Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone looking for some help! okay desperately needing guidance! My 08 grand Cherokee Laredo will not pass inspection because e-brake handle is broken and will not hold while in reverse. I have the center console apart and have replaced the e-brake arm....but I can’t get the tension right or tighten it. Any words of wisdom or video recommendations would be a huge help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Years ago, I had a Dodge Coronet. The brake held normally in fwd., but would slip a bit in reverse. Over the years I tried a few other brands of cars, did the same thing. If I tightened the cable the brake would drag. Haven't seen what it would do on the GC yet. And actually its called a parking brake. It's meant to use mainly for parking, not under power. Yes it will be extremely helpful when the normal brakes fail. Don't have them type of inspections in this area though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grub! My daughter has a newer compass and it doesn’t hold on reverse either. It’s driving me crazy and I have a feeling I am going to have to go back out and try and remove back seat.
I live in a state where it is now part of the safety inspection. and yes it is the parking brake, I grew up with it being called the e-brake hence verbiage. Maybe that’s a New England thing :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just tried it today. I was on ice, and pulled the e brake, the wheels lock up, but being all time 4wd, it moved anyway. I'll have to find bare blacktop someplace, Northern WI don't have much of that right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts