Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi as the title says my pride and joy appears to be heading for a write-off situation, so I've started looking around at replacement vehicles in the expected payout range ($35k, ceiling of $45k with beer money thrown in). Being a picky bugger, I found myself back at Grand Cherokees again. It wasn't a huge surprise, but it's an easy decision to go with the devils I know, given how well my first GC performed.

My outgoing vehicle is a 2014 v6 petrol Laredo, which was a reliable and fun car to get around in especially with a lift and steel protective bits... This time though I am leaning more towards the other end of the trim range, an Overland, or at minimum something lesser with Offroad Adventure Pack rolled in.

It looks like I can get the Overland in all 3 engines up til 2016, then Jeep went diesel only. I'm open to opinions of all 3 engines, there's a 2015 V8 Hemi available in my city, and a slew of diesels... Not being a diesel fan, can anyone talk me into it? Also what's a reasonable life expectancy of the diesel past 100,000 clicks, assuming correct servicing? Is the Hemi that thirsty? (Laredo was averaging 16-17L around town)

Thanks in advance, a belated merry xmas, and happy new year for tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,790 Posts
Hi as the title says my pride and joy appears to be heading for a write-off situation, so I've started looking around at replacement vehicles in the expected payout range ($35k, ceiling of $45k with beer money thrown in). Being a picky bugger, I found myself back at Grand Cherokees again. It wasn't a huge surprise, but it's an easy decision to go with the devils I know, given how well my first GC performed.

My outgoing vehicle is a 2014 v6 petrol Laredo, which was a reliable and fun car to get around in especially with a lift and steel protective bits... This time though I am leaning more towards the other end of the trim range, an Overland, or at minimum something lesser with Offroad Adventure Pack rolled in.

It looks like I can get the Overland in all 3 engines up til 2016, then Jeep went diesel only. I'm open to opinions of all 3 engines, there's a 2015 V8 Hemi available in my city, and a slew of diesels... Not being a diesel fan, can anyone talk me into it? Also what's a reasonable life expectancy of the diesel past 100,000 clicks, assuming correct servicing? Is the Hemi that thirsty? (Laredo was averaging 16-17L around town)

Thanks in advance, a belated merry xmas, and happy new year for tomorrow :)
If you liked the V6 I'd say get another one unless you have driven the Hemi and want the extra power. The hemi will burn more gas, esp if you run around town in it quite a bit. Unless you are doing a whole lot of towing I just don't see meaningful benefits to the diesel. And as with the Hemi, if you are thinking you might go diesel take a decent test drive. The horrible throttle lag cause me to cross it off the list immediately.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Jim, you're right, the 3.6L petrol engine handled everything I threw at it mate.
Diesel is taken more seriously over here than in the states though - a high percentage of GC buyers take the diesel option down here, and as a result there are many more used diesels than petrols around, in the Overland especially. It would be good to have higher towing capacity for sure, although I'm more interested in whether it's much more hassle or cost to live with a diesel Jeep than a petrol one, here in our burnt out corner of the world. Would be my first diesel as historically i avoided it when buying a vehicle.
Cheers
Si

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the diesel Laredo and it's a lovely little donk. Certainly the soft throttle isn't the best and it did put me off it before I purchase the car but you get used to it (my other car is a manual FG XR8 which has a razor sharp throttle response)

Fuel economy wise, i'm surprise the petrol is 16-17 around town, I was getting 8.5 - 9 around town in the diesel but after the last service which apparently included an update, it's now averaging about a litre more around town.

Servicing, stay away from the dealers and it shouldn't be much more expensive than the petrol.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'm now onto my third diesel, an MY11 Laredo, then a MY15 Overland both purchased new. Now I have a late MY17 Overland purchased 2nd hand with 20,000km. As others say, stay away from the dealers for servicing, find a good interdependent and the cost should be no more than a petrol. The diesel is a great engine - economy of 8'ish on the freeway and 10'ish in town. Heaps of easy power and still smooth, no diesel rattle at all.
Remember that the MY17 have a 5 year warranty and servicing at 20km intervals, so if you can stretch to an MY17 then that's the way to go. By purchasing 2nd hand I saved $30k on a new one but benefit from the balance of the 5 year warranty and longer service interval.
The diesel will be worth more at resale if that matters to you.
Get a diesel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts