Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger side headrest clips broke on their own and now the entire headrest has to be replaced per the dealer for $750.00. I thought surely this is covered under a recall or for safety reasons but he confirmed it is not. How can the clips break on their own without being involved in a wreck and it not be a recall issue? I have read older posts from 2017 with others having the same problem. Any one more recent with this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger side headrest clips broke on their own and now the entire headrest has to be replaced per the dealer for $750.00. I thought surely this is covered under a recall or for safety reasons but he confirmed it is not. How can the clips break on their own without being involved in a wreck and it not be a recall issue? I have read older posts from 2017 with others having the same problem. Any one more recent with this issue?
Happened in my 2012 as well. I used to adjust headrest a lot for comfort. Been two years and haven’t adjusted my headrest once on my 2018. So far so good

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,573 Posts
Register a complaint with the NHTSA, if they get enough complaints they will initiate an investigation and can issue a recall.

Manufacturers are not responsible to repair your vehicle, they do warranty the vehicle against defects in design, materials and workmanship. That is why warranties only last a certain length of time/use, because eventually things fail from wear and normal usage, that latter part they are not responsible for, including safety equipment...... .....and extended warranties are just "Service Contracts"....

But, anecdotally, there are way too many posts on these Active Head Rests failing, and they all fail for the same reason at the same point.... ....that really looks like a defect in materials or design to me, in piece of safety equipment..... ....so yea, register a complaint at the NHTSA, post a link here, perhaps we can get a recall started.....

The NHTSA is only for safety, they are not a Consumer Advocate, although IMO they do overstep their bounds often and do act like a Consumer Advocate..... ......so your carpet fades in color, that's not safety and the NHTSA's has no business getting involved with that... ....the AHR is safety equipment, so yes the NHTSA does have a roll.....

Search for the previous threads on the Active Head Rest here, I posted a video about it... ....the only reason these things are included on vehicles is because 80% of drivers don't adjust their seats, especially the head rest correctly, nor do they sit in the seat properly..... ....if you adjust your seat, head rest and sit in the seat properly, you do not need an AHR (of course anyone from the 80% would insist they do this, just like every bad driver insists they are good driver and every neglectful vehicle owner insists they take good care of their car)..... ....in those threads there is guy that showed how he fixed his headrest with large zip ties, of course this disabled the safety feature of it being able to extend in an accident, to meet the head of an occupant that does not have his seat or head rest adjusted properly, or not sitting in the seat properly....

·
Premium Member
2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L
767 Posts
4coopers,
A little light reading on the status of the AHR issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi 4coopers, very sorry to read about this. We are happy to help with this, can you send us a private message with your VIN and the dealer you spoke with? Thank you!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My passenger headrest just popped. I was sitting in a parking lot on a video conference, alone... Was just sitting there and it scared the crap out of me. Really glad my wife or kids weren't in the car when it decided to go out.
Just left the dealership and they quoted me $1,004.30 after tax to replace. @JeepCares

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi @Tisbury,

Thank you for tagging us. We have responded to your private message regarding this matter.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
288 Posts
My passenger headrest just popped. I was sitting in a parking lot on a video conference, alone... Was just sitting there and it scared the crap out of me. Really glad my wife or kids weren't in the car when it decided to go out.
Just left the dealership and they quoted me $1,004.30 after tax to replace. @JeepCares
I've read on other threads that Jeep has offered to fix on occasions, I wonder if you could escalate yours at the dealership to a regional level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited and this happened to me this morning. The passenger side headrest went off while my 15 year old daughter was sitting in the seat. It made a very loud noise and scared both of us. It's too early to know if she was injured, the headrest hit the top of her head as it expanded down. I am checking with the dealer tomorrow to see if there is a recall or bulletin to correct the problem. I also plan to contact the NHSTA. This is a dangerous defect.

@JeepCares

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi @Eshifflett,

Thank you for tagging us. Please send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage so that we can open a case to have this addressed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to us 2 days ago on our 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee. I was leaving my driveway when I heard a loud crack sound. It scared me half to death at the moment I didn't realize what it was until I got to work and saw the headrest. After reading all posts I am assuming its not covered by my warranty. It literally just expired last month. Was this resolved for you?

@JeepCares

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
This just happened to us 2 days ago on our 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee. I was leaving my driveway when I heard a loud crack sound. It scared me half to death at the moment I didn't realize what it was until I got to work and saw the headrest. After reading all posts I am assuming its not covered by my warranty. It literally just expired last month. Was this resolved for you?

@JeepCares
We're sorry to hear about your experience. We would be happy to look into this further for you. Our team is available via private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Srt8
2 Posts
@JeepCares I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee srt8 - this morning the passenger side headrest deployed into my wife’s head whilst we were parked up and stationary. I can’t believe how dangerous this is!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
@JeepCares I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee srt8 - this morning the passenger side headrest deployed into my wife’s head whilst we were parked up and stationary. I can’t believe how dangerous this is!
Hi @ajp2020,

We are terribly sorry to hear that this has happened. Please send our team a private message so that we can create a case for you.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me today. I was driving and heard a really loud pop/ rattle noise (almost took me off the road it was so abrupt) and thought maybe it was something in back like a beach chair and then I saw the passenger headrest popped open. Sound nearly took me off the road and I wasn’t in the passenger seat. I could only imagine if my wife was in the seat. This seems like a SERIOUS safety hazard, @JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passenger side headrest has deployed and the clip is broke and now driving around with this nonsense. Obviously this is an on going issue reading the above complaints, worse part is it seems to be a gap starting on the driver side headrest and really nervous this will also deploy while I'm driving. Jeep please do your part and fix this issue. @JeepCares

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Passenger side headrest has deployed and the clip is broke and now driving around with this nonsense. Obviously this is an on going issue reading the above complaints, worse part is it seems to be a gap starting on the driver side headrest and really nervous this will also deploy while I'm driving. Jeep please do your part and fix this issue. @JeepCares
Hi there, we are sincerely sorry to hear about this experience. Please send us a private message so that we may assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading this thread after having the same thing happen in my wife’s 2013 Grand Cherokee where the Passenger headrest deployed, thankfully while no one was sitting in the seat. Has anyone actually had any resolution other than paying a significant amount? It’s clearly a safety issue and a defect. Her Jeep has never been in an accident and only has 50,000 miles.

Thanks!

Hi there, we are sincerely sorry to hear about this experience. Please send us a private message so that we may assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I was reading this thread after having the same thing happen in my wife’s 2013 Grand Cherokee where the Passenger headrest deployed, thankfully while no one was sitting in the seat. Has anyone actually had any resolution other than paying a significant amount? It’s clearly a safety issue and a defect. Her Jeep has never been in an accident and only has 50,000 miles.

Thanks!
Hi there. We certainly hold your safety as a top priority. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

1 - 20 of 89 Posts