleyes:. From what I am reading FCA doesn't have their stuff together but they sure bend us little guys over. So, hopefully my engine is good and I will complete all the upgrades I want before I have a problem.:)
How does an oil filter manage to keep the oil from breaking down from oxidation, loss of VI, change in TBN, etc?

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish we can upgrade the fuel filtering as well. As we are in control in quality of the new oil we put in during change, but have very limited control over of our fuel. Then going 40-50k between changing both would be nice.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Upgrading the fuel filters is a major upgrade. It is something I will due in the near future. I would like to get down to a 2 micron filter.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link Phil.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,546 Posts
I am not as knowledgeable on the oxidation, loss of VI, change in TBN, etc? but I know it works as I have used it. The link tells why it benefits your oil but doesn't address your specific concerns.

https://www.amsoil.com/bypass/how-it-works.aspx
I looked thru their site. I noticed that while they sell Synthetic oil with a guarantee of 25K or one year they don't extend that guarantee further when you use their bypass filter. Saw some other stuff talking about soot, which is mostly a diesel problem, and that would seem likely to be the major benefit to the bypass filter since it can filter out the soot. They also had some info on filter testing and wear in gas and diesel engines. That graphs suggested that better filters were much more beneficial for diesels then for gas powered, perhaps that had to do with the soot issue there too. If I had a diesel and planned to keep it a long time looks like a bypass filter could be a good choice.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked thru their site. I noticed that while they sell Synthetic oil with a guarantee of 25K or one year they don't extend that guarantee further when you use their bypass filter. Saw some other stuff talking about soot, which is mostly a diesel problem, and that would seem likely to be the major benefit to the bypass filter since it can filter out the soot. They also had some info on filter testing and wear in gas and diesel engines. That graphs suggested that better filters were much more beneficial for diesels then for gas powered, perhaps that had to do with the soot issue there too. If I had a diesel and planned to keep it a long time looks like a bypass filter could be a good choice.
Jim, you are very observant.;) Several of my vehicles have had over 300K mi. when I sold them and the bypass helped keep maintenance costs down. I plan on getting the ecodiesel set up on a 20K mi oil change program unless I end up towing heavy. I shouldn't get into that as I have a GMC 2500HD for that.:D

·
Registered
647 Posts
On my VW TDI I ran an uprated CAT fuel filter as well as an oil bypass filter. If nothing else, the giant oil bypass filter is a huge heat-sink and allows you to put more oil in the system. I'd love to see what you come up with for mounting solutions.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my VW TDI I ran an uprated CAT fuel filter as well as an oil bypass filter. If nothing else, the giant oil bypass filter is a huge heat-sink and allows you to put more oil in the system. I'd love to see what you come up with for mounting solutions.
Thanks FF, hopefully this next week will get a lot done.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the idea of a 2 micron fuel filter but wonder if it will decrease the service
interval of the filters. Also, the GDE tune will reduce soot accumulation in your motor oil since the EGR valve is always closed.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just replaced my fuel filters with aftermarket ones that were rated a 2 microns:D. I will probably use Wix filters next time as they were only $2 a piece more.:eek:

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered the Amsoil Bypass Filter assembly yesterday and unfortunately I have to go to Florida next week and will not get to the installation till I get back. I also need to get a "T" fitting to fit in the oil pressure sensor line into the block, locate where the filter will be mounted and decide where the return will tap into the engine. Piece of cake, Right?? Not!! The hardest part will be the mounting location and where the return line will tap in.:eek:

Stay tuned unfortunately the 10 day wait is going to be a killer for me.:D;)

·
Registered
2016 Grand Cherokee
17 Posts
I am definitely interested in your bypass installation. I have an FS2500 bypass on my Jeep Liberty CRD, and I use the integrated bypass/full flow filters (Fleetguard LF9028) on my Dodge Ram Cummins. I can tell you all from first hand experience, oil in a diesel engine with a bypass filter is a lot slipperier than oil without and the bypassed oil wipes off your fingers without staining, even after 10,000 miles. But, in the Grand Cherokee, the thing that is stopping me is: WHERE?

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been discussing this with other folks and because of the cramped space it may be better to run a bypass with an engine oil cooler upgrade. ( location ) Stay tuned and if you come up with something let us know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts