Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315422_3062055608446_2127210432_n.jpg

This is the kit I used for both Lows and Fogs

Zenex SLIM HID Conversion Kit H11 6000K (Diamond White) : Amazon.com : Automotive

However for the fogs I did have to use these

HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker (1 Pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I did NOT have to use a relay harness for either nor did the low beams require the warning cancellers, I know some of you say use a relay harness for protection...protection from what?? Never had to use a relay harness in any other car I've converted. This is the third time I've used this companies HID kit, however the first time I've used their 'slim' digital ballast. So longevity with these ballasts is unknown, however their other ballasts (analog) and customer service are top notch.

One thing I didn't notice on any of the other threads is if anyone re installed the low beam cap. The kit I have has a grommet in which the wires pass through, in order to fit those through the cap I used the largest drill bit I had and turned the bit sideways to make the hole just large enough.

And no, I did not remove the bumper. If you plan on tackling this start with the fog lamps, they're the easiest. You have to remove a plastic twist lock and one 10mm bolt I believe, then pull the fender liner back some and you will see the fog lamp assembly.

For the low beams, I removed the air box for the drivers side and did everything from up top, no need to even remove the access panel in the wheel well. I found the drivers side the easiest and it's the side I did first.

For the passenger side. In order to give my self enough room I removed the ECU (or whatever computer is behind the headlamp). Start by removing the connectors then undo the ground (8mm I believe). It is held down by a plastic clip on the top, just push that back and lift and the whole thing will come out giving you plenty of room to work. I did not disconnect my battery before doing this, not sure if your supposed to or not but the jeep started up fine afterwords and no check engine lights.

So all in all, not that bad of a job. I psyched myself out a bit reading people removing the bumper to do the job and it is completely unnecessary, took me about an hour and a half to do the lows and another ~45 to do the fogs (which I had done a few days prior).

·
Banned
408 Posts
Nikon858, Thank you for posting your experience and photos on this mod. I have looked at your other photos and the inside of you ride looks very nice. Multi ways of accessing the lights without removing the bumper is very helpful, Thank you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice job, where did you end up mounting the ballasts for the fogs? My HID kit for the fogs is in the mail so I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount em.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please keep us updated!

BTW, did you notice a good increase in light output with them on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed mine and they were flickering bad without the warning cancelers. Put them in and they have been good so far, so you definitely need them!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just received my girlfriends set for her jeep and only ordered the cancelers for the lows. Thought I read somewhere that the fogs didn't need it? I'm assuming I need to order another set?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I'm thinking of doing HID lows and fogs - took off the bumper cover last week to install an air horn; the cover is extremely easy for one person to remove. All you need is some type of plastic rivet kit to reinstall it; I got one from Harbor Freight for $16.00.

Questions on the Zenex HID kit - 1.) I've read on other HID sites that putting HIDs in the fog lights of a '14 Grand Cherokee will cause the fog light housing to melt - anyone experience this? 2.) Can you run DRLs with this kit, or do they have to be turned off in Settings?

·
Registered
Altitude
2,772 Posts
DDM tuning in my opinion is one of the best HID kits on the market in its price range. I've used them on my past two cars and now my '14 altitude and my wife's '13 Altima. Love their kits!!

Our GC's require the error code eliminators.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,902 Posts
DDM tuning in my opinion is one of the best HID kits on the market in its price range. I've used them on my past two cars and now my '14 altitude and my wife's '13 Altima. Love their kits!!

Our GC's require the error code eliminators.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Xeon Depot IMHO is best,

why buy cheap shit for a 35k jeep this isn't some civic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.