Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small leak coming out of this under the front of my WK2 in between the two front wheels at about the mid point of the vehicle. I am pretty sure it's power steering fluid because my reservoir has gotten low. I can't find the part tho, having looked at some schematics. Anyone been through this? Can't tell but that looks like a coupler?

Gas Cylinder Auto part Pipe Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Font Map Auto part Parallel Art

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
433 Posts
It is difficult to tell from your pictures what it is. To me, it appears more like brake fluid than power steering fluid. Power steering fluid may start out clear, but gets a bit "dirty" in color. Brake fluid generally stays a clear/pale yellow color. Also, the fitting looks very rusted, brake fluid is hygroscopic, it collects and retains moisture. The moisture would promote rest after the fluid leaked from the lines.

Have you followed the metal line to see where it goes on either end?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,076 Posts
Pretty sure that's a brake line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is difficult to tell from your pictures what it is. To me, it appears more like brake fluid than power steering fluid. Power steering fluid may start out clear, but gets a bit "dirty" in color. Brake fluid generally stays a clear/pale yellow color. Also, the fitting looks very rusted, brake fluid is hygroscopic, it collects and retains moisture. The moisture would promote rest after the fluid leaked from the lines.

Have you followed the metal line to see where it goes on either end?
Pretty sure that's a brake line.
Thanks for the replies. It's leaking a yellowish liquid. Pretty sure it's the power steering... which is empty, brake fluid has not changed. Tracked the lines, see the red arrows. Can't quite see where the go past this. Does the power steering fluid get cooled by the radiator? (see yellow arrow) Any help would be appreciated. What is part name for the "tube" this is going in to. I know it's steering linkage but not sure the name. Thanks.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
433 Posts
IIRC the power steering fluid has a separate cooler very near the radiator or built into the bottom of the radiator.

I'm not sure you posted the correct parts diagram, but if it is, it might be the upper left line #3? From the pictures, it looks like the coupler is leaking. The coupler is not shown in the diagram that I can tell?

The "tube" is likely the rack and pinion unit? I don't know what jeep actually calls it.

You should avoid driving with the power steering pump empty. It will burn up a pump. Make sure to use the correct fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC the power steering fluid has a separate cooler very near the radiator or built into the bottom of the radiator.

I'm not sure you posted the correct parts diagram, but if it is, it might be the upper left line #3? From the pictures, it looks like the coupler is leaking. The coupler is not shown in the diagram that I can tell?

The "tube" is likely the rack and pinion unit? I don't know what jeep actually calls it.

You should avoid driving with the power steering pump empty. It will burn up a pump. Make sure to use the correct fluid.
Your are right about the cooler attached to the radiator

Turns out the leaking line is attached to the rack and pinion (your correct again), and you can't purchase the hose separately. I am going to try to clean it up and possibly tighten it, but I am not optimistic... looking at $500-$600 for a replacement part.

More importantly, hopefully it is not too bad of a repair. This is a WK2. Anyone done this? I went through the service manual and it didn't seem too bad, but these repairs never do until I get in to it and realize everything is rusted together!

Font Parallel Auto part Line art Slope

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
433 Posts
There are two basic types of connections for removable metal hydraulic lines, compression and O-ring. The line into the rack and pinion unit is likely compression. Compression can be difficult to get to reseal after it has been removed or loose. Probably why it is not sold separately?

The O-ring type usually does not seal by retightening but it is worth a try. Do not over tighten. O-rings are not expensive to repair/replace, but you need to make sure you're getting an O-ring compatible with the type of fluid in the system. Otherwise it may dissolve or swell so badly you can't get the parts together again.

I have had the steel hydraulic lines crack right at the interior bend of the fittings. It can be very difficult to diagnose and it is not really repairable.

When repairing metal hydraulic lines, rusted or clean, make sure to use a hydraulic line wrench. They are basically a box and wrench with a groove cut in the end to slip over the line. You will around them over with an open-end wrench. Sometimes it is easier to break the rusted nut free by slightly tightening it first. Make sure to soak everything down in a penetrating oil a day or two in advance. I've had luck with Kroil. Never put Teflon tape on any line or fitting, Teflon tape is for sealing plumping threads only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts