Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I
Hi everyone, please advise on what should be done with the activation of headrest that was parked in the garage. My wife's 2011 Jeep Liberty's driver seat head rests popped out a few days back. I took the vehicle to the local dealership for a regular oil change and service. They advised that the deployed headrest (AHR) cannot be fixed as there is a broken lock and needs to be replaced. Some online site (like Edmunds..) says this may be recalled item. Can anyone confirm @JeepCares @RP1161 @barover
I just had the same issue with my 2015 GC repaired by Jeep at no cost last week. JeepCares arranged it for me because I posted on this forum. The service manager told me Jeep had just issued a recall for the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. 11/16/20 and my headrest (2015 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x2), just failed/deployed as well. Just coasting in traffic and heard a loud pop. Headrest hit my son’s girlfriend in the back of the head. I understand from this forum that “Jeep” issued a recall? I can not locate that on the NHSTA recall site, or elsewhere. Can anyone confirm? Thanks for the help. Stay safe!
@JeepCares

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to a service manager I talked to they JUST issued it last week. He did not have details yet so I suspect it was an internal memo. Look for more details to come. In the meantime JeepCares may contact you as a result of your post to help you get it resolved. They are replacing them in most cases at no cost as far as I know.

·
Registered
All the Chrome
56 Posts
I understand from this forum that “Jeep” issued a recall? I can not locate that on the NHSTA recall site,
Technically, it's a warranty extension. A number of people, myself included, have received a letter from Chrysler Corporation stating that the original warranty for this equipment has been extended from 3 years/36,000 miles to 10 years/Unlimited miles.

From what's been reported recently, it appears that Chrysler it taking care of this issue whether you received the letter or not. Your dealer may take some prodding from @JeepCares, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Technically, it's a warranty extension. A number of people, myself included, have received a letter from Chrysler Corporation stating that the original warranty for this equipment has been extended from 3 years/36,000 miles to 10 years/Unlimited miles.

From what's been reported recently, it appears that Chrysler it taking care of this issue whether you received the letter or not. Your dealer may take some prodding from @JeepCares, though.
Thanks much for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to a service manager I talked to they JUST issued it last week. He did not have details yet so I suspect it was an internal memo. Look for more details to come. In the meantime JeepCares may contact you as a result of your post to help you get it resolved. They are replacing them in most cases at no cost as far as I know.
Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hello. 11/16/20 and my headrest (2015 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x2), just failed/deployed as well. Just coasting in traffic and heard a loud pop. Headrest hit my son’s girlfriend in the back of the head. I understand from this forum that “Jeep” issued a recall? I can not locate that on the NHSTA recall site, or elsewhere. Can anyone confirm? Thanks for the help. Stay safe!
@JeepCares
Hi @Skiboog4,

We're sorry to hear that this happened with your Jeep as well. To clarify, an extended warranty was released last week. If you would like additional support, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
JeepCares

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to me last night. My 7-year-old was sitting in the driver's seat as we were waiting for our family to show up at a restaurant. She turned around and put her hand on the headrest and it "exploded." Scared us all to death. So glad it did not go off while someone was driving. Any update on what is happening with this issue or who I need to contact?
@JeepCares
Brian Jones

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up calling the jeep customer service number on jeep.com when it happened to me last month. They told me there would be an extended warranty coming out on Nov 18th. So I took my '15 GC to the Jeep dealership after that date and they said that my headrest does fall under the warranty so I won't have to pay for it but the part won't be available until May. So I have to drive my car around with the front of the headrest popped out for six months. Luckily, I'm not one to drive with my head ll the way back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up calling the jeep customer service number on jeep.com when it happened to me last month. They told me there would be an extended warranty coming out on Nov 18th. So I took my '15 GC to the Jeep dealership after that date and they said that my headrest does fall under the warranty so I won't have to pay for it but the part won't be available until May. So I have to drive my car around with the front of the headrest popped out for six months. Luckily, I'm not one to drive with my head ll the way back.
Just got back from the jeep dealership. They confirmed this. It is not a recall, but is covered under an extended warranty for this issue. The earliest any parts will be available is May 5, 2021.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just got back from the jeep dealership. They confirmed this. It is not a recall, but is covered under an extended warranty for this issue. The earliest any parts will be available is May 5, 2021.
Hey Brian & Tom,

Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been having with your headrests. If you'd like additional support while working alongside your dealers to get this addressed, feel free to reach out to our team via private messages!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted the text below on a different thread, but this one appears to be more active:

Had the passenger headrest break on my 2013 Grand Cherokee while driving down the road...luckily my wife wasn't sitting in the seat, but the loud bang was really startling. Seems a lot of owners are having this issue. It's fairly obvious that this was either engineered incorrectly or inferior materials were used.
I see below where Chrysler extended the warranty...it's been increased to 10 years, but begins with year 2014? It appears that my headrest was manufactured the same way as a 2014...so what's the rational behind this decision?
And, I've seen where JeepCares can be tagged in a message...I've searched on how to do this but I'm coming up short...just typing it in doesn't appear to work...
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted the text below on a different thread, but this one appears to be more active:

Had the passenger headrest break on my 2013 Grand Cherokee while driving down the road...luckily my wife wasn't sitting in the seat, but the loud bang was really startling. Seems a lot of owners are having this issue. It's fairly obvious that this was either engineered incorrectly or inferior materials were used.
I see below where Chrysler extended the warranty...it's been increased to 10 years, but begins with year 2014? It appears that my headrest was manufactured the same way as a 2014...so what's the rational behind this decision?
And, I've seen where JeepCares can be tagged in a message...I've searched on how to do this but I'm coming up short...just typing it in doesn't appear to work...
Thanks
JeepCares seems to read every post, so they might respond without tagging. But I also got a good response about the warranty by calling the number under "Contact Us" on jeep.com. You might also get an answer by calling that. The number is 877-426-5337.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They called last week and said they had the part in. I got my new headrest put in last Friday. So they must have stepped up production to get the part two and a half months early.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger side headrest clips broke on their own and now the entire headrest has to be replaced per the dealer for $750.00. I thought surely this is covered under a recall or for safety reasons but he confirmed it is not. How can the clips break on their own without being involved in a wreck and it not be a recall issue? I have read older posts from 2017 with others having the same problem. Any one more recent with this issue?
We recently bought a low Kim second hand keep grand Cherokee 2014 model , had the same issue , passenger / front assisted head rest deployed spontaneously , with out warning , luckily my son wasn’t to hurt when jolting his head forward , same issue plastic clips fatigued and failed , can’t reset , waiting for out come from dealership , don’t want to get lumped with the cost of a factory fault in my opinion, as the forums reflect pretty common thing for this year model

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Thanks
Sorry for the delay in our response, this was due to an internal error and we do apologize. If you are still experiencing concerns with this, we would be happy to dig in further. Send our team a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My name is Ra Clayton. I am the owner of a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was researching how to get my front passenger Active Headrest Restraint to reset when I came across this thread about the matter.

Today, while trying to remove my newborn baby seat from the rear seat of my vehicle I leaned against the passenger headrest and it popped to me and my wife’s surprise. I tried to put it back the way it was but have had no luck. I planned to take it to the dealership this weekend to find out how to get this fixed. I am hoping they will fix this problem since it is a known issue.
Any help from you guys is appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The driver headrest popped last night on '15 GC 4x4. Thankfully I wasn't driving right then. I've got it taped up while I'm looking for repair options. If Jeep is offering an extended warranty, will it be covered since I bought it as a CPO in May 2019? Any info would be appreciated @JeepCares
Automotive design Hat Car Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The driver headrest popped last night on '15 GC 4x4. Thankfully I wasn't driving right then. I've got it taped up while I'm looking for repair options. If Jeep is offering an extended warranty, will it be covered since I bought it as a CPO in May 2019? Any info would be appreciated @JeepCares
View attachment 233228
Hi, LCarter. We're sorry to hear of this headrest concern and would be happy to dig in further. Have you visited the dealer yet for repairs?

Kate
Jeep Cares

41 - 60 of 90 Posts