Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Going to start on this project next week. But just wanted to see if anyone has done this before? And if anyone has a wire hardness diagram for the headlight. I need to tap into high and low beam. This is the factory hid lights I'm working on.
Forgot to mention it's 2014+
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I haven’t done anything except put in new Philips bulbs on the WK2. Very interested in your results though. Love bright lights!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t done anything except put in new Philips bulbs on the WK2. Very interested in your results though. Love bright lights!
I might have to switch over to the morimoto d2s 5.0. Since I picked up a euro headlight with afs. The mled might be too big. Might see if anyone wants to buy the euro one so I don't open up a really good use set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought about doing the MLED but instead went the G5-BRT route with Osram CBBs. Lightwerkz has retrofit brackets that you can mount the MLEDs onto the OEM ones. However in my experience since I accidentally received those brackets instead of the ones for the G5, you will need to dremel the OEM projector mounting bracket to fit the MLED retrofit brackets.
Can’t comment on the wiring diagram since it was pretty straightforward for the G5BRT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about doing the MLED but instead went the G5-BRT route with Osram CBBs. Lightwerkz has retrofit brackets that you can mount the MLEDs onto the OEM ones. However in my experience since I accidentally received those brackets instead of the ones for the G5, you will need to dremel the OEM projector mounting bracket to fit the MLED retrofit brackets.
Can’t comment on the wiring diagram since it was pretty straightforward for the G5BRT.

Trimming the projector mount bracket was that for the afs? Or non afs. I bought a set of euro afs.

I might go the same route as you did if it requires too much modification. How do you like the output? I have a set of cbi waiting to go on right now. I thought about changing it to d1s since I have a old set of ballast from a wk build. And cbi with those also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trimming the projector mount bracket was that for the afs? Or non afs. I bought a set of euro afs.

I might go the same route as you did if it requires too much modification. How do you like the output? I have a set of cbi waiting to go on right now. I thought about changing it to d1s since I have a old set of ballast from a wk build. And cbi with those also.
That is for a pair of non-afs units that I have.

I will say that I had to make a modification to the OEM projector mounting bracket even for the G5-BRT, which required a small sliver of one of the corners of the bracket to be cut just so the retrofit bracket would sit flush. The output with the BRT is really good, slightly increased hotspot over the OEM units, but the biggest differences are in the better spread of the light output with increased width and the sharp/colorful cutoff.

Not familiar with D1S/D3S fully, but I think you'll need a different ballast if using D1S bulbs since they are not compatible with our OEM D3S ballasts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is for a pair of non-afs units that I have.

I will say that I had to make a modification to the OEM projector mounting bracket even for the G5-BRT, which required a small sliver of one of the corners of the bracket to be cut just so the retrofit bracket would sit flush. The output with the BRT is really good, slightly increased hotspot over the OEM units, but the biggest differences are in the better spread of the light output with increased width and the sharp/colorful cutoff.

Not familiar with D1S/D3S fully, but I think you'll need a different ballast if using D1S bulbs since they are not compatible with our OEM D3S ballasts.

I ended up ordering the same projector. Thanks for the heads up with that.

The d1s vs d3s, d3s is half the voltage of the d1s. It's their attempt to go green. I read that you lose like 20% of the output from the same blub. The swap is simple. The ballast fits right in and you have to create a new notch on the d1s lamp base. And remove the notch on the harness that plugs into it. There's a write up somewhere if you are interested.

·
Registered
GC TH
527 Posts
Do you guys have any other info for this swap? I’m considering just swapping the lenses on my 19, as the dimples on it seems to be part of the issue.

Another part of me wants to go ahead and switch to D1S, as well, as I don’t buy into the D3S being as bright with less power. Our WK1 HID’s are amazing with the CBI’s. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I’ve read and seen a few pics suggesting it may be possible to retrofit lenses/projectors w/o opening the light. Is this correct, or do I have to crack them open?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys have any other info for this swap? I’m considering just swapping the lenses on my 19, as the dimples on it seems to be part of the issue.

Another part of me wants to go ahead and switch to D1S, as well, as I don’t buy into the D3S being as bright with less power. Our WK1 HID’s are amazing with the CBI’s. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I’ve read and seen a few pics suggesting it may be possible to retrofit lenses/projectors w/o opening the light. Is this correct, or do I have to crack them open?
Not many people upgrade the projectors. Best upgrade is the d1s upgrade with out opening the headlight up.

Definitely not possible without opening it up. Gotta bake it open. Once I pop it open I'll take pics inside and see what works. I think I might be able to get the m-led to work if I move the cooling fan else where. Inside a afs headlight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did/is the CBI? My HID are too weak for my liking and I would rather stick the the DS3 set up.
Cbi is short for cool blue intense. It's a bulb from osram. But your better off with the night breaker laser version from them as long as you don't mind the warm color. If you want the whiter light cbi or cbb.. The cbn looks promising..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone opened oems? I have a laredo, so its probably easier, but still havent tried a permasealed headlight before. Id love to run quad Mled's in laredo housings painted black. or try to buy SRT housings damaged and salvage the internal LED array.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone opened oems? I have a laredo, so its probably easier, but still havent tried a permasealed headlight before. Id love to run quad Mled's in laredo housings painted black. or try to buy SRT housings damaged and salvage the internal LED array.
You can bake them open. Might have to bake them Alittle longer. But definitely doable. I cut mine open. I don't have a oven big enough. The Laredo will definitely be easier to wire up. Also look into getting a bracket to make it easy to mount.

I ended up doing g5-brt. I might be looking to sell my mled 2.0. I would of used it. But didn't want to move the cooling fan for it to fit. And more of a messy wiring job. All because of the afs system.. Wish I never bought that euro set just to open them 😅.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts