Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small section on the leading edge of my hood, looks like rust bubbling. I assumed with an aluminum hood that having a spot like this would be very unlikely. It's definitely factory paint and there is no chip, dent, or repair anywhere near it. It started about three months ago from about a 1/4" under the fold and has crept to the top just like rust. There is no other bubbling anywhere. Any thoughts.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Hood Bumper Car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Damn that sucks! It looks like a rust issue. If you don't regularly wax your Jeep (or even if you do), you should just make sure you keep that area waxed well until you figure out what to do so it doesn't get worse in the meantime. Might not do too much, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you M.D., I have even read that first post I should've known better than to waste space without searching. Just like all of them I love my jeep to death but I'm so exhausted by the bullshit that is caused by lack of forethought. Even with thousands of parts you could still see a moment where somebody would say wait a minute I don't think that's a good idea. German design Italian owned built buy all sorts of different people below above and close to the border, and changed hands in the middle no way anything could go wrong

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It's okay... we all experience the frustrations when things aren't right.

Reactions: Governor

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
722 Posts
Can't be rust if the hood is aluminum.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aluminum oxidizes just like any metal and with dissimilar metals or compositions and no insulator or relief it will happen more aggressively. In this case it breaks the bond between the paint and allows for contamination. I think

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
It could be oxidation or some other kind of contamination. 'Definitely needs to be attended to...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive lighting Light Amber Auto part Automotive exterior

Here's a '12 exploder. It's a bummer but as of now doesn't affect too many relative to production, however it's unlikely that any will escape over the long term.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just noticed this paint bubbling issue on my 2017 which ive owned for only 9 months now. I bought it brand new. Its corrosion under the paint from the aluminum being contaminated somehow from the factory. Its not rust because its aluminum, its not because of outside elements or if you washed or waxed your car or not. It's a manufacturer defect in the painting process. If the aluminum is contaminated prior to painting at the factory this will happen no matter how you treat or care for your vehicle. I just called my dealer and they said bring it in. Made an appointment and they asked me if I want a loaner without them even seeing it yet so they are obviously aware of the situation. I'm sure it's more common then one would think. Seems like it was most likely a quality control problem. The JGC comes with a 5 year paint corrosion warranty with no mileage attached so it is covered. I've seen this on other cars with painted aluminum parts. Not happy about it. I hope Jeep does a good job correcting the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen on my Commander, the rust warranty took care of it. I believe they installed a new hood since it indicated a bad seam and would continue even if they fixed it. Don't sweat it man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same thing. 2015 GC with 64k miles.I went to the dealer, he looked at it for 5 seconds and said pick when to drop it off and he’ll need it for 2-3 days. Covered under a paint defect. A friend had it on her white one and they included a rental for her, no charge

·
Registered
2015 GC Laredo
28 Posts
Noticed this on my 2015 with 36k as well. Hopefully the dealer will take care of it without any issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Factory defect. I have the same issue. Two days from now dealership will be taking care of it. There’s a warranty that covers factory defects like this. I’ll be getting an entirely new hood.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just noticed it on my 2012 with 42k miles. Called Jeep, outside of paint warranty. Such BS.
Paint has a 5 yr warranty on it. I advise anyone within this time frame to inspect their hood for any signs of corrosion on the aluminum hoods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts