Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote to Cooper asking if they planned in ever offering the Discoverer A/T3 in our size. See their response below. Please shoot them an email if you have time. Even if you don't have 20's, help those of us that do out!

Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. The 265/50R20 is currently available in our Touring SUV line, the Discoverer CTS. We are reviewing our next round of size additions for the Discoverer A/T3, and we will include this size in our study. Spring 2014 will be the target timing for the next round of sizes to be available. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Cooper Tire

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
What about trying the 265/60r20?

·
Registered
786 Posts
That's a shame, I have the AT/3s in 265-65-17 and absolutely love them after 10K miles. A little noisy but good grip and aggressive look. I did lose about 2mpg but that's part of the game.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
463 Posts
I wrote to Cooper asking if they planned in ever offering the Discoverer A/T3 in our size. See their response below. Please shoot them an email if you have time. Even if you don't have 20's, help those of us that do out!

Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry. The 265/50R20 is currently available in our Touring SUV line, the Discoverer CTS. We are reviewing our next round of size additions for the Discoverer A/T3, and we will include this size in our study. Spring 2014 will be the target timing for the next round of sizes to be available. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Cooper Tire
Have you looked at the Cooper LTZ 275-55-20 I like the tread and as soon as the stock tires ware out im in for a set

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked at the Cooper LTZ 275-55-20 I like the tread and as soon as the stock tires ware out im in for a set
As I have said many times in this thread, I'm not interested in using a tire nearly 5% lager in diameter than the stock size.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So has anyone tried 285 50R20 size on the stock overland rim? The Cooper Zeon LTZ comes in this size and results in only a little over 2% diff in overall diameter. Much more acceptable than a 5% diff the 275 55R20 size many are running. Cooper says they will fit an 8-10" rim and from what I've found the stock Overland rims are 20X8", so this should work right?

·
Registered
617 Posts
So has anyone tried 285 50R20 size on the stock overland rim? The Cooper Zeon LTZ comes in this size and results in only a little over 2% diff in overall diameter. Much more acceptable than a 5% diff the 275 55R20 size many are running. Cooper says they will fit an 8-10" rim and from what I've found the stock Overland rims are 20X8", so this should work right?
They will fit with a good bit of sidewall bulge. Im running 285/50/20s on 20x9s and there is a good bit of bulge, which is fine with me as it protects the wheels from curbs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They will fit with a good bit of sidewall bulge. Im running 285/50/20s on 20x9s and there is a good bit of bulge, which is fine with me as it protects the wheels from curbs.
Can you post a close up pic? I'm guessing you're not having any rubbing issues (at any quadra lift setting)?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can you post a close up pic? I'm guessing you're not having any rubbing issues (at any quadra lift setting)?
Close up pic of what specifically? No rubbing in any ql setting in any wheel position.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just a close up pick of your tire. Mostly I want to see the sidewalk bulge you were referring to.
a couple shots that might help

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
So worth the 4 percent difference. Many a ppl on here run a larger size.
Has anybody reported results +/-/neutral on the effect of the larger tires on the various advanced tech and stability control functions? The owner's manual is rife with stern warnings that using tires other than the stock size can cause problems with stability and traction control, adaptive cruise control, forward collision mitigation, even the electronic transmission, etc.

On older vehicles, I wouldn't think twice about running a larger size, as long as geometry and such were accounted for. I've been mentally translating speed on my TransAm for 26 years now. :lol:

But I'm a bit leery with all the new tech in vehicles. I had been considering getting 275/65/R18s once I finally got my '14, but I think I've talked myself into sticking with the stock size. I also wasn't sure what, if any, impact an alternate size might be on warranty claims. With the manual stating so strongly, and in so many places, not to use larger tires I worry they could use that as a reason to deny coverage.

Reiterating - does anyone have any experiences that might indicate that the warnings are just legal CYA and/or if anyone's been denied coverage due to running non-stock sizes?

·
Registered
Trailhawk
1,011 Posts
Been on 275/55/20 now for 9 months, one winter with snow sleet and ice, lots of bad traction situations and no issues. Don't worry about it. It's a jeep. I don't know if its because I'm 26, or if its because i had a heavily modified car before this, but you all are worrying about the little things too much.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I don't know if its because I'm 26, or if its because i had a heavily modified car before this, but you all are worrying about the little things too much.
I'm certainly no stranger to heavily modified cars. That 78 TransAm in my avatar originally had a 6.6L with 3 speed automatic. I then dropped in a 2001 LS1 with 6 speed manual, and it now has a 2013 LS3 with 6 speed and a Z06 clutch. Plus nearly every piece of the suspension, steering and braking has been completely changed, and the wheels are nowhere near the stock size. It's basically nothing like the original, except in appearance.

However all of that is basically mechanical. It can all be drawn out and/or calculated. There's no real mystery there. (yes, I know the engine itself is heavily based on electronics, but that's not really the same as what we're discussing)

With the '14 jeep, so many of the basic systems are based on computer algorithms and are basically "black box". Programming is my profession and as they say: "garbage in, garbage out". You give it the wrong data and it's going to give you the wrong answer. And without any visibility into the algorithms, I have no idea how to evaluate whether a 5% error is negligible or significant. My guess is it's more toward the negligible side, but I'm not sure I'm willing to bet on that right now. It also doesn't address whether or not there is an impact on warranty service.

Now if we (or the dealers) had a way of setting the tire size so that the computer was making the right calculations, I'd feel a whole lot better. And it seems like there must be a way to do this, especially if the TrailHawk-II does end up getting released with the 35" tires it was demoed with.

But anyway, I probably shouldn't derail this thread any longer since the original topic was simply trying to get people to contact Cooper and ask them for more sizes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts