Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
A fully loaded Trail Hawk has every option the HA has except the Harman Kardon. (that's not available) On the flip side the TH has off road options that are not available on the HA.
To clarify, HA doesn't have certain "off road" options available from the factory, such as tow hooks and skids, but those can be added after the fact. However, because the HA has Summit fascias, installing the tow hooks is a little more challenging and those same fascias do not come off easily for those who want a steeper approach angle for "more serious" off-road. HA (and Summit) are "marketed" as street machines, but both are just as capable off-road as any other JGC when similarly equipped, even if it's aftermarket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We believed him, our mistake. The HK system isn't worth what we are dealing with now which is a one-sided off-road capable passenger vehicle...I love the HA look but starting to sour on the lower profile...at least until we take it camping a few times and it makes it down the roads I need it to.

But yeah we knew this the day after signing...which is why we considered a TH as a replacement...but the dealership preferred to bring a vehicle from another dealership over their own dealership in a neighboring state.
A fully loaded Trail Hawk has every option the HA has except the Harman Kardon. (that's not available) On the flip side the TH has off road options that are not available on the HA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
100% correct I misspoke. Knowing the difference I just swapped the names for lack of attention. I corrected my post to reflect accurately....
To clarify, HA doesn't have certain "off road" options available from the factory, such as tow hooks and skids, but those can be added after the fact. However, because the HA has Summit fascias, installing the tow hooks is a little more challenging and those same fascias do not come off easily for those who want a steeper approach angle for "more serious" off-road. HA (and Summit) are "marketed" as street machines, but both are just as capable off-road as any other JGC when similarly equipped, even if it's aftermarket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will say these speakers aren't bad per-se...but if you are an audiophile and demand clarity the first thing you do is rip out the HK system...probably the first mod I will do(it was in my Subaru)....Alpine Type R speakers are miles above anything HK Audio produces....and they aren't expensive either. The problem will be power sourcing as these HK speakers are made for low power drip and the AMP is a proprietary AMP which I don't believe will carry the weight of the replacement door and sub speakers. Bass is pretty limited right now too, the "19" speakers aren't really 19...Jeep says 4 speakers are bluetooth for phone calls, and unfortunately the Connect doesn't really have a fair replacement....but the EQ on the head unit is atrocious...I would swap it out but no manufacturers are making a recommended swap....at least none I've found with clean and decent power like a normal Alpine....after all the HU is a Panasonic.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
785 Posts
We believed him, our mistake. The HK system isn't worth what we are dealing with now which is a one-sided off-road capable passenger vehicle...I love the HA look but starting to sour on the lower profile...at least until we take it camping a few times and it makes it down the roads I need it to.

But yeah we knew this the day after signing...which is why we considered a TH as a replacement...but the dealership preferred to bring a vehicle from another dealership over their own dealership in a neighboring state.
The HA is great for light off roading, beach sand etc. (Just have to air down tires a bit) Not so good for going through deep ruts, I had to back out of this one so I wouldn't damage the front fascia! IMO with some decent AT tires it will be a lot better off roader. Gonna eventually get the Nitto either Terra Grapplers or Ridge Grapplers. Both of these tires are available in the stock tire size. Also Ohio Diesel makes front tow hooks for this model. Went to a local shop they wanted 250.00 to install them. Have to cut out some plastic.

https://jeepgarage.org/picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=6227

·
Registered
grand cherokee
17 Posts
I will say these speakers aren't bad per-se...but if you are an audiophile and demand clarity the first thing you do is rip out the HK system...probably the first mod I will do(it was in my Subaru)....Alpine Type R speakers are miles above anything HK Audio produces....and they aren't expensive either. The problem will be power sourcing as these HK speakers are made for low power drip and the AMP is a proprietary AMP which I don't believe will carry the weight of the replacement door and sub speakers. Bass is pretty limited right now too, the "19" speakers aren't really 19...Jeep says 4 speakers are bluetooth for phone calls, and unfortunately the Connect doesn't really have a fair replacement....but the EQ on the head unit is atrocious...I would swap it out but no manufacturers are making a recommended swap....at least none I've found with clean and decent power like a normal Alpine....after all the HU is a Panasonic.

I’ve got HK in my HA and Rebel and in my opinion sound better than most factory systems I’ve heard.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
The current head unit is contract manufactured by Panasonic, but it's not a "Panasonic Head Unit". Given the level of vehicle function integration at this point, I doubt that a third party replacement will ever be available or at least cost effective to produce for what is more or less a small market place these days, relatively speaking, given that the integration trend is pretty much universal across all vehicle manufacturers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone!

New to the forum thought I would post a pic of my 2017 HA. I am looking for some thoughts and advice on a 4 inch lift kit and some tires. Thoughts? I am going to keep the 20 inch rims because I like the look. I know 18s would be better, but I like the look of the stock 20s.

I have another vehicle for road trips and things, so this one mostly just for some fun weekend off-roading, and still maintain the ability to drive around town. I’d like an aggressive look (thus the 4inch lift versus a 2.5 inch body lift) with aggressive looking tires that don’t have too much road noise.

Thanks in advance!
Brett

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
597 Posts
Hello everyone!

New to the forum thought I would post a pic of my 2017 HA. I am looking for some thoughts and advice on a 4 inch lift kit and some tires. Thoughts? I am going to keep the 20 inch rims because I like the look. I know 18s would be better, but I like the look of the stock 20s.

I have another vehicle for road trips and things, so this one mostly just for some fun weekend off-roading, and still maintain the ability to drive around town. I’d like an aggressive look (thus the 4inch lift versus a 2.5 inch body lift) with aggressive looking tires that don’t have too much road noise.

Thanks in advance!
Brett
You have a High Altitude or an Altitude? I was under the impression they did not make the HA in 2017. Either way, if it is a 4x4 HA you aren't going to be able to do a 4" lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have a High Altitude or an Altitude? I was under the impression they did not make the HA in 2017. Either way, if it is a 4x4 HA you aren't going to be able to do a 4" lift.
Apologies! I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude model. I tried to post a pic but they don’t seem to post. I think you can see pics in the my garage section or my profile pic, but I am having difficulty navigating this site from my iPad.

·
Registered
Overland
6 Posts
Hey HA Owners

I just bought at 2019 Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude 2. Anyone know the diffences in a High Altitude vs a Overland High Altitude 2. This was literally what the name read on my window sticker. From what I understand High Altitude is just a trim level package you can put on some models. Is this correct? Does anyone else have a 19 Overland High Altitude 2?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
There is only ONE High Altitude and it's a package on top of Overland. You may be confusing it with the Altitude which is an appearance trim based on Laredo. The fact that HA is build on Overland gets further blurry because Jeep's "Build and Price" as well as other resources show HA like a separate trim, but they tend to do that for a lot of the special editions for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
grand cherokee
17 Posts
There is only ONE High Altitude and it's a package on top of Overland. You may be confusing it with the Altitude which is an appearance trim based on Laredo. The fact that HA is build on Overland gets further blurry because Jeep's "Build and Price" as well as other resources show HA like a separate trim, but they tend to do that for a lot of the special editions for marketing purposes.

Jim you’re 100% correct on my insurance card is says Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. IMG_4369.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey all,

Looking to get back into a Jeep and I'm heavily going back and forth between the HA and the Summit.

For the HA guys in here, did you PPF (paint protection film) your front end? How are the rock chips on this thing? I had a 12 overland (black) and didn't PPF it. Being black it didn't show the chips. The new one wont be black though so I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey all,

Looking to get back into a Jeep and I'm heavily going back and forth between the HA and the Summit.

For the HA guys in here, did you PPF (paint protection film) your front end? How are the rock chips on this thing? I had a 12 overland (black) and didn't PPF it. Being black it didn't show the chips. The new one wont be black though so I thought I'd ask.
Just turned in my 2017 Overland for a 2019 HA.

My 2017 Overland was White......let me tell you, NEVER AGAIN. The paint on these things are not the best and very prone to rock chips. I plan on keeping my HA for a long while. Im getting the PPF installed on the front bumper,full hood and side views and just protecting the rest with a ceramic coating.

New color is Silver Metallic which should hide some minor chips since the primer is black underneath.

********On a side note, where can i get grey granite lug nuts?

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
785 Posts
I agree about the rock chips. I also have a white HA and it seems every time I do any highway driving I have another chip. I was looking into the clear bras but am afraid of the yellowing effect (after a few years) I have been putting multiple layers of Finish First which is a knock off of the old Liquid Glass (Synthetic polish) I must have almost 20 coates on the front bumper. It seems to be preventing rock chips.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree about the rock chips. I also have a white HA and it seems every time I do any highway driving I have another chip. I was looking into the clear bras but am afraid of the yellowing effect (after a few years) I have been putting multiple layers of First Finish which is a take off of the old Liquid Glass (Synthetic polish) I must have almost 20 coates on the front bumper. It seems to be preventing rock chips.
New film won't yellow. Ceramic coating won't help your bumper nor will 35 coats of wax. Mopars paint is just sub par on fiberglass for some reason. Film is the only option. Repaint won't be the same and will actually be worse to keep up with

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
785 Posts
New film won't yellow. Ceramic coating won't help your bumper nor will 35 coats of wax. Mopars paint is just sub par on fiberglass for some reason. Film is the only option. Repaint won't be the same and will actually be worse to keep up with
I was looking into the XPEL Ultimate. I believe I was quoted somewhere around $800.00 just for the front bumper for my 18 HA. I was advised that it will not protect 100% against chips. Also IMHO it won't hold up 10 years. They haven't been around long enough to make this claim (who keeps a car 10 years anyway) You have to maintain it and the environment has a lot to do with how it holds up. I totally disagree with your 35 coat statement. This was my former JGC 2014 Limited. This photo was taken at 5yrs 50,000 miles. Mostly highway driving and probably 50 coats of Liquid Glass. I didn't have one chip on it when I traded it for my 18. Coincidence...maybe but I don't think so....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was looking into the XPEL Ultimate. I believe I was quoted somewhere around $800.00 just for the front bumper for my 18 HA. I was advised that it will not protect 100% against chips. Also IMHO it won't hold up 10 years. They haven't been around long enough to make this claim (who keeps a car 10 years anyway) You have to maintain it and the environment has a lot to do with how it holds up. I totally disagree with your 35 coat statement. This was my former JGC 2014 Limited. This photo was taken at 5yrs 50,000 miles. Mostly highway driving and probably 50 coats of Liquid Glass. I didn't have one chip on it when I traded it for my 18. Coincidence...maybe but I don't think so....

View attachment 218736
Paint has changed. New VOC laws. All new paint jobs are garbage especially on American vehicles. You'll never see a new bumper hood up like you 2014.

I used suntek ppf. Full bumper, hood, mirrors, front window tint, $1k

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
785 Posts
Paint has changed. New VOC laws. All new paint jobs are garbage especially on American vehicles. You'll never see a new bumper hood up like you 2014.

I used suntek ppf. Full bumper, hood, mirrors, front window tint, $1k
Okay well that would explain all the paint chips on the newer models. (I thought it was just a defective paint job) I had no idea they changed laws and are now using inferior paint)

2421 - 2440 of 2456 Posts