Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,947 Posts
Mine is a 2017 and it has the new refrigerant, so is there a chart of those numbers?
Likely, sorry I don't have it....
The pressure-temperatures are very close, but I don't know if they built an entire new system for the R-1234yf or just modified the existing system. Regardless, I'd look for a table for the R-1234yf system....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Likely, sorry I don't have it....
The pressure-temperatures are very close, but I don't know if they built an entire new system for the R-1234yf or just modified the existing system. Regardless, I'd look for a table for the R-1234yf system....
Thank you Sir

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well, I will experiment with it a bit.
I have some noise in the back of the car that sounds like a screw rolling back and forth in some channel when I accelerate and brake hard, so I am waiting for it to piss me off enough to take it to the dealer. I must be annoyed with this stuff enough to build enough motivation to take the car to the dealer and deal with a day or more without the car probably.
Mine is a 2017 and it has the new refrigerant, so is there a chart of those numbers?
Hello, we are sorry to hear that you are facing these concerns with your AC. We recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer for an official diagnosis. Please send our team a private message for additional support throughout your service!

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone know if there is a diy kit out yet that you can recharge yourself like the other type of refrigerant that they sell at the auto stores?

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
And the winner is: evaporator leak. They will keep the car till Friday afternoon (I guess they have to get new evaporator?). Till then I have to "enjoy" driving rental Altima. It should be covered under warranty so its all good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
And the winner is: evaporator leak. They will keep the car till Friday afternoon (I guess they have to get new evaporator?). Till then I have to "enjoy" driving rental Altima. It should be covered under warranty so its all good.
I wonder if one of those recharge/sealant type diy would have selaed that? Unless those things only work in small stuff like leaking o-rings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No idea, but I am not going to mess with that while the car is on warranty. It is better to fix it properly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No idea, but I am not going to mess with that while the car is on warranty. It is better to fix it properly.
I agree. I’d do the same. But for me my 2017 is out of warranty and doing the same things as yours. I’d like to try and find a way to fix it myself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am under impression that the refrigerant contains some UV fluorescent dye? So get a blacklight and look around engine bay and under the dash. If there is something leaking maybe it will show up?
Or does one need to add dye by themselves?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well Im glad your vehicle is being taken care of. I went to the auto store and bought a can of refrigerant and the gage to check it. Mine was low on refrigerant when i hooked up the gage. I was very careful to add refrigerant as I did not want to over fill it. This did stop the hissing sound. Now is there a leak? Time will tell. If there is i will try this: Nu-Calgon 4050-01 A/C EasySeal SS Leak Sealant 1.25oz which I picked up on eBay. My neighbor swears by it if its a small leak which Im assuming it is because mine was still cooling. So we shall see

Thank you all for your experiences

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am under impression that the refrigerant contains some UV fluorescent dye? So get a blacklight and look around engine bay and under the dash. If there is something leaking maybe it will show up?
Or does one need to add dye by themselves?
I’ve seen the add in sealant or even add in leak detection somewhere before. Not sure if this new stuff that the factory is using already has uv in it.
Well Im glad your vehicle is being taken care of. I went to the auto store and bought a can of refrigerant and the gage to check it. Mine was low on refrigerant when i hooked up the gage. I was very careful to add refrigerant as I did not want to over fill it. This did stop the hissing sound. Now is there a leak? Time will tell. If there is i will try this: Nu-Calgon 4050-01 A/C EasySeal SS Leak Sealant 1.25oz which I picked up on eBay. My neighbor swears by it if its a small leak which Im assuming it is because mine was still cooling. So we shall see

Thank you all for your experiences
glad to hear it worked out for you. Could you post a link as to which gauge kit and which brand refrigerant you used. I should have the same r1234yf in my 2017 as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I’ve seen the add in sealant or even add in leak detection somewhere before. Not sure if this new stuff that the factory is using already has uv in it.

glad to hear it worked out for you. Could you post a link as to which gauge kit and which brand refrigerant you used. I should have the same r1234yf in my 2017 as well.
I didn't add the sealant yet, I just checked it and it was low so I added a couple shots of refrigerant. If it leaks down again I will add the sealant. This is the gauge: AC Pro Certified R-1234yf Guarge & Hose set

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't add the sealant yet, I just checked it and it was low so I added a couple shots of refrigerant. If it leaks down again I will add the sealant. This is the gauge: AC Pro Certified R-1234yf Guarge & Hose set
And what refrigerant did you use? The only one I’ve seen is the honeywell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So I bought just one can. I only used maybe one third of the can. It can be saved as it is self sealing can for future use. When you connect the gage to your port it will tell you if it is low. if it is, then you shake the can and then attach it to the hose and gauge. They tell you to rotate the can from 12 to 3 position as you squeeze the trigger and count to 10 sec and then stop and see where the gage now reads. I did it twice and then it was in the green (good) area of the gage. You don't want to over fill it so do it for 10 sec then stop and check your gauge. It was simple and took about 10 mins reading the instructions and filling it

·
Registered
149 Posts
I actually just came across some of the dye leak detector cans on Amazon. The description said it was the same dye that already comes in r1234yf refrigerant. So it does sound like a possibility that all one needs is a black light to check for leaks in these modern systems. I’ll try it if I can get my hands on a light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Jeep Wrangler is making the “Darth Vader” noise when the AC is on. They have topped off the Freon, they have checked for leaks. The dealership hasn’t been able to find anything wrong with it. At this point, I really just would like them to replace the whole AC because they have no clue how to fix it but the noise is really annoying.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts