Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I found out today from my mechanic that the bright yellow/green fluid leak is actually refrigerant (aka Freon) from my A/C system and not antifreeze. There is no leak in my cooling system.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
It should be fluorescent yellow/green dye that is added to the refrigerant and probably in the oil that leak out with the refrigerant and is dripping down, the actual refrigerant is colorless and evaporates the moments it hits atmospheric pressure. And the AC usually doesn't come from the factory with Dye, but sometimes I've heard it does. Have you had a leak in the past and had the system topped off? They usually add dye to help find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
It should be fluorescent yellow/green dye that is added to the refrigerant and probably in the oil that leak out with the refrigerant and is dripping down, the actual refrigerant is colorless and evaporates the moments it hits atmospheric pressure. And the AC usually doesn't come from the factory with Dye, but sometimes I've heard it does. Have you had a leak in the past and had the system topped off? They usually add dye to help find the source of the leak.
That's what my mechanic said the fluid is. He said that there is a leak in the condenser probably caused by a stone puncturing it. He's ordering a new condenser and will install it next Monday June 1st. I'm hopeful that this repair will solve the problem.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
Miscommunication, or the mechanic simplified it for you, you do have a leak, no doubt and the fluorescent dye used in AC is hard to mistake for something else. But the stuff you're seeing is what leaks out with the refrigerant, the oil and dye mixed together, the refrigerant itself there is no way it would remain liquid and be there for you to see, not unless the temperature was -40°F when you were looking at the leak.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Miscommunication, or the mechanic simplified it for you, you do have a leak, no doubt and the fluorescent dye used in AC is hard to mistake for something else. But the stuff you're seeing is what leaks out with the refrigerant, the oil and dye mixed together, the refrigerant itself there is no way it would remain liquid and be there for you to see, not unless the temperature was -40°F when you were looking at the leak.
I'm not sure what your point is because I think we are on the same page but OK!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
We are, I'm only pointing out what refrigerant is and how it works. Yes, you surely have leak, but no you're not seeing refrigerant dripping off the drain cock of the radiator

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We are, I'm only pointing out what refrigerant is and how it works. Yes, you surely have leak, but no you're not seeing refrigerant dripping off the drain cock of the radiator
I agree, on further examination I can see (just barely way down there) that the refrigerant is not leaking from the radiator drain petcock. It just looks that way because there is evidence of the leak directly below the petcock on the lower plastic panel.
Thanks for all of your input. I'll be glad to get this issue behind me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's what my mechanic said the fluid is. He said that there is a leak in the condenser probably caused by a stone puncturing it. He's ordering a new condenser and will install it next Monday June 1st. I'm hopeful that this repair will solve the problem.
The new condenser was installed and all is well now. $521 including parts and labor and it was well worth it!
Here's a YouTube video showing how to remove and replace the condenser. Looks like a bear of a job!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
I replaced the condenser myself when mine sprung a leak in the transmission cooler portion. Its not as bad as it looks, but its does add a lot of time compared to many past models. I did it for $120, but take solace in the fact that $521 is a lot less than the Dealerships are charging to install a new condenser, I see posts of a $1,000+.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I replaced the condenser myself when mine sprung a leak in the transmission cooler portion. Its not as bad as it looks, but its does add a lot of time compared to many past models. I did it for $120, but take solace in the fact that $521 is a lot less than the Dealerships are charging to install a new condenser, I see posts of a $1,000+.
Good for you. Not all of us are either inclined or able to do some of these repairs ourselves. I do however, shop around for reasonable cost repairs and sometimes even buy my parts online and pay the professionals to install them. I would only go to a dealer for a repair if it is warranty work. I'm 73 and way past trying to prove anything other than using good judgement.
Thanks for your input.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts