Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the total height of the 2014 GC when they are in sport mode. I have a parking garage in the city that I park in frequently, but the height is only 5'10" and I want to make sure the new truck will fit and not tear up the shark fin antenna.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Thats gonna be cutting it close. Geez, they really dont want a whole lot of anything except cars in there lol. Im trying to remember how high the roof was when standing next to my 2012 Overland. I typically had it in sport mode and I think I remember the roof line being pretty equal with the height of my eyes when standing next to it. I am about 5'11 or 6ft tall. Like I said its gonna be tight. Wish I had actual numbers for you, but I sold my Overland so I cant go out and measure it. The height should be the same as the earlier Overland's with air suspension so I would imagine someone can get you those numbers.

Even if the Jeep can make it in sport mode, but none of the other modes I dont know if you want to risk it. There is gonna be that one time you forget to drop it to park/exit or sport mode and your gonna destroy the roof of your new truck. You WILL forget it one time, that kind of stuff just happens.

·
Super Moderator
9,277 Posts
I believe you want "park mode" for parking, not "sport mode". Sport is front low. Park is "all low".

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
427 Posts
But you can drive in Park Mode correct? So Sport Mode only lowers the front and not the rear?

That is correct. Or you can pull the M2 fuse and drive in park mode ALL the time regardless of speed. Totally changes the way the jeep looks and drives!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Eyeballing my '12 from a tape in park mode, it's around 5'9" estimating for the new shark fin. My guess is you might want to swing the test drive by the garage before you buy.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
What is the speed limitation on driving in Park Mode?

I forget offhand what the speed limitation is (guessing around 15mph before it raises it up), but I know you can easily cruise around in parking lots in park mode. So like mentioned above your best bet would be to go as low as it will go and use park mode. That seems really goofy that this parking garage is that low! So that means most SUV's will probably not fit. I mean heck, most people will have to duck to walk through that.

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
That is correct. Or you can pull the M2 fuse and drive in park mode ALL the time regardless of speed. Totally changes the way the jeep looks and drives!!!
Really? Please do tell where that is located.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
427 Posts
In the fuse box m2 fuse. Look at manual. It controls the air suspension and the elsd. Put the car in park mode, turn it off. Open fuse box take fuse out. That's it. The car will drive in park mode all the time regardless of speed. No rubbing no noise going over bumps. Only downside is you can't lift it up until you put the fuse back in!!!

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
In the fuse box m2 fuse. Look at manual. It controls the air suspension and the elsd. Put the car in park mode, turn it off. Open fuse box take fuse out. That's it. The car will drive in park mode all the time regardless of speed. No rubbing no noise going over bumps. Only downside is you can't lift it up until you put the fuse back in!!!
Instant "Low Rider"!:cool:

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,010 Posts
Interesting. Is there any enhanced fuel economy benefits ? Someone has to test this. Same stretch of road, 10 miles, 60 mph on cruise control. Test it as follows:
- in 3 modes (fuse pulled; normal, sport mode)
- back to back tests (to minimize temperature, wind factors)
- in the same direction (to minimize any terrain / ascent/descent factors)
- resetting the fuel economy each time in the same way (preferably when you reach 60 mph on cruise control)
- 10 miles distance @ 60 mph speed on cruise control

Report back. If you travel somewhere loooong distance on the highway, if it nets 1-2 mpgs, it might be useful to do it on the highway portion only. Say Chicago to Denver - 1000 miles of highway. Pull the fuse. I would rather have a hack (via Lockpick or similar) so I could drop it in Park mode for the "bestest" aero drag coefficient but if it takes a fuse, I will do it.

Also in this document
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2014/2014_wk2_specifications.pdf
it will give the car's height on page 5 or 6
Overall Height (at Roof Rail / at Antenna) 69.3 (1761) / 70.0 (1779)

·
Registered
972 Posts
IMHO before I pulled any fuses I would want to know the long term suspension problems associated with constantly staying in the Park position.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any updates on this? Has anyone pulled the M2 fuse and been running it in park mode? Just curious if you have encountered any issues over time or if all is dandy?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any updates on this? Has anyone pulled the M2 fuse and been running it in park mode? Just curious if you have encountered any issues over time or if all is dandy?
Ok, so I tried doing this last night and I can't for the life of me find a fuse called "M2"?? Am I missing something??

The only thing I found close that mentioned the Air Suspension was a fuse in the F05 cavity.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

·
Registered
877 Posts
But you can drive in Park Mode correct? So Sport Mode only lowers the front and not the rear?
I don't believe this is correct.

When I put my 2012 into Sport Mode, I can clearly see both the Front and Rear ends go Down.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If I recall correctly, sport mode lowers the suspension by 0.6 inches (compared to normal ride height). The GC also does this automatically on the highway to improve aerodynamic efficiency.

·
Registered
'14 GC Overland
108 Posts
I don't believe this is correct.

When I put my 2012 into Sport Mode, I can clearly see both the Front and Rear ends go Down.
My 2011 it dropped evenly as well. I believe it would go back to normal height at around 15 mph. The only thing about doing either park/sport mode is if the parking attendant starts whaling around when brings it back it will be back at normal ride height or if left in sport mode and then re-started it will default back to standard height. That sure is a low entry for a public garage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts