Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my headlights. 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with halogen bulbs. Seems like their crossed somehow. I've noticed in the dark when I pull up to or am leaving my driveway, the beams from my front headlights seem to "cross" at one point. Also, when I'm going around corners when it's dark, off to the right I can see a definite light beam. I know there's no way to adjust them laterally. Can't explain it any better that that. I think my Jeep is cross-eyed! Can anyone help me understand this? Is this normal?

:confused:

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Looks can be deceiving, but what you describe would make me suspicious the headlamps were bumped off aim.

You either DIY or take it to a Pro. Any shop that does wheel alignments and/or state inspections (if you state has them, and requires checking headlamp aim).

Here's a guide for DIY:
https://www.autozone.com/repairguid...HTING/Headlights/_/P-0900c1528008c851#hd1-1-2

Another even easier and quicker check, you'll need some painter's masking tape, a vertical wall and 35' of level ground. You pull the vehicle up to the wall, in the center of the headlamps beams make a vertical/horizontal cross with the tape. Back the vehicle up 25', that is between the headlamps and the wall, the centers of the beams should be a few inches below and to the right of the Crosses. Figures I've seen most often used, about 6" below and 10" to the right.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
I just replaced my headlamp bulbs and noticed one was off and adjusted them myself. I just got this vehicle used and MD requires inspection only when the vehicle is purchased, so it was just inspected. So I'm wondering if I knocked the headlamp off aim trying to replace the bulbs? Or did the inspection shop blow off checking and adjusting the headlamps?

1st thing, the beam should shine in a fan pattern both vertically and horizontally (except low beam should have to top half of the fan pattern cut off). I noticed at night, some dust or fog can make portions of the beam more visible than others parts of the beam, so if you see what looks like a flashlight beam shining more toward one side, it might only be the dust/fog is in only one part of the beam making it look like that and in reality the beam is fine. In clear weather at night, you need to look at the pattern of light cast on the ground in front of the vehicle, that will be a big clue.

The next, just find a wall with 35 feet of flat ground, I used my local shopping plaza. At night pull up as close as possible to the wall, the most intense spot of the beam will be directly in front of the headlamps, then back straight up watching the most intense spot of the beam (of course make sure nothing is behind you). As you back up, that most intense spot should move downward (which is easy to see) and should move right (very hard to see) when you back up 25' the beam should have only dropped 6".

Sure I guesstimated the 25'. But its good to tell if the beam is way off, which my one headlamp was. If the beam stays the same height or goes higher, you know its needs adjusted. If the beam drops more than a few inches, more like feet, then you know it needs adjusted.

I could not tell the beam moving any toward the right, but it wasn't moving left, so I decided not to mess with it.

There will be a hole in the valence between the top of the grill and radiator when the hood is open, toward the outside of the headlamp fixture. If you peer into the hole with a flashlight, you'll see a little blue plastic screw head, it has multiple facets in a socket on the top of it, looks like a torx or allen key would work, but a philips head screwdriver works as well. But you'll need an extra long philips head screwdriver to reach that far down. You simply turn the blue plastic screw head to raise or lower the beam. As you do it, you see the headlamps have a separate reflector dish that is behind a seperate Trim ring the same color, the turn signals and park lamps are in the trim ring. You'll actually see the headlamp reflector dish tilt as you turn the screwdriver.

I didn't tape off reference points on the wall, the cinder block pattern of the wall made a good pattern to tell one beam was clearly very close to the 6" rule, if not dead on, and just adjusted the other beam to match.

I haven't looked up how to change the lateral aim of the headlamp beams, and I didn't adjust mine since I was not convinced they were off. But there is a white plastic bolt head facing 90° from the blue plastic screw head, just behind the blue plastic screw head, so I suspect if you turn that white plastic bolt head, it would turn the reflector dish in a way to adjust the latteral aim of the headlamps.

I was driving on the highway last night with other cars in clear weather, so I watch the headlamp patterns on the ground comparing mine to other vehicles, and I could not tell a difference, in some cases my pattern might have extended slightly farther, but I just installed OSRAM Night Breaker Ultimate bulbs that have tested to and claim to extend the beam a few feet farther by being brighter than the standard bulbs. More likely the higher color temp of the beam make the entire pattern more visible to the eye and thus the edges appear to the eye to extend further than warmer color temperatures of standard bulbs.

I had lots of oncoming traffic and not once did any flash their brights at me, so clearly I was not blinding oncoming traffic.

So you can argue, not precisely adjusted, but I'm convinced close enough that I don't have to bring it to a pro. I'm not a hazard on the road and I can see very well at night, better than before with the OEM bulbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts