Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you don't want MDS to activate, I have seen a thread that people with the V8 switched to a heavier weight oil disabling the MDS. Not sure if it works or is feasible. I might have seen ths in the SRT community, not sure.

·
Registered
941 Posts
And tow/haul, on the V8, is limited to 5th gear, does not shift to second overdrive (6 th).
They're the same gear. Or well, 2011 5th = 2012 6th. Mine's a 2011 so I can't comment on it locking out of "6th", but it will go into 5th gear on my 2011, So I can't imagine they'd lock the 2012 out of their top gear, consider it's the same gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually like the ECO mode. I have been averaging @20+ mpg, mostly suburban driving, with my V6. Looking forward to an upcoming trip to see what kind of mpg I can get on the highway.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My 2014 manual says:

When the Fuel Economy (ECO) Mode is engaged, the vehicle control systems will change the following:
• The transmission will upshift sooner and downshift later.
• The overall driving performance will be more conservative.

I have never noticed much difference with it on or off with the ecodiesel engine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My 2014 manual says:

When the Fuel Economy (ECO) Mode is engaged, the vehicle control systems will change the following:
• The transmission will upshift sooner and downshift later.
• The overall driving performance will be more conservative.

I have never noticed much difference with it on or off with the ecodiesel engine.
I concur.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's the one thing I despise on my SRT. 90% of the time I end up in sport mode to make it go away. Same thing with my Ram 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I've never seen it on my 3 WK2 V6's. How is it turned on and where does it show up?

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts
Yes, there's a button labeled ECO in front of the shifter. Push it so that the light is not on and that turns ECO off.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,839 Posts
Yes, there's a button labeled ECO in front of the shifter. Push it so that the light is not on and that turns ECO off.
I don't know about the V6, but on the V8 when the light is not on, ECO is on. The button is labeled ECO Off. The Lane Sense button works the same way, light out means system on.

--

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts
The button is labeled eco ON ... I'm looking at it right now as I type this. When it's light is lit then eco is on.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,839 Posts
The button is labeled eco ON ... I'm looking at it right now as I type this. When it's light is lit then eco is on.

You are right about the button. Should have said when the system is on the light is off. My '14 Overland was the same way. Maybe that's why so many people say they get better mileage when ECO is off, because it is really on. I know with both my HEMIs when ECO is on, the tranny shifts up way too soon.

From the owners manual:

"Fuel Economy (ECO) Mode
The Fuel Economy (ECO) mode can improve the vehicle’s
overall fuel economy during normal driving conditions.
Push the “ECO” switch in the center stack of the instrument
panel to activate or disable ECO mode. A light on the
switch indicates when ECO mode is disabled."

Like lane sense, they use the light to warn you when it is off..
--

·
Registered
789 Posts
They must have changed it for 2016, as mine says eco off. Also, I don't really notice any difference with it on or off, with driving dynamics or mileage.

I just took this picture...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,839 Posts
They must have changed it for 2016, as mine says eco off. Also, I don't really notice any difference with it on or off, with driving dynamics or mileage.

Thanks, I got to where I was second guessing myself.

I just went out to double check. My '17 does say off. I seldom check mileage, but can tell a difference when driving at 25mph. With ECO on it goes to 5th gear, ECO off it only goes to 4th.

--

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts
I have a 2015 and mine does indeed say eco ON and when the light is lit, on my 2015, that mean eco is ON. It's easy for me to tell, it doesn't accelerate as well if I turn the light on. Crazy they changed it for 2016 and 2017.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For me, it's quite easy to tell if I am on ECO mode even with a Hemi. Basically I can feel a slight hesitation (a minor clunk) if I am meshing the pedal a little. It almost seems like the transmission is gear hunting and not quite sure of what to do. For the most part I leave it on especially in city driving and turn it off when I need to accelerate past some Sunday School driver hogging a lane.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2014 summit v6 has the eco on button. It turns itself on every time I start up the jeep is really frustrating because I get better gas mileage with it off and it drives way smoother I probably get better gas mileage because I don't have to accelerate as much but like someone else mentioned with this annoying feature turned on I also occasionally get a wierd clunk like a hard shift and the gearing is just horrible drives totally different turned off. I want a way for this feature to stay off by default not on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
theres a thread about that.. some plugin thing.

Oddly they must have stopped that in 15 or 16 cause mine (16) doesnt' have this issue

·
Registered
GC High Altitude 4x4
86 Posts

My 2016 is the same and I too cannot tell the difference. Once in a while it will stay in 7th gear vs 8th gear when the ECO is Off.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
theres a thread about that.. some plugin thing.

Oddly they must have stopped that in 15 or 16 cause mine (16) doesnt' have this issue
There is, but it's for ESS, not Eco. He stated that he probably could incorporate Eco into his module but I don't recall reading anything to say he's actually done it yet.

Eco was changed in 15 to remember your last setting. If Eco was set to off, it stayed off the next time you started the Jeep.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts