Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up a 2005 GC Limited 5.7 with 65k in black over charcoal for my wife.

The 05 will replace her 2010 Subaru Impreza and my 98 5.9 GC.

The niner is on 33" BFg AT KOs with Crager Soft 8s and 4.5" RE springs, IRO and RC fixed/adjustable arms, Bilstein 5100s, and some other goodies. Before the lift a couple years ago it was a street Jeep with H&Rs, 20s with 275/45, Bilstein HDs.

Also had a 96 GC 5.2 Limited with 18s, H&Rs, Vortech blower, etc. that i flipped at 80 on the freeway. And, an 87 Cherokee Limited that was bone stock.

Current plans for the 05 are new brakes with slotted rotors, factory tow package install, H&Rs with air helpers for towing, WK Bilstein HDs, 20x9 Viper Reps, color matched grill, front tint. Basically, recreating my niner before the lift but newer with more power, and less luxury.

·
The Negotiator
5,349 Posts
Welcome to JeepGarage!!

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
2,396 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!

So from what I've read - WK Bilsteins and H&Rs/Eibachs aren't the way to go. This was the basic package that was on both of my ZJs and the drove, felt, and handled great. The 96 was an inch and a half or so lower than the stock 5.9 on similar sized wheel package (stock niner wheels with 1/2" taller tires on the niner, 18s on the 96 about 1/2" taller than stock) - my parents owned the niner before I bought it from them so they were parked next to each other occasionally.

Anyway, SRT Bilsteins are over my budget so if WK Bilsteins aren't going to get 1 1/2" or so drop there really isn't much use in lowering it - also, I want the HD Bilsteins rather than the SRTs to handling tow load.

I know a thing or two about chassis setup and suspension design and setup - I have a mostly-fully-prepared ASP autrocross 04 STi on KW V3 Coilovers, tons of bushings, camber plates, blah blah blah. This also means that I don't need the 05 to drive like a race car - I have two (building a budget track/autox beater Miata). But, I do need it to feel good and solid in the mountains, handle a car/hauler behind, and keep the wife happy for commuting. It just baffles me that everyone says WK Bilsteins don't allow the drop springs to drop as much as they should - if perch height-to-lower-mount is the same distance between each WK strut variation, each should allow the car to sit at exactly the same height unless you're sitting on the shock's bump stop. My STi sits no lower/higher with the struts set to full stiff as it does set to full soft - a difference between wallowing like a stock WK and riding like a hardtail chopper.

So, I'll ask this over in the WK Suspension Thread that's too long to practically retrieve information from, but anyone know where I can find pictures of a 5.7 05-07 on WK Bilsteins and some lowering springs, preferably Eibachs, SRT Eibachs, and H&Rs, as well as the same on SRT Bilsteins?

(still skeptical on the SRTs ability to handle a full trailer load).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts