Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.. I am an owner of a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7...i love her...but she be giving me hell...ugh...hope you all can help me fix her so I don't have to sell her..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If'n you love 'her' hang in here.
Whats the problem with your Jeep?
If i can't have an answer or suggestion, i'm sure someone else can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Skpy...(Skippy...it was on the license plate when I bought her..) ..has a handful of minor problems that are a bit overwhelming when dealing with it all at once..x_X
I give a run down of her basic specs and current problems plus things I recently fixed in bullet format...
  1. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi
  2. 197172 miles
  3. Owned for exactly one year this month
  4. Clean inside out when I bought and and have tried to maintain it..overall success rate: 75-80%.....but I'm pretty sure got it the age where lots of things brake and/or need to be replaced
  5. Has 2 inch body lift
  6. 20 inch rims amd tires...there hideous btw.....but the tires were new and still have lots of tread..and I can't afford different ones currently...so they have to stay for now...
  7. Due to large tires...they be kicked out a bit..which disengaged the tire pressure sensor from working..
  8. Recently replaced: crankshaft position sensor and alternator and front brakes
  9. Traction control light been on since I replaced CPS - month and half ago
  10. Service electric braking system been on for a month..even after replacing the front pads...rotors are peechy keen..and wiping computer system..
  11. Planning to do a radiator flush tomorrow
  12. Check engine light came back on today..oof..
  13. Has random acceleration issues while driving at any speed...was doing the same thing when the CPS went out..
  14. Last codes that were read were yesterday..and nothing popped up..ugh
  15. And all of this and I haven't even gotten to the sun roof leakage..tho I know what to do to fix that up..thankfully.. x_X. Thank you for your time to read all of this :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Looks like you got your work cut out for you.
My XJ started to have problems around 200k miles.
Do you plan to do some serious off roading with this Jeep?

Point #7, 10:
...they be kicked out a bit...
Are there wheel spacers installed?
Are all 4 wheels and tires exactly the same?

IMPORTANT! Can you post all of the exact CEL codes?
(If you don't have a code reader, most chain auto parts stores will do it free)
Hard to believe there are no trouble codes with all these issues per Point #14.

20 inch wheels!
The ABS system including the speedometer might be confused.
If you want to get rid of the brake CEL, if this were my deal the first thing i'd do is get the wheels and tires closer back to stock.

Point #9:
IMPORTANT! Why did you replace the PCM?
Do you still have the original PCM?

Changing out the PCM can be real tricky and cause problems in some cases like the traction control issue.
Did you take the new PCM and have it reflashed per VIN# at a Jeep dealership or elsewhere?

Point #13:
I'd forget about this one for a while until you get the other problems sorted out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Point #7, 10:

20 inch wheels!
If you want to get rid of the brake CEL, if this were my deal the first thing i'd do is get the wheels and tires closer back to stock.

Point #9:

Changing out the PCM can be real tricky and cause problems in some cases like the traction control issue.
Did you take the new PCM and have it reflashed per VIN# at a Jeep dealership or elsewhere?

Point #13:
I'd forget about this one for a while until you get the other problems sorted out.

Point #7, 10:

20 inch wheels!

Point #9:

Point #13:

Well...I'm happy I accidently hit the number thing instead of the bullet format..

Anyways...
I only replaced the crankshaft position sensor...and no...I didn't have anything "flashed" or special done...and judging by your reaction...I messed up... X_x ..oof

I'm not sure what you mean by wheel spacers...I thought that's what she would have too for the tires to even fit like that....but nope.... Guy I got it from didn't mention this...(I'm not sure what it's called...sorry...I can work on cars and I know my way around...but I don't know what everything is called...so please bare with me...) Its the thing where the bolts go through for the wheel to bolt up to the rest of the car..it's not attached to the wheel or Jeep and looks like at circle metal weight with 6 holes through it..and...usually will have what it came out off of branded to it...well mine says Dodge and not Jeep... And that's the spacers plus what's holding these tires on to it....oh and yeah it's not on with the brand facing outwards on mine...it's reversed...so..it's easy to miss until you take the tires off...
...and that is the wrost description anyone has ever given...minus my direction giving skills... Oof..again..

Dash lights I currently have on...sorry I didn't explain this more troughly earlier... Traction control dash light..it has a button where I can turn this off and on and if I push it will still say if it is now disabled or in operation...
The tire pressure sensor dashlight has been on sense I have owned it... Which I was told it was due to the tires being kicked out so far the sensor couldn't reach you where it needed to be..and that seemed to be a logical answer...
On the computer screen...where you set your preferences up and all that...it tells me I need to service my electric brake system..
And... The check engine light is on..ugh

I'm going to my dad's today and will use the code reader and let you know as soon as I'm done. :)

Thank you.?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The tires/wheels sticking out as you say, could mean one or more of several things:
Wheel spacers, longer wheel offset or just much wider tires than stock.

I think based on what you've said, sounds like wheel spacers are installed.
Its the thing where the bolts go through for the wheel to bolt up to the rest of the car..it's not attached to the wheel or Jeep and looks like at circle metal weight with 6 holes through it..and...usually will have what it came out off of branded to it...well mine says Dodge and not Jeep... And that's the spacers plus what's holding these tires on to it....
Get rid of them spacers if they are indeed spacers and those 20" wheels.
Yeah, easy for me to say.
But beware those big dia. wheels and tires could end up rubbing if you get rid of the spacers if'n there are spacers and keep those wheels/tires.
I could be totally wrong and apologize if so, but those 20" wheels scream pimp mobile to me. haha.
Can't get my wrapped around on just what you've got there.
Can you post a picture of 'her'?

Shaze, you still didn't explain why you replaced the PCM?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires/wheels sticking out as you say, could mean one or more of several things:
Wheel spacers, longer wheel offset or just much wider tires than stock.

I think based on what you've said, sounds like wheel spacers are installed.

Get rid of them spacers if they are indeed spacers and those 20" wheels.
Yeah, easy for me to say.
But beware those big dia. wheels and tires could end up rubbing if you get rid of the spacers if'n there are spacers and keep those wheels/tires.
I could be totally wrong and apologize if so, but those 20" wheels scream pimp mobile to me. haha.
Can't get my wrapped around on just what you've got there.
Can you post a picture of 'her'?

Shaze, you still didn't explain why you replaced the PCM?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And..im sorry if I just disappear or anything. I do really need my Jeep to be running good but I just found out last night my mom passed away.
I'm still in shock and also stressed to the max being I'm the only living relative and now have to drive over 500 miles to take care of everything...in a car that is running like total crap..
Fml

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh...and I replaced the crankshaft sensor...cuz that's the code that popped up about 3 months ago when she was running like serious shit..and that did seem to fix her up...she didn't stall and lug like a mother f**...anymore so I assumed it was fixed.. no codes popped up afterwards at least..still working on getting my dad's...kinda have to much to deal with rn.. i wish she was just running good so I didn't have to worry about it and could just take care of my mom's final wishes and all that.
Thank you for all your troubleshooting help with it though, its sincerely appriecated.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
And..im sorry if I just disappear or anything. I do really need my Jeep to be running good but I just found out last night my mom passed away.
I'm still in shock and also stressed to the max being I'm the only living relative and now have to drive over 500 miles to take care of everything...in a car that is running like total crap..
Fml
Man i'm sorry to hear about your mother.
Take care and have a safe trip.

Why not rent a car for the trip?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts