Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on this morning and I took it to the dealer who told me that I needed to replace the Oil cooler Seal, Oil Pressure Switch and Brake Switch Adapter (said it all came together as a set) and quoted me $2184 for the job, $1760 of which is labor... does this sound right??? Of course none of this is covered under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey how’s it going I am in Canada and I have found dealer’s are a rip off try to find a reputable mechanic I think you might be surprised in the difference in cost and remember cash is still king

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,794 Posts
My check engine light came on this morning and I took it to the dealer who told me that I needed to replace the Oil cooler Seal, Oil Pressure Switch and Brake Switch Adapter (said it all came together as a set) and quoted me $2184 for the job, $1760 of which is labor... does this sound right??? Of course none of this is covered under my extended warranty.
What engine do you have? Since you said your Oil cooler seal is the problem, then I assume its the 3.6L V6.

You definitely need to get a 2nd opinion, none of the things you listed would set off a check engine light. Did they explain to you what the Check Engine Light came on for? They may have noticed these other problems while you had it in for service, but I'd be very suspicious of a bad Dealership fishing for dollars. You also want to double check your extended warranty and make sure this is not covered. Are you sure you didn't just get the factory warranty transferred with the used car sale? The factory warranty left for a 2011 would just be the powertrain that would just cover internal components of the engine and transmission, and the V6 oil cooler is external.

What code was set that caused the Check Engine Light? I doubt the Oil Cooler Seal would set a code, they must have noticed the leaking oil, its a common malfunction on the V6.

Oil Pressure Switch probably didn't set a code either, but its possible there is some code in the electronics to set a fault code for it, but never was in the past. If you had a bad oil pressure switch, you would have the oil pressure light come on when its not suppose to, have you had the oil pressure light coming on?

Brake Switch Adapter? I'm not aware of anything that is an adapter, did you get the terms wrong, a brake switch costs $50 and takes 15 minutes to swap out......

Brake Switch wouldn't set the Check Engine Either, if you got any warning light for a bad brake switch it would be the "Brake" or "ABS" lights.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts