Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2020 GC Summit 5.7 and have been reading up on the ECO mode.
From what I have found the engine cylinder deactivation can cause some issues long term that I am not interested in having to just save money at the pump.

I do however like the way the transmission shifts to the upper gears when I am just doing some city cruising. It's smoother with the ECO mode on.

Is there any way to have the ECO mode just do the transmission and perhaps the throttle tone down but NOT shut down have the engine?

If I ever need to feel the full power I can just flip it in Sport mode.... most of my driving is between 25-45 miles an hour in the city.

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
11,615 Posts
MDS has been part of the HEMI system for many years. I do not believe it's detrimental in any mass way. And no, you cannot turn it off. Cylinder deactivation is also not unique to the Mopar HEMI engine, either. Many manufacturers use this to help meet fleet fuel economy improvements.

Reactions: larrywal

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
345 Posts
From what I have found the engine cylinder deactivation can cause some issues long term that I am not interested in having to just save money at the pump.

I do however like the way the transmission shifts to the upper gears when I am just doing some city cruising. It's smoother with the ECO mode on.

Is there any way to have the ECO mode just do the transmission and perhaps the throttle tone down but NOT shut down have the engine?

If I ever need to feel the full power I can just flip it in Sport mode.... most of my driving is between 25-45 miles an hour in the city.

thanks in advance
I run mine ('17 Hemi) with the ECO mode off (light on the button) because it could feel the MDS (cylinder deactivation) coming on at 35 - 40 mph. With it off it doesn't come on till about 45 - 50 mph where it's pretty much unnoticeable to me. You can't turn off the MDS unless you get a tune but buyer beware that it'll cancel your warranty.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Glad to have the 3.6.... I'd look into that tune... Can't imagine the damage of not running cylinders..... Half your engine used, while the other half is untouched.... Just doesn't seem like a good system.....
Millions of trouble free miles on multiple platforms across different manufacturers would disagree with that.

Fortunate that you have a ‘14 without the ESS - thankfully that feature can be disabled in several ways.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Millions of trouble free miles on multiple platforms across different manufacturers would disagree with that.

Fortunate that you have a ‘14 without the ESS - thankfully that feature can be disabled in several ways.
My Ram hemi had the MDS. Never had an issue. My 2011 Charger RT Hemi never had an issue. My vote is with proper maintenance; MDS is less detrimental than owning a turbo gas engine lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Funny you disagree with my thought about that great system.... And yet there multiple ways to disable it across many manufacturers..... What I don't need is a engine with 100,000 miles on half the cylinders, and 30,000 on the other half.... Now there running two different compressions.... Does that sound good to you.... Not in my book brother!!!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Funny you disagree with my thought about that great system.... And yet there multiple ways to disable it across many manufacturers..... What I don't need is a engine with 100,000 miles on half the cylinders, and 30,000 on the other half.... Now there running two different compressions.... Does that sound good to you.... Not in my book brother!!!!!!
Yea...it would be like having a half of a new engine 🤣. Keep in mind...no manufacturer offers a complete disable option for MDS. Unless you want to constantly drive in sport mode or tow/haul mode. The only reason people tend to want to disable a MDS system is either when they have an aftermarket exhaust system or just like having the "full V8" power available on the fly. But understand this...I wasn't actually disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out my personal experiences. If you don't need the mpg benefit, by all means; disable the MDS. Use a OBD plug in disabler.

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
843 Posts

thanks in advance
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

Do a little more research.

You will find the majority of the issues are more associated with the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) (the years when VVT was introduced) than the Multiple Displacement System (MDS).
... something along the lines of poor oiling to the lifters after VVT came out..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.