Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is in the market for a new midsize to large SUV. One vehicle that he's considering is the new Ford Expedition with the 3.5 L TT V6. Memory serves, that's the same engine that's in the Ford Raptor. It has impressive numbers, but I told him that I'm not so sure about long-term reliability. I still remember the days when turbos would overheat, develop oil leaks, etc. as they age. I know that turbo technology has come a long way, but have they proven reliable in the long run (e.g., >100k)? I told him that the 5.7L Hemi V8 is bulletproof, notwithstanding that it's now considered a dinosaur.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don’t know if the Hemi is bullet proof but will last longer than a TT. Heat is the enemy and with additional moving parts in a Turbo, they will require more servicing in its lifetime. The Hemi also has the advantage of a longer track record to have empirical data on. It’s a solid platform.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Ford eco-boost TT engines have been proven to be very reliable and great towing motors. I’ve owned both and I’d pick the Ford TT over the Hemi to tow any day.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,104 Posts
Judging by the number of moving parts and the additional hardware, one could say that turbo engines (and twin turbo engines more so) are inherently more prone to failures. There are more seals to leak, more bearings to seize, more couplers to rust. But it is all relative. Getting to 100,000 miles on a turbo engine is not the land of fairy tales.

I am so looking forward to the 2 L turbo mild hybrid (or plug-in hybrid) on the future Grand Cherokee. But damn it people, a 2 L hybrid makes nearly 400 hp in Range Rover trim...and only 300 in Wrangler trim. FCA has some work to do.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,865 Posts
I had a Ford TurboBoost between my Grand Cherokees. It was quite impressive. I think that in time we will have a choice between turbos and electric. They were problematic early on, but so were power windows. For better or worse we can't live in the past forever.

I came back to Jeep for size and features. As far as engine I chose the Hemi 'cause I love the smooth power, and living in the past. :lol:

--

·
Registered
546 Posts
The TT V6 in the ford has been around since around 2011, 2012. They put it in the F150. Plenty of people getting over 200k on them. This day and age all motors are getting well over 100k with a blink of an eye. I'm not a personal fan of the Turbo engines. The hemi seems to have its share of parts to replace as well. Either way it comes down to personal preference. I'm sure most of these engines if serviced correctly can out live some of its owners. I just like the looks of the JGC and it's 4x4 capabilities over the explorer any day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They just had the heads off my daughters 2015 JGC SRT under warranty so nothing is bulletproof.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Ford eco-boost TT engines have been proven to be very reliable and great towing motors. I’ve owned both and I’d pick the Ford TT over the Hemi to tow any day.
But under load and towing isn't the F TT gas mileage really poor. The fact the turbos are spinning uses up the fuel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Both engines get terrible gas mileage towing. I can’t say one or the other gets better. The Ford TT tows much better. The low end torque of the Ford works miracles for rowing.

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
I don't expect that there's any way to clearly say whether one is better than the other definitively relative to reliability. And TT engines are here to stay for the moment, including in the next generation JGC. As has been pointed out, they are not a new-fangled invention, either. The current generation of these boosted small displacement engines seem to be well designed. Manufacturers don't like the effects of anything that's unreliable since that costs them money, so they are going to do their best to make sure that whatever power plants they offer are reasonably sound over time.

I have a Hemi currently, but wouldn't buy it again. It doesn't offer me much since I'm a generally light-foot driver no matter what vehicle I'm in and the only reason I do have it is that at the time I was buying, it was the right choice for a towing need I had.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've had a turbo since 2004 on my RAM. I don't think I've even looked at it more than 10 minutes collectively in 15 years. Turbo's CAN have problems, but they are mostly a thing of the past. Change the oil regularly, let them cool down a little after working them, and use the proper oil and they should be the least of your worries. Had many turbo vehicles and never had a specific turbo related problem.....

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Get your NA 5.7 and 3.6 while you can...if the boosted 80's K cars were any indication of what is to come for us :lol::lol::lol:
You will still have those choices with MY20 based on currently available comments from our insiders.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
66 Posts
I have a 2011 JGC Limited 5.7 Hemi w/98K miles on it and even though it still runs great & is in excellent condition cosmetically & mechanically, I'm looking at 2018's now. I feel like if I get a new Hemi soon, I can have it for another 7-8 years before everything becomes 3 cylinder, quad turbocharged. Don't get me wrong, I love turbos, I also have a twin turbo BMW straight 6 with gobs of torque, but that smooth 8 cylinder power is nice for towing my 7,000lb trailer.

:)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
11 Posts
I dont know if 5.7 v8 is more reliable than a TT V6, but I do know is the TT V6 will be way faster than the 5.7 v8, and has less fuel consumption.

So if I need a pickup, I will chose F150 over RAM1500 anyday.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dont know if 5.7 v8 is more reliable than a TT V6, but I do know is the TT V6 will be way faster than the 5.7 v8, and has less fuel consumption.

So if I need a pickup, I will chose F150 over RAM1500 anyday.
And if I need a pickup, I will choose Ram eco-diesel over F150 anyday. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Ram eco-diesel is a dog of epic proportions! It isn’t even in the same universe as far as power and towing ability with the Ford eco-boost. It definitely beats it in the MPG department though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts