Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Has anyone installed long tube (or shorty) headers and cam in your Hemi 5.7? Can you please share your experience (brand, fitment, cost, etc.)? I'm looking to install those mods in my WK2. I think I'm going with the 6.1 cam but thinking about 6.4 as well. Can anyone please give your opinion on both?

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
im in the middle of an install of the American Racing full system, headers and all pipes. Its not going well.....the shop doing the work has run into numerous issues with fit. They say the system is well made but doesn't seem to be well designed for the vehicle. For example, the O2 sensor ports were not tapped with the correct threads. And they didn't send the correct length o2 sensor wire extensions harnesses, had to send a second set. The O2 sensor on the right header also is having issues clearing the drive shaft. Beyond that, they cant get the rear muffler to mate to the pipes, and it also seems to have been shipped without tips. I sent an email today to AMR about the issues because it almost seems like they sent the wrong set given the issues we have run into. Will keep you posted. FYI, I have a 2011 JGC Overland Summit with the 5.7l hemi, and the kit I ordered is supposed to fit 2011 - 2015 models.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please keep us updated on headers. I think cam is definitely a go for me but I've always heard about issues with long tube headers fitment and that's why I'm kind of hesitating.

Anyone has an opinion on COMP cam vs Mopar cam? Is it worth paying the price difference? As strange as it sounds, I don't like the lopey idle sounds like the car is about to stall. I like my current exhaust note and want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
Update on the American Racing full system (headers, high flow cats, new pipes and resonators):

I wrote about issues in a prior post, here is an update:
- downstream o2 sensor on driver side is real close to the 4x4 driveshaft.....ship had to get creative with routing the wires to avoid rubbing on the drive shaft
- lots of labor to install - $1600 for me. They had to lift the engine, remove heat shields, move steering column.
- driver side header is real tight to power steering fluid line.....its insulated but it makes me nervous....
- system is supposed to use the OEM tips - not possible - OEM tips are very tight to the rear resonators, no room to cut them off and reuse - plan to buy new tips.
- now that the system is installed, it sounds great. However....I think I need a tune. At full temp, when you take your foot off the gas coasting down a hill, you get a jake brake sound. Its worse at times, randomly. Its also really bad when turning left.....not sure whats causing that. Turn right and it stops. Im checking to see if something is rubbing but didn't see any issues today. Its also worse when you drive in "Drive" and the ECO system kicks in. If you manual shift, its not bad since the ECO mode never kicks in. I already have a KN CAI on and am installing Fastman TB this weekend and then will take it for a tune - I purchased Diablo Sport, and also have a HEmi tune shop here North of Pittsburgh.

Will post an update again once I get a tune. Trying to figure out how to include pics in my post so you can see the system, as well as the tight fit of the o2 sensor next to the driveshaft....advice welcomed.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info.

Looks like long tube isn't a good choice for me since I also have a giant blower in my engine bay and that won't help with fitment..... Maybe go with shorty? And yeah I think you definitely need a dyno tune when installing cam and headers.

Hope you get the Jeep properly tuned soon! Post a video of the exhaust sound or something!

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
Yeah, Im trying to figure out how to post photos and video on this forum....only option I see is the insert image option, but that asks for a url and the photos and video are on my hard drive, not public url's. Any advice on how to upload pics here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update on the American Racing full system (headers, high flow cats, new pipes and resonators):

- now that the system is installed, it sounds great. However....I think I need a tune. At full temp, when you take your foot off the gas coasting down a hill, you get a jake brake sound. Its worse at times, randomly.

That is the MDS kicking in, I get the same sound with my Corsa exhaust. It sounds terrible as a 4 cylinder...

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
Interestingly, my CEL came on last night and now the MDS no longer kicks in, and the "4 cylinder" sound is now gone. Definitely need a tune....

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think one of the Diablo tunes disables MDS? The Diablo tune that came with my supercharger disabled MDS to prevent running lean so I'm sure it can be disabled with a tune. How much louder is it with long tubes if you don't mind me asking? My Corsa is already loud and I don't want the long tubes to make it obnoxious

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think one of the Diablo tunes disables MDS? The Diablo tune that came with my supercharger disabled MDS to prevent running lean so I'm sure it can be disabled with a tune. How much louder is it with long tubes if you don't mind me asking? My Corsa is already loud and I don't want the long tubes to make it obnoxious
Yes, there's a setting in the Diablo tuners where you can turn off the MDS.

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
That's hard to say since I went from the stock system directly to long tube headers, high flow cats, larger diameter pipes, and American racing resonators. I got the full system. I will say that its not obnoxiously loud, its actually low and deep, but you can talk and listen to the radio. I have an MDX I installed a custom exhaust system on and that is LOUD, with drone. No drone here. And at idle, you can barley tell its not the stock system. But not sure what will happen if you add just the long tubes to the existing CORSA system. I have before and after video but cant figure out how to post it here.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just post it on youtube then paste the link here. That's the quickest way I think. From the issue of clearance so far I don't know if I'm going to do headers now.... Prolly I'll upgrade to Brembos first. I would love to hear that long tubes exhaust note though!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
248 Posts
That's hard to say since I went from the stock system directly to long tube headers, high flow cats, larger diameter pipes, and American racing resonators. I got the full system. I will say that its not obnoxiously loud, its actually low and deep, but you can talk and listen to the radio. I have an MDX I installed a custom exhaust system on and that is LOUD, with drone. No drone here. And at idle, you can barley tell its not the stock system. But not sure what will happen if you add just the long tubes to the existing CORSA system. I have before and after video but cant figure out how to post it here.
How’s the performance? With a proper tune it will be even better than now but how’s I running at this moment?

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
Going to try to post links here to the before and after videos, I put them on my YouTube channel.

Before (factory system): https://youtu.be/WHL4Izf8qSQ
After: https://youtu.be/u1O20K_IIFg

As for the performance, a definite performance increase, its really gets up and goes, especially as the RPM's build. But definitely needs a tune as it has some misfiring / slightly choppy acceleration under full throttle. I'll try to get some video later of a drive by once I find someone to record for me.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds pretty good. Not very obnoxious. I think the Corsa is louder but I like the way yours sound. I'd love to see some fly bys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
tune is definitely needed. I ran the ARH headers on my 2012 5.7 and it ran rough for the single day I drove it without a tune. Ended up getting a custom tune from Greene Racing. on another note, thing ran like a beast, especially over 5k rpm, was able to get it up to 145 pretty easily. catless headers, exhaust, intake, throttle body and tune. I have sold the car but thought it would add my $.02 since very few people have done the headers. 100% would recommend them, but fyi the install was a huge PITA!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts