Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many JC and JGC over the years but this the first vehicle I've had with 20" rims. Terra Grappler 265/50/R20s on a 2014 JGC Overland.
Over the several weeks after purchasing the vehicle I traveled about 2000 miles of mostly highway and noticed fairly quickly the terrible ride quality.
Every expansion joint in the pavement or slight bumps cause a teeth rattling jolt. Did some off road stuff in the Big Bend country of Texas and found even airing down to 25 PSI it still rode terrible even while crawling. The 4x4 place locally says the big rims result in zero sidewall flex and I should go back to 18" rims or even better 17" if I can get them to clear the front brake rotors. I'd also like to go taller tires but can't find agreement whether I can go over 31.5 inch tires. Suggestions please!

Leslie

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you went with 275/65/18 (32.1"), you'd for sure notice a much smoother ride. Should fit without any trimming.

Sidewall on a 265/50 tire is only 5.2" tall. 275/65 is 7" tall.

Big wheels are good for only two things. Looking good, and better traction around corners. For traction during acceleration and braking, softer ride, and offroad use, the smaller the rim, the better.

Reactions: andrewsiff

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had many JC and JGC over the years but this the first vehicle I've had with 20" rims. Terra Grappler 265/50/R20s on a 2014 JGC Overland.
Over the several weeks after purchasing the vehicle I traveled about 2000 miles of mostly highway and noticed fairly quickly the terrible ride quality.
Every expansion joint in the pavement or slight bumps cause a teeth rattling jolt. Did some off road stuff in the Big Bend country of Texas and found even airing down to 25 PSI it still rode terrible even while crawling. The 4x4 place locally says the big rims result in zero sidewall flex and I should go back to 18" rims or even better 17" if I can get them to clear the front brake rotors. I'd also like to go taller tires but can't find agreement whether I can go over 31.5 inch tires. Suggestions please!

Leslie
You can go to a 32 inch tire, but you will rub in extreme flexing situations. If you switch to an 18 inch wheel and get a more positive offset to add fender well clearance, that will go away. Small lift kits are also available and affordable that will get you to a 33” tire.

Regarding whether 18” or 17” will fit, it depends on whether or not you have the HD brakes. Is your vehicle equipped with a towing package? Hemi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can go to a 32 inch tire, but you will rub in extreme flexing situations. If you switch to an 18 inch wheel and get a more positive offset to add fender well clearance, that will go away. Small lift kits are also available and affordable that will get you to a 33” tire.

Regarding whether 18” or 17” will fit, it depends on whether or not you have the HD brakes. Is your vehicle equipped with a towing package? Hemi?
Yes to towing package and yes to Hemi so I have the big brakes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I bought new wheels for my Limited, I stayed with 18's. I went with a 0 offset, which looks fantastic but it creates even more rubbing issues in the front than it had when it was +56 offset. I had to do pinch weld mod and some fender flare cutting to make them work. It was worth it for me because I wanted the wide stance. If you stick with +20 or +30 or so, you should be ok with 32's without having to modify anything. Factory +56 wheels will rub a tiny bit in certain situations, like HemiAaron said above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you went with 275/65/18 (32.1"), you'd for sure notice a much smoother ride. Should fit without any trimming.

Sidewall on a 265/50 tire is only 5.2" tall. 275/65 is 7" tall.

Big wheels are good for only two things. Looking good, and better traction around corners. For traction during acceleration and braking, softer ride, and offroad use, the smaller the rim, the better.
I have the RC 2.5” suspension lift on my 2020 altitude. Stock tires size is 265/50r20. You think 265/60r20s will fit without spacer or pinch mod? It’s 32.5” od

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the RC 2.5” suspension lift on my 2020 altitude. Stock tires size is 265/50r20. You think 265/60r20s will fit without spacer or pinch mod? It’s 32.5” od
You will probably rub a little, but I don't think it would be severe. Probably could be resolved with some minor felt liner trimming or tucking, possibly some light trimming on the front fender flares.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,750 Posts

Leslie
I had the 20's on my Summit and switched to 18's. I didn't notice much difference in ride quality or handling between them on streets and highways but I thought the 18's were way better off road. I had the goodyear somethingorothers for 20's and went to Michelin Defenders for the 18's.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,786 Posts
Then 18” is the smallest. I went to 18’s and love it.
Some WK2's came with 17" wheels, 17" wheels will only fit over SD brakes. Yes, if you have a HEMI after 2012, then you have HD brakes and only 18" or larger wheels will fit over those brakes. Yes, the O.P. has HD brakes so 18" wheels is the smallest "he" can go, just pointing out there are 17" wheels to prevent any confusion/misunderstanding, because 18" is not the smallest wheel for the WK2, 17" is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts