Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to jeeps and to this site.

So I bought a used 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. When the A/c is running I can hear a hissing noise on the inside of the vehicle. The A/C works good and is cooling. If I increase the idle the sound is much less, bring it back to idle and its louder.

Do you think it may be low on freon? Could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
10 Posts
Mine started doing the same just 2 days ago! I’ve been researching the issue and could be be several things wrong. The freon yeah it could be or the condenser or the evaporator or a leaky line. I’ll take it to the shop soon and find out the problem. I hope it’s just low freon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine started doing the same just 2 days ago! I’ve been researching the issue and could be be several things wrong. The freon yeah it could be or the condenser or the evaporator or a leaky line. I’ll take it to the shop soon and find out the problem. I hope it’s just low freon!
I will be interested in what you find out. From what I have read that seems like the best bet. Is your A/C still cooling?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes the ac is still cooling! Although at one instance yesterday it seem to be a little warm after sitting at a red light for an extended period of time. Water still drips under the car as it should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Low on freon I'm sure of! The question is what caused it to become low? I have an appointment in the morning to find out just that! I don't want to fill with freon just for it to leak back out within a month. The new R1234yf is much more expensive.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrackHawk
30 Posts
They should evacuate the system to know how much freon is in the system, hold a vacum to make sure system holds before refilling system to correct amount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well that was a waste of time! I took it to Pep Boys and the hissing sound mysteriously went away. Service worker said noting was wrong because it is blowing cold air. Besides that they can't check Dodge, Jeep, etc because they do not have he fitting to connect to our vehicles. I was trying to save a few bucks vs the dealer. As soon as I drive away the hissing is back. No I didn't turn around because they can't connect their ac fitting. So on to the next one. Stay tuned! I'm believe that freon is leaking from the condenser lines. I see green around the ends of the lines.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,390 Posts
Well that was a waste of time! I took it to Pep Boys and the hissing sound mysteriously went away. Service worker said noting was wrong because it is blowing cold air. Besides that they can't check Dodge, Jeep, etc because they do not have he fitting to connect to our vehicles. I was trying to save a few bucks vs the dealer. As soon as I drive away the hissing is back. No I didn't turn around because they can't connect their ac fitting. So on to the next one. Stay tuned! I'm believe that freon is leaking from the condenser lines. I see green around the ends of the lines.
oof Pep boys yeah they aren't going to Invest the 5-10k for 1 YF1234 recovery machine. the new refrigerant Requires Special machines and oil and the refrigerant is Uber Expensive aswell. Also side note it's also Flammable

·
Registered
5 Posts

So I bought a used 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. When the A/c is running I can hear a hissing noise on the inside of the vehicle. The A/C works good and is cooling. If I increase the idle the sound is much less, bring it back to idle and its louder.

Do you think it may be low on freon? Could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mine was doing that a few months ago and took it to the dealership to have the compressor charged... it had a leak and need to be replaced. mine was making the noise when the AC was on or defrost.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you

Thank you
I had a hissing sound in my JGC 2018 that sounded like it was coming from the dash on the passenger side. The technician recognized it as a dirty cabin filter that needed to be replaced. One the filter Was replaced, the hissing sound stopped.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Condenser leaks is a known issue with the grand cherokees. Mine was replaced just outside the warranty - took a lot of effort (and threats of court action) to get Jeep Australia to meet the cost of replacement as they should last longer than three years.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thank you
I am having the same problem! Mine is more of a "whooshing/rattling " every 10 seconds. The blower stopped working, had it towed to the jeep dealership for them to only change a fuse for $118.00!! The sound is still there, I took it back to the dealership only to be told that everything is working as it should!! No, it most definitely is not. So I'm very frustrated because its going to blow the fuse again and problem not diagnosed. Anyone have ANY IDEA what may be wrong with my a/c in my 2016 GC Summit?? I would so much appreciate even a place to start! I hope you get yours figured out also! If you do please post what it was so maybe it can help me and possibly others. Thank you!! 😊

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a hissing sound in my JGC 2018 that sounded like it was coming from the dash on the passenger side. The technician recognized it as a dirty cabin filter that needed to be replaced. One the filter Was replaced, the hissing sound stopped.
Jeep dealership wanted to replace my cabin filter for $70. I did it myself for $26. But it did not fix the pproblem. And it wasn't that Dirty anyway as I replaced it only a month ago!! They are just grasping at straws and nickel and diming me nearly to death. I'm so frustrated and upset. Glad it fixed your problem though... that's awesome!
What fuse was replaced ?
The blower fuse was replaced. Shortly after the a/c began making the sound the blower fuse blew. Its going to blow again too because they did not diagnose the problem. I dont know why the fuse blew

·
Registered
2019 Compass Trailhawk
24 Posts
Check the HVAC blower under the dash. My GC had the same issue. Since the part is relatively inexpensive I replaced it, but you can also add some drops of machine oil into the holes on the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you
I had the same issue in my 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude. Its hissing cause its low on refrigerant and will eventually run out. The likely culprit is the AC high pressure line. Dealer wants $1,100 to fix so i bought a extended warrant and going to get it fixed

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2017 limited is doing the exact same thing. Noise seems to me coming from the drivers side. It could be the high pressure line because recently I was cleaning the engine area and noticed some oil around the capped schraeder fitting on the line. I removed the cap to inspect it and Freon shot out. I was surprised as it only a protective cap. It’s not like I pressed the valve in to release the Freon. I just put the cap back on and it’s still blowing cold air. But it may become a bigger issue.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,390 Posts
My 2017 limited is doing the exact same thing. Noise seems to me coming from the drivers side. It could be the high pressure line because recently I was cleaning the engine area and noticed some oil around the capped schraeder fitting on the line. I removed the cap to inspect it and Freon shot out. I was surprised as it only a protective cap. It’s not like I pressed the valve in to release the Freon. I just put the cap back on and it’s still blowing cold air. But it may become a bigger issue.
Shrader valves can leak mine leaked few years ago it's slow but you are losing refrigerant.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts