Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Altitude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to my Grand Cherokee and wanted to install a hitch and harness to tow my 6x12 trailer. I just installed a Reese hitch without issue. My question is shouldn't my Cherokee have a factory harness behind the bumper? I couldn't find the plug. I was hoping to use the factory one and have the dealer activate it. I also saw the Curt and Tekonsha 4 pin wiring kits and will do this if I have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
JGC
876 Posts
"The trailer tow wiring was been removed from Grand Cherokee vehicles built after 3/12/2018, if the vehicle was not ordered with the Trailer Tow Package. Prior to that build date, the trailer tow wiring was present in Non-Trailer Tow vehicles as a giveaway and could be used for dealer upgrade."

·
Administrator
11,466 Posts
There is a retrofit harness available from Mopar for JGCs that do not have the towing harness from the factory. This largely applies to vehicles manufactured after the 2018 date that the previous poster mentioned, but it started with the Laredo based vehicles and then moved up to the Limited, etc., over time. Note that in addition to the harness, the wiring has to be turned on in the vehicle computer by a dealer, although some folks seem to have been able to do it with an investment in some software.

Reactions: JakdMan

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Altitude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My GC is a 2021 Altitude without tow package so I guess that explains why it doesn't have the wiring behind the bumper. I guess I'll have to go with the aftermarket harness. I was looking at the Tekonsha 4 pin T harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts