Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the heaters in their rig with the 3.0. I actually have a 2006 commander that I swapped the 3.0 drivetrain from an 07 grand. Most things worked out great from the swap and my wife daily drives it. Problem is the heater never gets very hot, honestly on a clod day its barely warm. Anyone have similar issues? I can't seem to get any info on the flow of the cooling system as the back of the engine coolant line feeds everything from the egr to the heater so I'm wondering if its just not moving through the heater core fast enough to warm or not warm enough period. I also know that the PTC heaters are not working but the coolant should be enough to heat the car after warm up.

Another note does anyone know who can flash a computer? I may end up needing a new one and all that's available is used which will have the wrong VIN in it.
Here's a pic of my rig too
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Thanks Rob
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Registered
348 Posts
It could be your blend door(s). I had a couple of mine break at the hinge/pivot point and had mostly cold air on one half of my 2008 3.0 CRD JGC. There are several blend doors that could be giving you problems, and it could be the infamous broken plastic hinge/pivot pin, or it could be the actuator itself.

If your Commander has dual climate control, you can run some simple tests by adjusting the temperature on the left/right to see whether both sides have the problem or only one side has the problem. It could be your fresh air blend door as well. I don't know the Commander, but there's probably a method to run the blend door actuators through some basic tests using a special sequence of button presses on the dash. Search youtube to learn the sequence of button presses to induce the test.

I ended up buying a couple simple repair kits on ebay, which essentially allow you to repair the blend door hinge/pivot pin using a special threaded pin in the repair kit. I also had a failed actuator, which I also purchased on ebay. You kind of have to "luck out" with how the hinge/pivot pin breaks in order to be able to use the simple ebay repair kit. These kits can't repair every situation, and it could cost about $1200+ to have your dash completely torn apart to have the blend doors all replaced. But it could be other things such as your thermostat.

I hope you luck out like I did. I think I had less than $150 into two repair kits and two actuators and they've been working well for a couple years. I wasn't so lucky with my 2000 JGC V8 a few years ago and I had to pay the big $$$ to have the entire dash torn apart.

Good luck..

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be your blend door(s). I had a couple of mine break at the hinge/pivot point and had mostly cold air on one half of my 2008 3.0 CRD JGC. There are several blend doors that could be giving you problems, and it could be the infamous broken plastic hinge/pivot pin, or it could be the actuator itself.

If your Commander has dual climate control, you can run some simple tests by adjusting the temperature on the left/right to see whether both sides have the problem or only one side has the problem. It could be your fresh air blend door as well. I don't know the Commander, but there's probably a method to run the blend door actuators through some basic tests using a special sequence of button presses on the dash. Search youtube to learn the sequence of button presses to induce the test.

I ended up buying a couple simple repair kits on ebay, which essentially allow you to repair the blend door hinge/pivot pin using a special threaded pin in the repair kit. I also had a failed actuator, which I also purchased on ebay. You kind of have to "luck out" with how the hinge/pivot pin breaks in order to be able to use the simple ebay repair kit. These kits can't repair every situation, and it could cost about $1200+ to have your dash completely torn apart to have the blend doors all replaced. But it could be other things such as your thermostat.

I hope you luck out like I did. I think I had less than $150 into two repair kits and two actuators and they've been working well for a couple years. I wasn't so lucky with my 2000 JGC V8 a few years ago and I had to pay the big $$$ to have the entire dash torn apart.

Good luck..
Thanks for replying.
I actually have a couple donor cars and pulled the dash out and completely (twice) and went through the heater box as well as manually changing the doors, still just warm air. The heater core is also new. I'm going to check the temps of the line in and out and go from there. I think it has to do more with the temp and flow of the coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts