Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Had heated washer on my '08 Buick Enclave and really loved it. Great for frosty mornings, tree sap, and bugs.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Why not just buy washer fluid containing methanol with a lower freezing point? I've seen it come in varieties that are good to 0°F or -20°F

·
Registered
697 Posts
Contemplated getting it for myself as well. My washer fluid is good to -35°F, sometimes even that's not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
468 Posts
I do not always have the right washer fluid in there so it sometimes freezes up. This would be a good kit to have.

How easy does it install?

found this: http://www.moparonlineparts.com/docs/82213161AB.pdf

At $165 I'll pass; lived without it in temps -35. Note that it taps into the cooling system, so you need to be warmed up to get any use from it. Using an electric battery blanket around the washer resrvoir might be a simpler solution. For those that need it;

http://www.moparinternational.com/assets/accessory/ISheets/K6861596AB.pdf

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
At $165 I'll pass; lived without it in temps -35. Note that it taps into the cooling system, so you need to be warmed up to get any use from it. Using an electric battery blanket around the washer resrvoir might be a simpler solution. For those that need it;

http://www.moparinternational.com/assets/accessory/ISheets/K6861596AB.pdf
Rats, I was hoping your link was for a suitable external electric style warmer/heater.

Tapping the cooling system is more pita work than I'd care to contemplate, but a fairly simple external wrap I'd seriously consider for sleet blizzards.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
LOL... it gets pretty damn cold here in WI and I've never had a problem with my washer fluid freezing up.

·
Registered
697 Posts
LOL... it gets pretty damn cold here in WI and I've never had a problem with my washer fluid freezing up.

Also in Wisconsin, I had -24° last winter on one of my outdoor cams. And that was without windchill. My washer fluid is -35F, and I still see icing/freeze up.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Also in Wisconsin, I had -24° last winter on one of my outdoor cams. And that was without windchill. My washer fluid is -35F, and I still see icing/freeze up.

I look at it this way... in weather like that, heated or not, it's still going to ice up once you spray it.

:D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
WoW - well with logic like that, one should never spray it then?

Sent from a iPad via NSA surveillance van #574.
It is what it is... are you having trouble with the logic? :D

Using your -24F air temp as an example, what is still going to be in a liquid form that would end up on your windshield and require the use of the washer?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Using your -24F air temp as an example, what is still going to be in a liquid form that would end up on your windshield and require the use of the washer?
A snow brush would be more useful :eek:

Hot Water Plus Cold Air Equalls INSTANT SNOW!! - YouTube

Heated wiper blades are also an option :D

Heated Windshield Wiper Blades | Everblades - The Hot Ones

Only freezing problem I ever had were the washer lines. A ford escape used one washer reservoir and had lines going to the rear wiper. Those lines froze with every freezing day. A block heater is money well spent.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts

If your vehicle is moving, the fluid will evaporate, and that can cool it below the freezing point... plus, the first to evaporate would be any alcohols, so if there's enough of it, the remnant water will freeze.

I doubt the heater or external blanket would truly deal with it 100%, any more than juicing up the fluid with about half pure isopropyl does, but freeway driving in blizzards below zero can put a lot of ice on the vehicle, enough the sensors get coated, the ACC takes the day off, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lived in Fairbanks Alaska, -50/-60 common, our Mercedes had heated washer fluid (coil in washer fluid tank from engine) really made a nice difference clearing ice and snow from windshield. I'd consider adding this if I still lived there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts