Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

long time jeep owner, have had several over the years, currently have a 71 gladiator project, a 99 xj project, almost 6 inches of lift, long arms, and currently upgrading to a WJ steering system braking system, and lots of other goodies, another 99 project and a 2K xj with about 325K miles that is a daily driver, and purchased an 04 WJ that was going to be a daily driver till i started having transmission problems, which brings me to this forum. going to post my trans questions in what i hope is the right area and see how it goes.
just wanted to say hello to everyone here first.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to this forum.
A '99 XJ is one of the most sought after XJs. Good score!
My 2K XJ is around 370K miles and still running strong and its my DD during fair weather.

One thing to be concerned about with that 2K XJ is the infamous head crack and also with the 2001 XJs.
But i get the feeling you know that already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i have an extra engine, and an extra head just waiting for it to go. both have been taking up way too much room in my garage,must have gotten 1 of the good ones. this one is starting to sound like a bus full of steel bearings rolling side over side down a hill. then some days purrs like a kitten, x2 on the 99's i have a D-60 set waiting to find a 99 2 door for,.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Check out 'clear water' i think out of Florida for replacement 2K and 2001 heads.
They re-engineered the casting which makes their 331 compatible heads bullet proof.

Just a FYI, my 2K OEM head made it up to 300+K miles with no cracked head issues albeit with never an engine over heating issue in that time period.
The 331 heads do have a casting flaw but i think that an overheated engine which can be a challenge with these 4.0's can minimize the head crack.

Yep, the out of the ordinary 2 door XJ's rule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts