Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Gr Cherokee Limited (5.7 Hemi 145k miles) has been stalling. It does it when driving and temp, weather, speed, etc have no effect on when it stalls. It has stalled at idle, too. Took it to the dealer and have replaced the starter, PCM, spark plugs, had a throttle service done and it is still stalling out. It has restarted right away each time, but it's dangerous as you lose steering and braking. It has only thrown the ASD code, and dealer says they can't figure out why. The new issue (as of yesterday) is that the dealer now says the powder coating on the wiring harness has dry rotted off most of the harness and it might be that. Well, Jeep has discontinued the replacement wiring harness and I cannot get another. The dealer said that's basically my tough luck, and their suggestion was to drive it until it stalls out and won't re-start. They said maybe it would then throw a code that would help. I asked if they realized that was putting me in danger of a serious accident (and possible death) and they said yes, but there was nothing they could do. I called Jeep main number, and was told they could not help and that dealerships were independently owned with no oversight. I find all of this hard to believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated...sorry for the long post, but it's a lot of info.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,828 Posts
There is NO idle air control valve on a Hemi....it's built into the throttle body. For starters, make sure the transmission fluid level is absolutely correct when completely warmed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I saw that about the transmission fluid on another site, as well. Definitely worth checking!

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Are you up to date with recalls?

the ignition switch recall is kinda important.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,828 Posts
X2 on what tomk said above. In many cases, with the ignition switch, there was quite a bit of fore warning that something wasn't right. They usually don't work one minute and not the next.....but, maybe yours does????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recall has been done already. I got a call from the dealer yesterday afternoon, and they have made this a "Star" case. So, that means they are working directly with Chrysler on this to try and troubleshoot the problem. I have a second vehicle to use, so they are keeping the car for a few days to see what they can find out. Dealer is trying now and working with me which is great, and appreciated. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to ask if this jeep sat for a while and also if the pcm was replaced because i do remember the pcm was recalled on the 2006 thru 2009 models of jeeps.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit WK2 5.7 Hemi
4 Posts
I also have to ask, since this has been an issue on both a JGC and a Jeep liberty limited, but have you checked the catalytic converter to make sure it either isn't clogged or broke off a piece and lodged against the outlet of your exhaust??? This would happen when you either accelerate or even just start and it would be random but stop happening for a little while once the engine stops and the "piece" falls away and allows the back pressure to escape... No code popped up for us but it definitely was noticeable when it either had no power or would just die... Just my two cents...

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit WK2 5.7 Hemi
4 Posts
THAT was a chevy though... lol!!! J/K I loved me some Chevies back in the day and a fair share of Pontiacs...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 97 GC with the 6 cylinder and a 01 GC with the 8 cylinder and both would randomly quit running, sometimes at highway speed sometimes idling, at first they would start right back up but as time went on they would take longer and longer.
Both were caused by failing crank position sensors, the 97 was easy to change on the fly and I always kept a spare, the 99 needed the front wheel removed. I couldn’t believe two completely different engines would have the same exact issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Gr Cherokee Limited (5.7 Hemi 145k miles) has been stalling. It does it when driving and temp, weather, speed, etc have no effect on when it stalls. It has stalled at idle, too. Took it to the dealer and have replaced the starter, PCM, spark plugs, had a throttle service done and it is still stalling out. It has restarted right away each time, but it's dangerous as you lose steering and braking. It has only thrown the ASD code, and dealer says they can't figure out why. The new issue (as of yesterday) is that the dealer now says the powder coating on the wiring harness has dry rotted off most of the harness and it might be that. Well, Jeep has discontinued the replacement wiring harness and I cannot get another. The dealer said that's basically my tough luck, and their suggestion was to drive it until it stalls out and won't re-start. They said maybe it would then throw a code that would help. I asked if they realized that was putting me in danger of a serious accident (and possible death) and they said yes, but there was nothing they could do. I called Jeep main number, and was told they could not help and that dealerships were independently owned with no oversight. I find all of this hard to believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated...sorry for the long post, but it's a lot of info.
I had this same problem. My husband replace several things. I quit using my key fob and haven't had an issue since. Some kind of security issue where the jeep thinks it was stolen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 97 GC with the 6 cylinder and a 01 GC with the 8 cylinder and both would randomly quit running, sometimes at highway speed sometimes idling, at first they would start right back up but as time went on they would take longer and longer.
Both were caused by failing crank position sensors, the 97 was easy to change on the fly and I always kept a spare, the 99 needed the front wheel removed. I couldn’t believe two completely different engines would have the same exact issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. That is what the dealer is doing now. Should be ready Monday. I hope this does it, but it's going to take a while before I trust it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't use the key fob a lot, so not sure if that would be the issue. I live in a small town and don't lock my car often, so I rarely use it, but thank you for the suggestion. It's worth trying!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PCM was just replaced, and I will definitely check on the recall as I paid full price for the job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts