Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now, everyone knows my preference for the boxy style of the XJ. What you might not know is I view the Commander as a bigger, beefier XJ. It certainly has more in common with them than any other model of Jeep. Well, I like Commanders. I like them a lot. I just don't talk about them much since it's close to 40-45 g's for a HEMI Limited 4x4. Even used ones are still near $25K.

I found one in Florida with some cosmetic damage. No frame, subframe or unibody damage, just 2 doors, a fender, a quarter panel and fender trim(pretty much side-swipped), rocker panels and ALL pillars are fine. It is a Limited HEMI 4x4, absoluetely fully loaded truck. Navigation, the works.

They want $8,800 for it. Runs and drives as-is.

The quarter is the only repair I don't like to do. It's the only thing I would have to source out. The rest I could replace in a day. Less if I was in MI.

what do y'all think?

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
yuo gotta watch those easy fixes Ron. My body shop was just duped on a Caddy that was an easy fix. They bought it on the internet and it had been doctored and spray painted to look better in pics. Sorry.....that was way off......sounds like a great deal.

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yuo gotta watch those easy fixes Ron. My body shop was just duped on a Caddy that was an easy fix. They bought it on the internet and it had been doctored and spray painted to look better in pics. Sorry.....that was way off......sounds like a great deal.
No "Sorry...". I have no problems with my friends voicing their concern. Unlike the XJ in Wisconsin, I would definitely NOT buy this Florida truck without many inspections, and only after looking at it in person.

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you guys just imagine a totally, truly murdered Satin Black Commander on black 22" Viper reps?

· Registered
1,565 Posts
It would be sweet, but for only 9k i would think there my be some water damage/electrical issues with the thing being its from Florida. Im not saying there is but does anyone think its pretty low price overall?

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night we watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop. The S.W.A.T. team pulls up in at least 2 Commanders, and I swear they were satin black. That looked H.A.W.T.!!!

· Jeep Garage's hunky Australian co-founder
6,421 Posts
I'd steer clear, certainly if you can't inspect it yourself.

There's a reason the thing hasn't been fixed.... it's obviously not ecenomical to do it. A replacement Commander was cheaper.

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd steer clear, certainly if you can't inspect it yourself.

There's a reason the thing hasn't been fixed.... it's obviously not ecenomical to do it. A replacement Commander was cheaper.
Very well could be the situation, but like I said, I would still be interested just to take the whole powertrain and interior and swap them into an XJ. I am sure the engine, trans, transfer case axles, hubs, brakes, seats, console and maybe even the dash would cost more than $8K. Swap what I can(you'd be amazed), and part off the rest.

There is also this:
My buddy had a new Dodge Ram, we were in it when this guy backed into his front end. It crushed the grill, header panel, lights and hood, and one fender. No frame damage, no engine damage, just cosmetic. They totalled it out! He accepted the check, then turned right around and paid $400 for the truck from insurance. Fixed the front end, and drove away in a brand new truck, paid off. The only change was his warranty was no longer viable. But with no payments, he had plenty of cash to fix things if they went bad.

· Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the new liberty is some what like the old xj what do you make of that?
Not enough of the XJ, no viable powerplant upgrade or swap available, not fast enough nor any potential to make it any faster. Fine for a chick or confused young lad like you! J/K! lol

· Registered
10 Posts
Commanders rule! I say check it out!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.