14,649 Posts
the ones i saw in the parking lot at the dealership all had 2" hitches

·
Registered
2011 JGC Overland
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

I'm really interested in getting this for the rear bumper protection.. not when I park (cause we got sensors and a cam) but when I'm parked and other careless folks boink me... uh oh..:slapfight:

Any opinions on this?

p.s. wish there was some nice, contoured bar like this for the front that wouldn't look like those bull bars.

To each his own, but those will kill the look on new fascia. :eek:

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
they are def great to have for idiots who can't drive/park and end up hitting our trucks!!! i just keep my reg reciever on the back with the ball on. if they hit my rear bumper they will have a hole in their bumper or radiator:)

·
Registered
2011 JGC Overland
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol: Yeah, they'll certainly hurt their front end with the height we sit at...

oh, any ideas on the pin size? I want to get a hitch lock as well..

I think they come in 1/2 and 5/8.

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
1/2" also check out etrailer.com i got all my stuff there pretty cheap.. you shouldn't bother with a pin, get a lock! you don't want someone running off with it by simply taking out the pin

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
i want the one on the back of the white gmc pickup!!!!!!

·
Registered
2011 JGC Overland
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, its a pin lock.. not just a pin.

Are you sure about the 1/2" for the 2" hitches?

" The 5/8" pin fits all 2" Class III receiver hitches. The 1/2" pin fits all 1-1/4" Class II receiver hitches"

http://www.realtruck.com/product/31565/trimax-receiver-hitch-pin-lock-wyet3_t3_chrome.html

1/2" also check out etrailer.com i got all my stuff there pretty cheap.. you shouldn't bother with a pin, get a lock! you don't want someone running off with it by simply taking out the pin

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
my fault renegade it is 5/8th not 1/2.... make sure the lock u have has a rubber cap otherwise salt/snow will rust out the locking mech real quick!!!

mossehead - that is NUTS!!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the grill in the first pic. great when we go camping with the motorhome. Hang it on the back of the car in tow and no need to take up valuable space to store it during the trip.

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
how much was it?

·
Registered
02, 06, 11, Jeeps
527 Posts
I never got a response on another towing thread here so here it is again:

Anyone tried using a "cushioned" ball mount? I have read some good reviews and supposedly quiets the ride a lot from all the banging and whatnot if there is any play in the ball mount/pin area, and when starting and stopping. Anyone have one?

·
Waggie
3,211 Posts
I never got a response on another towing thread here so here it is again:

Anyone tried using a "cushioned" ball mount? I have read some good reviews and supposedly quiets the ride a lot from all the banging and whatnot if there is any play in the ball mount/pin area, and when starting and stopping. Anyone have one?

+1 it would be nice to quiet things down. I've thought about it, but always punt as it looks like the cushion material would just get ground down by normal use and you'd be back where you started. Normal use typically turns the chromed ball into a rusted, scratched ball.

Edit: My bad, if you're referring to the spacers that tighten the mount between the female hitch receiver and male ball mount, then yes, they work reasonably well.

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
sorry don't have one. they sell spacers to put in there so there is no rattle. check etrailer.com they sell them there

·
Registered
213 Posts
how much was it?
I think it was in the 250 neighborhood give or take 20. I bought it almost 3 years ago and don't remember exactly. This was with everything for hitch mounting and locking.

Large cooking area, I can cook 12 "large"burgers at once on it. Easy clean up, just pour in and light the charcoal then cook.

I haven't used it while connected to the vehicle, I remove it and place it on a picnic table. I'm afraid it would get hot enough to harm the rear of the vehicle.

Mine is not this exact one but almost identical.

·
Registered
02, 06, 11, Jeeps
527 Posts
This is what I am looking at right here:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Convert-A-Ball/AMSC4HD.html

Definitely overkill as far as capacity but I look at it as a safety margin. It is a cushioned ball mount and the hole is 1 1/4 so you can mount a heavier duty but still a regular "standard" 2 inch ball on it as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts