Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to title it but what I want.

2014 WK2 Summit with factory radio Harmon Radio system.

I am wanting the "Screen Off" to go black. No back light, none of the "Touch Screen to Turn Back On" nonsense. Black. With audio pipping through still.

The backlight at night is wayyyy too bright and messes with my night vision. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Alfaobd? One of the newer radios? A specific wire for the backlight that I could make a little switch for?

I'm about to glue metal inside the housing and use small magnets to put a black folder material over it. It's too bright for super dark night driving.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,376 Posts
I don't know how to title it but what I want.

2014 WK2 Summit with factory radio Harmon Radio system.

I am wanting the "Screen Off" to go black. No back light, none of the "Touch Screen to Turn Back On" nonsense. Black. With audio pipping through still.

The backlight at night is wayyyy too bright and messes with my night vision. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Alfaobd? One of the newer radios? A specific wire for the backlight that I could make a little switch for?

I'm about to glue metal inside the housing and use small magnets to put a black folder material over it. It's too bright for super dark night driving.
Have you turned the dash lights all the way down? I just looked at mine and the radio area is darker (with screen turned off) with the dash lights turned all the way down than the EVIC area is. If the radio part is too bright for you isn't the EVIC area even more annoying?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you turned the dash lights all the way down? I just looked at mine and the radio area is darker (with screen turned off) with the dash lights turned all the way down than the EVIC area is. If the radio part is too bright for you isn't the EVIC area even more annoying?
Yeah... The EVIC area is also annoying but needed for speedometer. I already know that I will be looking for my next vehicle without a EVIC equivalent. If I can, going back to analog for that. My 2015 VW Passat was wonderous for that. And then I saw the newer ones had the LCD screen and noped out of that for the next vehicle.

I work in IT and deal enough with LCD panels and screens. I don't need all of that in my car. And if I do, at least add in all the eye care stuff...

However, the radio is still bright enough to cause issues moreso than the EVIC. I do turn the dial all the way down and it's still too bright. The EVIC interestingly enough isn't as bad as the just white light emanating from the radio when the "Screen Off" is hit.

This is really my only complaint for the vehicle. Driving on back roads or through the mountains at night, makes it very difficult to spot the deer or other for me. I would even be interested in replacing out the radio, but I doubt that will be a thing since I want to keep the speakers, and want the radio to produce noise when the screen is off. Honestly, kind of like an android phone or iOS device. But I can't control my heated and cooled seats with an android device...

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
138 Posts
Isn't there a brightness setting in the display menu for the radio/nav screen? That and the instrument dimmer switch work together at least on my 2014 and 2018. I had trouble when I would turn on headlights in the snow. The screen would go so dark I couldn't read it. I eventually found the settings and was able to adjust it. I also had a long roadtrip one time where I was pulling a late night and the radio/nav was practically burning my eyes it was so bright (and reflecting off the windshield too). It wasn't bad in the city, but drove me nuts out in the country without street lights. Hope that works for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't there a brightness setting in the display menu for the radio/nav screen? That and the instrument dimmer switch work together at least on my 2014 and 2018. I had trouble when I would turn on headlights in the snow. The screen would go so dark I couldn't read it. I eventually found the settings and was able to adjust it. I also had a long roadtrip one time where I was pulling a late night and the radio/nav was practically burning my eyes it was so bright (and reflecting off the windshield too). It wasn't bad in the city, but drove me nuts out in the country without street lights. Hope that works for you.
There is! After jimntempe had mentioned that I went and looked again. Needed to turn it off of auto and into each cycle to adjust the brightness. I will be testing tonight when it gets dark again. I love mostly out in the country ways and I like to do long traveling at night (less traffic). So I'm hoping this fixes my issue right away. If I need to, I will keep it off of auto and on manual mode to see.

I'll report back with an update!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So! The level of change is 1-10. Auto will only go down to 2 in it's darkest mode. 1 is a step below the darkest of auto. I will give this a go for a few months and see how it is. Still a bit irritating but it is definitely better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts