Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone was contemplating or has any technical knowledge on how hard it would be to add head light washers on a Overland. It seems the OEM assembly can house the washers. I will probably give it a try because I am crazy like that and cannot leave well enough alone lol. I know I can get them with the Summit but I am really not a fan of it. Thanks

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
You would have to get the equipment for it and and possible wiring, don't know if it is prewired.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts
I think the washers come as part of the HL assembly from the supplier. So unless you can buy individual parts, it could be more costly, but easier than you think.

Post pictures when you do it, please.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill I will definitely post pics. I will even do a video showing how to do it, just in case anyone else is interested. I will be getting my Overland in about a month. I dont see it being to complicated or expensive. I just need to compare a Summit to an Overland and see the differences. Also need to see how the head lamp washers are activated in a Summit.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I thought the Overland had headlight washers?

Either way it wouldnt bother me if they didnt because spraying washer fluid onto the headlight in no way "washes" it. Thats just like if you sprayed your windshield with washer fluid and didnt use your wipers. It does nothing, or if anything makes it worse. Am I missing something on how headlamp washers work or something? Never understood how spraying fluild on your headlights without anything wiping it would do anything at all!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
JTS97z28

No the Overlands do not have the washers. But to answer your question about them is that It is pretty much designed for people who live in colder climates. The Salt on the roads they put down to melt the ice builds a film on your whole car and especially on you head lights. The thicker the film on the light housing means less light transmittal for night driving. The extremely powerful spray of the washers forces of all the grime off.

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
All the Export models come with the washers and they are over rated. They are activated on every 5th push of the windscreen washers and cannot be done manually.
I would think the retrofit may be a lot more complicated, as there is a different washer bottle, as there is a high pressure pump for the light washers that is separate to the windscreen ones.
Seems like a lot of effort would be required to what I would consider a novelty feature that hardly is effective.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Limited 2wd
308 Posts
Yeah, never got the point of the washers? Then again i live in south florida, lol.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
I've seen them on Volvo's but they also came with the little wiper as well.

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
Aside from removing dust, how effective can they be ?
There is only water pressure and if your headlights are covered in bugs or snow, I doubt they would do much.
I do not know why our local regulations require it, but any HID equipped vehicles must have them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had then on several cars over the years, and if you live in a snowy/ urban / rural environment and drive at night they are very worthwhile. Salt and slush can reduce headlamp effectiveness tremendously.

Michael

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the Netherlands the headlight washers(and auto headlight levelers) are mandatory for vehicles that have xenon lighting. The argument from the roadsafety department is that dirt build up on the xenon lights will scatter the light output and will blind opposite traffic.
But I must admit that the washers do keep your lights clean from roadsalt and dust.....and empty the washerfluid tank very quickly.......
Modding your halogeen lights with xenon and not including the washer and leveling kit will fail your MOT and the police might fine you for it if the notice your after market kit.
The only enforce this if your lights are aimed to high and they look to much "ricy".
I guess that the rules in the US and Australia are a lot less rigid as over here......

·
Registered
6 Posts
RE Headlight Washers,
Yes, I have them on my Limited WK 2 GC, they are high pressure and they work with snow and ice bugs and mud removal too,
totally depending what you do put into your Washer Fluids I guess.

Also they work alternate from one another,
as said previous with Xenon Head lights they should come standard. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Now that winter is around the corner, I'm bringing this thread back from the depths.

Did anyone bother going to the trouble to see what it would take to add these to a '14 Overland with HIDs? Please forgive my newbness if this has been answered elsewhere. I did search, but didn't find any good info FWIW.

From what I can tell from checking the online parts places, retrofitting the headlight washer system would require a new reservoir ($140 or so), pump ($90), relay ($12), nozzle assembles ($???), pump wiring, plumbing and coding the TIPM to control the pump, which I am guessing would be the biggest stumbling block. Looks like this could easily end up as $500+ in parts. Is there an online parts place that lists the '14s yet? I suppose the best way would probably to sit down with the parts guy at the local dealer and look this stuff up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts