Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see online that there are options for a standard duty and heavy duty radiator. As far as I can tell, the difference is a thicker core for HD. Does anyone know if the HD will directly fit a vehicle equipped with the SD radiator?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,634 Posts
I see online that there are options for a standard duty and heavy duty radiator. As far as I can tell, the difference is a thicker core for HD. Does anyone know if the HD will directly fit a vehicle equipped with the SD radiator?
Yes, they're totally compatible. I upgraded from a leaking OEM SD radiator to an aftermarket (direct replacement) HD radiator...

All attachments are done at the plastic side tanks, which are identical between HD/SD.... ...the SD core is thinner and much smaller than the side tanks, the HD core is thicker and the same size as the side tanks..... ...so really the SD radiator just has bigger gaps between the condenser/trans cooler and fan... ...the HD will just have less of a gap between the three that make that sandwich, but the overall dimensions of the total sandwich is the same.....

The parts are a bit delicate and difficult to get apart, its really designed to pull out the sandwich of the condenser/trans cooler, radiator and fan together and then take apart.....
But, AC laws and servicing creates a problem for the DIY'er.....

I was able to get the radiator out leaving the trans lines and AC lines connected and leaving the condenser/trans cooler in the vehicle.... ....I was not able to get the new radiator back in without disconnecting the trans lines, which makes a bit of a mess, but easy to replace the missing trans fluid.....(I have the 545RFE, that you just pour it down the trans tube, the ZF trans is more complicated to add and check trans fluid level)....

Be careful with the radiator, the lower mounting points for the condenser/trans cooler are flimsy and break easily, if you break them, don't worry, the sturdy upper mounts are what really hold the condenser/trans cooler in place, the lower just kind of keep it from moving around. I snapped one of the lower mounts clean off the radiator, never had a problem with the setup, so they are not that important.....

I just had to replace my condenser/trans cooler (started leaking trans fluid and pretty bad). So I had to have the refrigerant recovered (since it illegal to release it into the air) but I do have the tools to vacuum down and recharge it myself. I can tell you, pulling the condenser/transcooler and radiator assembled, then assemblying them before re-installing is much easier, I wouldn't have snapped one of my mounts off my radiator if I did this the first time.... ....but its a matter of if its worth the time and cost of recovering and re-servicing the AC.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. As for the installation and AC recovery, I’m a certified auto body tech and AC service technician, and I have access to my employers AC machine, so that’s not an issue for me. I’ve installed plenty of condensers and radiators, and agree with your assessment that it’s easier to do the cooling pack as an assembly. I’m glad to hear the HD radiator will fit without a problem.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,634 Posts
Thanks for the info. As for the installation and AC recovery, I’m a certified auto body tech and AC service technician, and I have access to my employers AC machine, so that’s not an issue for me. I’ve installed plenty of condensers and radiators, and agree with your assessment that it’s easier to do the cooling pack as an assembly. I’m glad to hear the HD radiator will fit without a problem.
Oh, then definitely, with access to those tools and having those skills, its definitely better to pull the sandwich as a unit (recovering the refrigerant) and stripping it down, building it back up again, to re-install.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, they're totally compatible. I upgraded from a leaking OEM SD radiator to an aftermarket (direct replacement) HD radiator...

All attachments are done at the plastic side tanks, which are identical between HD/SD.... ...the SD core is thinner and much smaller than the side tanks, the HD core is thicker and the same size as the side tanks..... ...so really the SD radiator just has bigger gaps between the condenser/trans cooler and fan... ...the HD will just have less of a gap between the three that make that sandwich, but the overall dimensions of the total sandwich is the same.....

The parts are a bit delicate and difficult to get apart, its really designed to pull out the sandwich of the condenser/trans cooler, radiator and fan together and then take apart.....
But, AC laws and servicing creates a problem for the DIY'er.....

I was able to get the radiator out leaving the trans lines and AC lines connected and leaving the condenser/trans cooler in the vehicle.... ....I was not able to get the new radiator back in without disconnecting the trans lines, which makes a bit of a mess, but easy to replace the missing trans fluid.....(I have the 545RFE, that you just pour it down the trans tube, the ZF trans is more complicated to add and check trans fluid level)....

Be careful with the radiator, the lower mounting points for the condenser/trans cooler are flimsy and break easily, if you break them, don't worry, the sturdy upper mounts are what really hold the condenser/trans cooler in place, the lower just kind of keep it from moving around. I snapped one of the lower mounts clean off the radiator, never had a problem with the setup, so they are not that important.....

I just had to replace my condenser/trans cooler (started leaking trans fluid and pretty bad). So I had to have the refrigerant recovered (since it illegal to release it into the air) but I do have the tools to vacuum down and recharge it myself. I can tell you, pulling the condenser/transcooler and radiator assembled, then assemblying them before re-installing is much easier, I wouldn't have snapped one of my mounts off my radiator if I did this the first time.... ....but its a matter of if its worth the time and cost of recovering and re-servicing the AC.....
I'm doing the same thing. I ordered an all aluminum HD radiator, aluminum condenser, and a 180 degree thermostat to help keep my Jeep's engine cooler when towing. Has your new radiator made any noticeable difference on your engine cooling?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,634 Posts
No, because I have not tow'ed and heavy loads...... .....the thermostat holds the temperature that it should.....

The HD cooling also includes a larger fan that is PWM controlled.... ....that does not look easy to retrofit, since its a whole other wireness and probably other components doing the PWM that I can not find explained in any sources....

Running a lower thermostat isn't going to help much and can hurt a lot in the long run.... ....engines running at the wrong temperature can cause problems down the road, valve deposits, combustion chamber deposits, more cylinder and ring wear, etc, etc.....

A cooler thermostat will open all the way sooner, so it might stave off the over heating a little bit, but once its fully open how is that any different than when the 203°F is fully open? If the temp goes over 203°F its still going to go over 203°F with a cooler thermostat in the same conditions.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts