Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
So on my 2021 GC Altitude with base 6 speaker radio, I installed some Infinity Reference speakers. Components at the front and regular ones at the rear.

After trying the radio for a couple of minutes I realized that there was no sound from the front driver side channel.

I installed the stock woofer and still no sound.

I measured the resistance and I found that the Infinity crossover was shorted on the tweeter line.

Is that channel on my radio burnt. Anything that can be done to fix that easily??

I am in Canada and bought the speakers from a seller on Amazon in the US. He'll probably send me a crossover but I doubt he's willing to do anything about the radio. The car has only 2500 miles!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that when I turn the volume up and I balance and fade to the bad channel only, I hear some faint music on another of the channels.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Most modern car stereo output stage circuitry is designed to be short and open circuit proof.
But thats not a 100% guarantee that the output transistors can't be blown with a faulty after market crossover.
Hope thats not the case.

Seeing its a brand new GC what i would do is put everything back to stock and see what happens.
If the problem still exists and i hate to say this one option is to take it back to the dealer under the B to B warranty.
Be prepared for the worse If they suspect or find out you tried to modify the stereo system then you could be SOL with a hefty out of pocket expense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that is pretty much what I was thinking but I was hoping for something easy that could sovle my problem, like a blown fuse. I don't know much about electronics but I would also be surprised that the defective cross over would burn the channel. Unless the opposite could also happen.

I was thinkingnof doing what you suggest. I have the holes that I made in the plastic to mount the cross over. Anyways , I am going on vacation next week so I'll take care of that afterwards. Will keep posted

I was also looking for the schematics of the radio but could not find it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you're still out there, did you disconnect the crossover and just run the speaker with the stock speaker wiring?
But first:
Double check the wiring?
Ohm out that channel's new speaker itself to make sure its not shorted or open circuited.
Some of these fancy speakers with a separate built in tweeter have their own embedded crossover circuitry.
Try the OEM speaker with the stock wiring?

A blown fuse would almost certainly affect the entire stereo and not just one channel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did try with the original speaker and nothing. I made sure everything is properly plugged. I did not splice anything, I used Metra adapters from the original wiring to the crossover (I did have to cut the adapter to install fork connectors for the crossover).
I also measured the resistance on the new woofer and tweeter and it is 2.5 ohms each. The crossover tweeter line out gives 0 ohms.

I was hoping for an internal fuse on each channel or something lime that...

By searching on the web I see that there is also an ANC module? Is that on the stock radio also? If so would it be worthy to check for signal before the ANC (upstream if that makes sense...). If it is only this, then I can just buy an amp (good excuse🙂, sell the idea to my wife that it is the cheapest fix!)

·
Registered
JGC
444 Posts
I installed the Infinity Reference speakers without the Infinity crossover and they sound great. Pull the crossovers from the front doors and use the stock wires plus metra connectors and see if it works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah well I switched the bad crossover and the tweeter from the driver side to the passenger side and that channel stopped working also.
So I measured the crossovers and they botj give the same values. The tweeters also.

I put back the original woofers minus the tweeters because I damaged one of the original ones and the radio works now fine.

So I now have 6.5 Infinity Reference (3 ohms) in the rear doors with only original woofers in the front doors. The sound is good, I would say slightly better than original, minus maybe some highs but not even sure. It is also louder. Maybe because the tweeters are missing.

So any guesses to what happened? Were the speakers requiring too much power? Although one side was working fine. I put back the door panels so I can't experiment any more.

Should I get speakers with lower power? As I said I will return those and get something else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed the Infinity Reference speakers without the Infinity crossover and they sound great. Pull the crossovers from the front doors and use the stock wires plus metra connectors and see if it works.

Do you have the 6 speaker radio?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yeah well I switched the bad crossover and the tweeter from the driver side to the passenger side and that channel stopped working also.
So I measured the crossovers and they botj give the same values. The tweeters also.

I put back the original woofers minus the tweeters because I damaged one of the original ones and the radio works now fine.

So I now have 6.5 Infinity Reference (3 ohms) in the rear doors with only original woofers in the front doors. The sound is good, I would say slightly better than original, minus maybe some highs but not even sure. It is also louder. Maybe because the tweeters are missing.

So any guesses to what happened? Were the speakers requiring too much power? Although one side was working fine. I put back the door panels so I can't experiment any more.

Should I get speakers with lower power? As I said I will return those and get something else.
Good news as the stereo doesn't seem to be blown.(y)

Help me get this straight cause its a little confusing.
-Its not clear why you didn't install the NEW speakers in the front doors? Explain.
-When you say you measured the crossover values, what crossovers OEM or aftermarket? What values?
-What about the aftermarket crossover you said was shorted? Is it gone now?
-How was the tweeter damaged?

Offhand i'd think the speaker's input impedance has nothing to do with this especially considering the NEW speakers work in the rear from what you've said.

As i said the output stages of these radios are somewhat short circuit proof.
Having said that a dead short circuit on the radio's output channel will squash any kind of output sound from that channel.

It could be the original issue was caused either by that shorted aftermarket crossover or the speaker wires to the speaker were switched depending on the wiring and grounds either of which would load down that channel with a short circuit.
Remember the stereo is referenced to the vehicle's ground so one terminal on the speaker is typically referenced to ground.
Depending on how you wired up the new speakers, If you hard wired one of the speaker's terminals to ground at the speaker area or somehow that crossover grounded one of the speaker terminals THEN IF the two speaker wires were switched around the radio amp's output would have an instant short circuit.
This is not likely as speakers are typically isolated from ground with its ground reference at the stereo and not at the speaker area. But if the crossover was grounded to the chassis and the speaker wires switched might be something to think about.
In other words keep the speaker and any crossover grounds in mind.

Without a wiring diagram on what you initially did and how you wired everything up its all assumptions and guessing at this point.

·
Registered
2020 WK2 Limited X
355 Posts
The 3 ohm may have shown too low of impedance to the deck. Hard to tell, but radio didnt like it sounds like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's the 6 speaker radio. No factory crossovers.

- I removed the new speakers and put back the original ones so I can return the new ones that did not work ok. I will buy other speakers later and try again.

- I measured the after marked crossover values. At the positive and negative of tweeters. It was 3.7 ohms and 0.8 for both of them, depending if the 0db /3db switch was pushed or not. So since the values were equal I don't think that the crossovers were shorted.

- my OEM tweeter was damaged when I tried to open it up. My fault completely. But it is with one of the aftermarket tweeters that one channel was gone. And when I installed that tweeter and crossover on the other channel, that second channel was gone too.

After this, I tried connwcting one of the original woofers to one channel and then the other one and there was still no sound.

It is only after I put back BOTH original woofers that the sound came back.

I tried to make sure that no wires were switched and everything was hooked properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 3 ohm may have shown too low of impedance to the deck. Hard to tell, but radio didnt like it sounds like.
It is true that the rear Infinity speakers work with no problem. On the front ones, one channel was fine with the new speakers.

·
Registered
2014 JGC
25 Posts
If you haven't done so, check out Crutchfield. I am lucky enough to live near one of their retail stores, but they do a lot of mail order business. Top notch folks with lots of technical info available, they should be able to help you find something that will definitely work and provide support after the sale if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you haven't done so, check out Crutchfield. I am lucky enough to live near one of their retail stores, but they do a lot of mail order business. Top notch folks with lots of technical info available, they should be able to help you find something that will definitely work and provide support after the sale if needed.

Thanks, yes I know them. For now I will wait a while. Just bought a bicycle for my little one and maybe get some HID bulbs before that. With the 6.5 Infinity Reference in the rear doors I can wait a few months before tackling this again.
I know Crutchfield also sells in Canada. Do they have specials from time to time?

·
Registered
JGC
444 Posts
@shrike77 Yes, Crutchfield regularly puts the Infinity Speakers on sale.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
176 Posts
I could be wrong but it sounds like the head unit doesn’t have enough power for the components if I’m reading your post correctly. Did you try hooking up the front components without the crossover directly to each individual lead? (component tweet to factory tweet lead...etc)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
This is still confusing as to what you did, what you didn't do, tweeters?, what works now, the aftermarket crossover and what doesn't work with all 4 new speakers installed.

This is what i've gathered so far right or wrong
All 4 of the stock speakers front and rear work?
The two new speakers work in the rear?
Only one of the new speakers works in the front pass door, no sound out of the new speaker in the driver's door?
The aftermarket crossover is now totally out of the picture?
Its not clear, have you measured the input impedance of the new speaker that didn't work in the driver's door?

If all the above is more or less true (hard to tell for sure) then it logically seems one of the new speakers is defective.
Might try swapping the new speaker in the driver's door with the new speaker in the pass side door and see if the no sound follows the new speaker that was originally installed in the driver's door.

Reactions: ssopus

·
Registered
JGC
444 Posts
Agree with moparado, switch out the passenger door new Infinity with the passenger side.
Regarding whether or not the stock amp can power the Infinity's, I have all 9 Alpine's swapped with Infinity Reference and it sounds great ... all speakers work fine. Though, I did not use the Infinity crossover's ... didn't see the need.
Also, likely just coincidence, but I did have some issues with the front drivers door speaker not working due to the metra harness "female connectors" needing to really be crimped on hard. Thought all were crimped on tight and the only one I had to redo was the drivers door. Now all is great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts