Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am from outside the US, I own a WJ 2001 with 125.000 Kilometers and it has started an oil compsumption again, last year I changed the valve steam seals and the problem was fixed, 8 months later, I am seeing Blue Smoke again.

I guess my Mechanic didn´t use the OEM Parts last year. I am planning now on buying the OEM Parts to fix this problem, in my country I can´t find the original ones, only imitations. I am here to see if you guys can help me identify the number part and give me some recommendations of online stores where I could find them.

I believe, according to my country´s provider specifications, the valve´s seal number parts of my WJ 2001 is 5302 1974 AA, though I need to make sure it is the right one.

In case it is, What I have found so far is this one from Amazon, I can´t post links. Product´s name is:
Mopar 53021974AA Valve Seal
Price: $3.50 & FREE Shipping

I would have to order 16 of them, right?

Yet, I would like to see other offers - options, but I have never bought something online outside Amazon, mostly the cars parts I have brought to my country are from Amazon, but right now I am open to try some reccommended online car stores where I could find the oem parts for my WJ.
Any suggestions please? I am using a Freight Forwader to ship it to my country.

And would you guys buy at once the Valve Cover Gasket? It´s using the original one, never changed during the 125k kilometers. The car was unused for almost a year, we would only warm up the engine from time to time, but since last year I have started using it again & that´s where I noticed the Oil Compsumption problem.

Thanks guys in advance!

·
The beast from Brazil
8,224 Posts
Welcome to the garage.
I have changed my valve stem seals several years ago and there is no visible oil use between the oil changes. I also had quite some blue smoke from the exhaust after idling for a while and then accelerating.
I used valve stem seals from Felpro, which I bought here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2001,grand+cherokee,4.7l+v8,1381452,engine,valve+stem+seal,5800
I presume that your mechanic checked the valve guides for wear? If the guides are worn, the seal will not hold the oil back for a long time.
If you have the V8 you indeed need to order 16 of them. The ones I bought were a complete set, with valve stem protection caps to prevent damage to the seals during installation.
Best is to change the valve cover gaskets as well, because they have become hard after so many years and most probably will not seal right.
If you have the V8 (which uses 16 valves), the MOPAR P/N is 53020752AD or the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the garage.
I have changed my valve stem seals several years ago and there is no visible oil use between the oil changes. I also had quite some blue smoke from the exhaust after idling for a while and then accelerating.
I used valve stem seals from Felpro, which I bought here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2001,grand+cherokee,4.7l+v8,1381452,engine,valve+stem+seal,5800
I presume that your mechanic checked the valve guides for wear? If the guides are worn, the seal will not hold the oil back for a long time.
If you have the V8 you indeed need to order 16 of them. The ones I bought were a complete set, with valve stem protection caps to prevent damage to the seals during installation.
Best is to change the valve cover gaskets as well, because they have become hard after so many years and most probably will not seal right.
If you have the V8 (which uses 16 valves), the MOPAR P/N is 53020752AD or the one you mentioned.
Yay! :D :D :D Thanks! I will check the P/N 53020752AD just to see what offer I can find & will check too the Felpro seal valves.

I don´t know if my Mechanic checked the valves guides :/ I am thinking on looking for another expert to check the car before ordering anything, just in case it´s something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts