Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......is back for 2011-2017 JGC 5.7’s...

So, WTF???

A while ago someone posted this and I replied that I had called multiple times, only to get either the runaround or someone telling me that this was discontinued.

Just happened to be looking at an exhaust by them for my 02 WS6, when I came across this exhaust BACK ON THE MARKET FOR SALE....same video as before, and to me, provides the exact sound I’m looking for-deep and throaty, and no “tin/rasp” up on the higher RPM range...

You’re welcome.

Reactions: gspfunk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the link. I’ve been playing with the exhaust on my 2018 limited 5.7 for a few months. I installed Bobs glasspack resonators with the stock muffler. Too quiet. Removed the stock mid muffler and replaced it with a totalflow single chamber dual in dual out muffler. Sounds great on the throttle. Tons of drone just cruising.
I just ordered this exhaust last night. Will post video once installed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. I’ve been playing with the exhaust on my 2018 limited 5.7 for a few months. I installed Bobs glasspack resonators with the stock muffler. Too quiet. Removed the stock mid muffler and replaced it with a totalflow single chamber dual in dual out muffler. Sounds great on the throttle. Tons of drone just cruising.
I just ordered this exhaust last night. Will post video once installed.

Welcome. I'm going to order mine as soon as I find out if the shop I want to use to install these can modify the tips to my liking. I want to go either quad round tips or re-use the stock Summit ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm curious to know if it drones or not. Sounds good from the video but its a bit muffled.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious to know if it drones or not. Sounds good from the video but its a bit muffled.
Renegade69 will have this installed before me, so he can comment. I’m curious as well. Hopefully not. The x part of the x Pipe was supposedly moved to the back in order to eliminate that.

My biggest issue with other systems is the “tinny” sound at higher RPMS. I HATED that. This is the only system that does not do that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
And sadly won't work with my Overland/HA that uses the Summit style rectangular shaped tips. Round tips in a rectangular opening would look crappy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And sadly won't work with my Overland/HA that uses the Summit style rectangular shaped tips. Round tips in a rectangular opening would look crappy.

Are you sure about that?

Similar to this Corsa exhaust, I already have spoken to the muffler shop that will do my exhaust, and they can and will switch out the exhaust tips to whatever I want. My plan is 3 or 4" quad round, slanted tips, similar to the Corsa look, just a bit different.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quad tips look great. But my point was that we’d have to pay $1200 for the system, then pay another $300 for decent tips plus the labor to cut up a brand new system and pretty soon it’s $1600-1700. If they’d offer optional tips it would be far more cost effective. Besides I like stealth and prefer to keep it looking reasonably original, and don’t want to cut the OE tips off the stock system so it can go back to stock if the new exhaust gets too annoying.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quad tips look great. But my point was that we’d have to pay $1200 for the system, then pay another $300 for decent tips plus the labor to cut up a brand new system and pretty soon it’s $1600-1700. If they’d offer optional tips it would be far more cost effective. Besides I like stealth and prefer to keep it looking reasonably original, and don’t want to cut the OE tips off the stock system so it can go back to stock if the new exhaust gets too annoying.

Valid points, I guess to each their own. I'm sold on this specific system; everything else sounds like shit to me, especially in the higher RPM range. I honestly feel that Hooker got it right. As far as the tips, the ones I found were on Amazon, for between $60-80 dollars in the styles I was considering. And yes, I was quoted about $2-300 for the fab work and install at the exhaust shop I talked to. BUT, now you're at the cost of a Corsa system for something that sounds infinitely better IMO. So at the end of the day, you have an almost-out-of-the-box system that doesnt sound like a high pitched redundant diarrheal-esque fart in the higher RPM's and looks great. I dunno...if it comes down to a cost issue, I can understand that. Other than that, the choice is clear to me.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
270 Posts
That exhaust has my attention. It says only through 2017...I have a 2018...what's different underneath, or have they just not updated the product data sheet and web site?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Arsenal- I agree the sound of this system is the best I’ve heard so far. My hesitation is not knowing how it’ll sound inside when pulling 6500# at 2600-3200 rpms for several hours at a time. I’ve had Flowmaster and Magnaflow systems on big SUVs in the past that were great in daily driving and at 75-80 on the highway but would give you a headache pulling the race car trailer on the highway.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mikey and Tow -
The best advice i have is to call them and talk to one of their guys. I called after this was discontinued and spoke to some knowledgeable people. It appears that this has been re-released and hopefully, it stays that way for some time to come. I also do not want the drone, but I do want to "hear" it. I'm constantly driving in sport mode, using the paddle shifters - around town and even on the highway. Sure, it makes my MPG laughable, but even with the stock system, I can hear it "wanting" to sound better. I can't imagine what this will sound like when I have the Hooker system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Arsenal- I agree the sound of this system is the best I’ve heard so far. My hesitation is not knowing how it’ll sound inside when pulling 6500# at 2600-3200 rpms for several hours at a time. I’ve had Flowmaster and Magnaflow systems on big SUVs in the past that were great in daily driving and at 75-80 on the highway but would give you a headache pulling the race car trailer on the highway.
My 2014 has a Corsa w/quad tips. I pulled our trailer into the mountains a few weeks ago. Besides the bark when shifting under load, I did not notice any issues with droning.

Granted our trailer has a low profile and weighs less than 5k the way it was loaded. Maybe adding another 1500lbs would make a difference.

This truck is new to me and this was the first time I’ve towed with it. I was happy with the way the hemi pulled. Better than my last tow vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hooker system was delivered this weekend. Hopefully it will be installed by the end of this week.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hooker system was delivered this weekend. Hopefully it will be installed by the end of this week.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. I'm anticipating purchasing it very soon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Install soon? :xfings:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay. Installed the exhaust last night.
A few things we ran into. My GC is a 2018 Limited 4x4. Hooker says up to 2017.

1- The resonators off the cat pipes don’t line up with the hanger/isolators. We simply removed and reinstalled the brackets 180 degrees. Easy fix.
2- the sleeves or clamps they give you that connect the rear pipe to the rear mufflers are terrible, couldn’t get them to stop leaking no matter how tight we tried. We removed them and welded the pipes together.

The system sounds great when you get on it. At idle it is docile, very quiet. This might change with time. At 60 mph, there is absolutely no drone, at any speed up to 60 mph there is no in cabin drone.
I will try faster speeds but I live in NYC posted speed limit is 50 mph on parkways.
I will try and get some video today.
So far I like the system. I think I will eventually buy new exhaust donut seals and replace them, just for the fact that they have been compressed prior to installing this system.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts