Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I had a '14 Limited for a few years and loved it, but went over to a '17 Ram 1500 mainly for towing our small camper. I customized that truck a bit, and it's great looking, but man I miss my WK2! I'm really thinking of selling my Ram and moving back to a Jeep.

I'm throwing around the idea of ordering up a new 2020 High Altitude in Slate Blue. V8 Hemi of course. Curious about real world towing experience with the later model V8's? I would be towing with an Equalizer hitch and I'd have a brake controller installed. My trailer is 3900lbs dry, and probably around 5000lbs fully loaded. I know the V8's are rated for 7200lbs, but wanted to hear from people who actively tow a camper with their Jeep.

Pic of my rig for reference. Trailer is 22' long and single axle.

·
Registered
2013 GC Trailhawk
50 Posts
Good question!
I have a 18 Trailhawk with Hemi. I had a “big” popup that was 24’ long and weighed 3500 dry. It was around 4300 loaded. We pulled it with standard hitch from Texas to Montana and back without any issues. Was almost like it wasn’t there.
I’ll be picking up a 21’ Flagstaff 21DS tonight. It’s 4800 dry. I have a brake controller and will be using a HUSKY CENTERLINE HD WDH. I took it for a test drive without the WDH, it pulled fine, stopped great. No or very little sway but I knew it was there for sure. It rocked some in cross winds but not sway. It shook when 18 wheeler went by in other direction. The WDH with sway control will help I’m sure.
Of course it’ll be better with out a short wheelbase fairly light unibody SUV.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question!
I have a 18 Trailhawk with Hemi. I had a “big” popup that was 24’ long and weighed 3500 dry. It was around 4300 loaded. We pulled it with standard hitch from Texas to Montana and back without any issues. Was almost like it wasn’t there.
I’ll be picking up a 21’ Flagstaff 21DS tonight. It’s 4800 dry. I have a brake controller and will be using a HUSKY CENTERLINE HD WDH. I took it for a test drive without the WDH, it pulled fine, stopped great. No or very little sway but I knew it was there for sure. It rocked some in cross winds but not sway. It shook when 18 wheeler went by in other direction. The WDH with sway control will help I’m sure.
Of course it’ll be better with out a short wheelbase fairly light unibody SUV.
Best of luck!
Really good to hear! Thanks for the info! Hows the sag with the new trailer? It looks pretty level from your photo.

Yeah my Equalizer WDH was worth every penny. It keeps the trailer solid and and steady.. it's like it's just an extension of my truck when I tow now. What brake controller did you go with? And are you rocking tow mirrors?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tow a 24' trailer with my 2016 Grande Cherokee (V8). Trailer is about 4400lbs dry, and about 5500lbs loaded and power wise I have zero issues, the hemi is great, even on steep hills in the mountains. My only issue is I really dislike the air suspension in the GC. It is so soft and "floaty" unloaded and it doesn't get better with the RV. That is being picky, though, it is overall still quite good.

Here is a pic:

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
The towing on a current model year JGC with the Hemi will be pretty much the same as since MY14 when the 8 speed transmission was introduced. You should have a good towing experience, but remember, the JGC isn't a longer wheelbase truck so "length matters" when it comes to your trailer and I don't feel you'll have any issues with a 22 footer once your WDH and brake controller are setup correctly. Do remember that because of the QL, you'll have to don your final setup in more than one step, most likely with a drive around the block. There's an excellent thread here at Jeep Garage (likely in the Suspension/Drivetrain/Wheels/Brakes/Tires sub-forum) where someone describes the process exactly. I haven't seen it brought up in a while, so you'll have to do a little creative searching.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y'all! Super helpful info. I feel pretty good about making the move. Now to decide on what Jeep and options to get!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I tow a 23' enclosed race car trailer (27' overall length), about 6,600# fully loaded with 10 drawer tool chest, spare tires, 50cc scooter and the 911 race car. I use a Reese DualCam WD Sway control combo with 1,000# spring bars. Hemi is adequate, I just keep the trans in manual mode and don't use 7th or 8th, keep rpms in the 2600-2800 rpm range. Long 3 or 4% grades, oil temps will get up to 250 degrees, but drop back to 210-220 once cresting and on the downhill side. Unfortunately fuel economy is in the 8mpg range, where my '14 ecodiesel gave 14mpg towing the same trailer. But once on the highway and up to speed I found that the hemi turning 2600 rpm was better than the ecodiesel at highway speeds. Torque gets you moving, HP keeps you moving.

Stability-wise, the GC is extremely stable, no white knuckle moments. I have to use mirror extensions to see around the 102" wide trailer.

I borrowed a friends open deck aluminum trailer, 900# empty (actually my old trailer), and hauled my Spec Miata race car, with 8 wheels and tires on the tire rack, with tools and floor jack and other stuff in the tongue box, total weight probably 4500#. Ran at 75 without any issue, just kept the trans in 7th. Barely knew the car was back there, got 14 mpg. No WD because it's aluminum but never noticed any sway.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
No WD because it's aluminum but never noticed any sway.
WHD, while it can help with sway if provisioned to do so, has the primary purpose of rebalancing tongue weight to the front axle to insure steering and braking is even. Jeep requires it for tongue weights over 350 lbs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
WHD, while it can help with sway if provisioned to do so, has the primary purpose of rebalancing tongue weight to the front axle to insure steering and braking is even. Jeep requires it for tongue weights over 350 lbs.
Depends on the system used. I use the Reese Dual Cam which is WD and sway control combined. It's purpose is to use the spring bars for both weight distribution and sway control. Lots of hardware, expensive, but works far better than either WD by itself or WD with a friction sway control. Can't use it on an aluminum framed trailer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Depends on the system used. I use the Reese Dual Cam which is WD and sway control combined. It's purpose is to use the spring bars for both weight distribution and sway control. Lots of hardware, expensive, but works far better than either WD by itself or WD with a friction sway control. Can't use it on an aluminum framed trailer.
What you wrote isn't in conflict with what I wrote at all relative to the functionality. ;) However, at a likely approximate 450 lb tongue weight, you may want to consider investing in an alternative WDH, such as the Anderson or another choice to insure you have good balance. You should be able to accommodate a WDH with an aluminum frame no problem with the right product. The JGC can start to get squirrelly when the tongue weight gets up there...I know that from personal experience that was definitely a "change the underwear" lesson.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Do you guys have photos of where you mounted your brake controller?
There are multiple threads in the Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting sub-forum about that discuss brake controllers and have photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts