Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Trackhawk
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I realize this is a sensitive and personal subject, but I HAVE to ask those of you with the Trackhawk; What kind of financial situation allowed you to buy one?

I ask because I've been running the numbers, trying to contemplate all the scenarios where this thing might be possible, and I cannot for the LIFE of me come up with a scenario that isn't INSANE.

A friend of mine locally traded in TWO of his cars (Hellcat and RAM Powerwagon) to get a DEMO Trackhawk and STILL had to put a large chunk of money onto his line of credit.

I've looked into the price at the dealership (in CANADA, mind you) and to finance this thing seems to cost between $1500/month and $1800+/month depending on whether or not you take a discounted 'leftover 2018' or order a fresh one.

I look around this forum, and everyone seems to have traded their SRTs for Trackhawks like it was NO BIG DEAL.

I ask you all... HOW!???

I can understand if I worked at McDonald's for minimum wage, but it's not like that. My common-law wife and I make VERY good money, do not have kids, and have no debt other than the mortgage to speak of. I'm not in ANY WAY bragging, but for the purposes of this conversation I'll say our household combined income is around $180,000/yr.

Even with DECENT income, it still seems like the Trackhawk is just WAY too much money.

At the end of the day, I just can't seem to wrap my head around buying a vehicle for $109,000-$128,000 and to have a $1500-$1800/month car payment.

This is ESPECIALLY true when I can order an SRT, and pay ~$70,000 for it.

To go from a $70,000 SRT (MSRP $86,600) to a Trackhawk that is $109,000-$128,000 just seems INSANE to me!

I spent about an hour the other day behind the wheel of the Trackhawk test driving it around my city.

Don't get me wrong, it's VERY NICE, and it seemed DAMN fast (I didn't push it, cause it wasn't mine)... but it's not like the SRT is SLOW.

What exactly justifies the approx. $40,000 difference in price from the SRT? Especially if you're driving around in a city where "PUSHING" the Trackhawk means you'll probably end up in jail?

Anyway... I just had to vent a bit and ask how you guys are doing it.

Are some of you just OK with these ultra high payments? Do you guys trade in a bunch of cars or hit up your savings account to make things bearable?

Please share what your situations are (hopefully you're all high priced lawyers or doctors, etc) so I can feel better about not being able to pull the trigger on a Trackhawk and still sleep at night.

If I can be so bold, how much are you guys paying per month? How much did you put down? Etc? :confused:

I think that saving up the money for a huge down payment would make sense, but then I think if I have a huge pile of 'down payment money' I would be much wiser to spend it on something that isn't going to RAPIDLY depreciate (like additions to my house, etc).

The one dealer I spoke with even WARNED ME not to buy the Trackhawk because they are depreciating faster than normal, and there are HUGE inventories of them rotting on dealer lots with nobody to love them...

Any insight you guys can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
Hello everyone,

Don't get me wrong, it's VERY NICE, and it seemed DAMN fast (I didn't push it, cause it wasn't mine)... but it's not like the SRT is SLOW.
No a SRT isn't slow, (I had two of them) but a TH is quick, very very quick. But remember, there's always something quicker out there.

What exactly justifies the approx. $40,000 difference in price from the SRT? Especially if you're driving around in a city where "PUSHING" the Trackhawk means you'll probably end up in jail?
The same can be said for any high performance car.

If I can be so bold, how much are you guys paying per month? :confused:
Zero

The one dealer I spoke with even WARNED ME not to buy the Trackhawk because they are depreciating faster than normal, and there are HUGE inventories of them rotting on dealer lots with nobody to love them...
Most dealers will "listen to you" and adjust their sales pitch to what you want to hear. If I was worried about deprecation, I would not have bought any of the high performance cars that I've bought in the past 20 years.

It "sounds to me" as if you are trying to convince yourself that a SRT is good enough. And there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
You haven't seen those Etrade commercials with all the beautiful girls dancing on the big yacht?

·
Registered
jgc srt
42 Posts
I was able to go from always having a sports car and an SUV to the Trackhawk. I'm not too worried about depreciation , as I plan on keeping it long term. I bought the 8 year 125,000 mile warranty. I don't make as much money as I use to, but I'm 61 and everything I have is paid for. I drive it year round, and am always excited to drive it. Gordo

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
248 Posts
Hello everyone,

I realize this is a sensitive and personal subject, but I HAVE to ask those of you with the Trackhawk; What kind of financial situation allowed you to buy one?

I ask because I've been running the numbers, trying to contemplate all the scenarios where this thing might be possible, and I cannot for the LIFE of me come up with a scenario that isn't INSANE.

A friend of mine locally traded in TWO of his cars (Hellcat and RAM Powerwagon) to get a DEMO Trackhawk and STILL had to put a large chunk of money onto his line of credit.

I've looked into the price at the dealership (in CANADA, mind you) and to finance this thing seems to cost between $1500/month and $1800+/month depending on whether or not you take a discounted 'leftover 2018' or order a fresh one.

I look around this forum, and everyone seems to have traded their SRTs for Trackhawks like it was NO BIG DEAL.

I ask you all... HOW!???

I can understand if I worked at McDonald's for minimum wage, but it's not like that. My common-law wife and I make VERY good money, do not have kids, and have no debt other than the mortgage to speak of. I'm not in ANY WAY bragging, but for the purposes of this conversation I'll say our household combined income is around $180,000/yr.

Even with DECENT income, it still seems like the Trackhawk is just WAY too much money.

At the end of the day, I just can't seem to wrap my head around buying a vehicle for $109,000-$128,000 and to have a $1500-$1800/month car payment.

This is ESPECIALLY true when I can order an SRT, and pay ~$70,000 for it.

To go from a $70,000 SRT (MSRP $86,600) to a Trackhawk that is $109,000-$128,000 just seems INSANE to me!

I spent about an hour the other day behind the wheel of the Trackhawk test driving it around my city.

Anyway... I just had to vent a bit and ask how you guys are doing it.

Are some of you just OK with these ultra high payments? Do you guys trade in a bunch of cars or hit up your savings account to make things bearable?

Please share what your situations are (hopefully you're all high priced lawyers or doctors, etc) so I can feel better about not being able to pull the trigger on a Trackhawk and still sleep at night.

If I can be so bold, how much are you guys paying per month? How much did you put down? Etc? :confused:

I think that saving up the money for a huge down payment would make sense, but then I think if I have a huge pile of 'down payment money' I would be much wiser to spend it on something that isn't going to RAPIDLY depreciate (like additions to my house, etc).

Any insight you guys can provide would be appreciated.
Lol, this rant is pretty funny to me, I make a decent amount as well and could probably make the payments but unfortunately my wife would divorce me if I got one so I have to settle with my tuned up 5.7... for now at least ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buying an overpriced, depreciating asset is never a sound/rational decision. You either want it for what it is and dont mind over paying, or you come up with 1000 reasons (most valid) not to buy it. This is not an investment; it is a luxury toy plain and simple. I can't measure in dollars the amount of fun this truck brings me so worth every penny. I love driving it, love working on it, and love giving the smackdown to pretty much anything that rolls up next to me with an attitude! lol as the new saying goes: you do you

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If you apparently can't afford a TH one solution is to bite the bullet and size down to an affordable vehicle.

In my situation, i got decent deal on a demo, IRA distribution, savings withdrawal all to get the balance of the sale down to a $178/month/5yr. loan.
I could of paid cash but wanted to keep my credit rating healthy.

Realize though i have no home mortgage monthly payments as i paid that out years ago. A BIG BIG monkey off my back as that was a gulp 8% mortgage loan.

Now i just got to pay off my Ford F150 which is $248 per month.
Only $4000 to go and then here comes the title!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I bought a 10-year-old 911, drove it for ten years, and sold it for about what I paid for it. That worked out OK.

·
Premium Member
2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L
772 Posts
For me the Trackhawk is a want not a need. Yes I want one, when the price is right.:D
I watched with great interest in the release here in Aus and the anticipated prices. Most of the Launch Editions were sold however, I see you can still buy number 1 of 62. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-2017/OAG-AD-16788515/?Cr=19

I'm not sure of the final number delivered Downunder however, there are now 60 for sale on the AUS market with many have between 2500 - 4000Kms.

Will they hold their value over the next 12 months? I purchased my GC to keep long term so for me depreciation is not a concern, unless I'm trying to get my hands on a good second had vehicle.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Throwaway account because money.

I’ll be the voice of reason here. This car is way too expensive for you. Don’t try to justify it. I wish I’d been given similar advice 20years ago.

Not because you couldn’t make it work (you could) but because the opportunity cost is ridiculously high for someone in your life stage/current income.

My last car was an 07 SRT product. I drove it for >10 years and just put it into storage because I couldn’t part with it.

I bought a new 18 TH for >14k off sticker. Financed 20k at 4% to get the dealer to agree to the pricing.

I make more than 3x your household income annually and we have some additional household income. I have no debt but a couple home loans. And even though I absolutely love the car (LOVE IT) I still stress about having spent the money.

100k is 100k. I’m under 40yo, I’ll assume you’re in that ballpark. If I put that 100k into an index fund instead of a car that will depreciate to effectively zero within 10 years, it would grow to ~400k. Since it’s money I was going to throw away on a car anyhow, I could make really risky investments (digital currency, weed stocks, commodities, real estate) and there’s a pretty good chance it would turn into millions in 20 years.

I’ve got a couple million banked, but not so much that I could maintain my family’s lifestyle if I quit working right now. By blowing this 100k now, I put that option off by a meaningful amount of time.

What does blowing that 100k right now do to your long term plan? What is your opportunity cost? Get cozy with the answer to those questions before you talk yourself into too much car, because if you regret your decision after the fact and want to unwind the deal, you’re looking at like a 30k loss once you add up transaction fees (tax/title/license/depreciation/finance costs/etc).

All the best.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,870 Posts
Lol, this rant is pretty funny to me, I make a decent amount as well and could probably make the payments but unfortunately my wife would divorce me if I got one so I have to settle with my tuned up 5.7... for now at least ;)

Hmm ... if your wife reads this it might be sooner, rather than later. ;)

---

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
Throwaway account because money.

I’ll be the voice of reason here. This car is way too expensive for you. Don’t try to justify it. I wish I’d been given similar advice 20years ago.

Not because you couldn’t make it work (you could) but because the opportunity cost is ridiculously high for someone in your life stage/current income.

My last car was an 07 SRT product. I drove it for >10 years and just put it into storage because I couldn’t part with it.

I bought a new 18 TH for >14k off sticker. Financed 20k at 4% to get the dealer to agree to the pricing.

I make more than 3x your household income annually and we have some additional household income. I have no debt but a couple home loans. And even though I absolutely love the car (LOVE IT) I still stress about having spent the money.

100k is 100k. I’m under 40yo, I’ll assume you’re in that ballpark. If I put that 100k into an index fund instead of a car that will depreciate to effectively zero within 10 years, it would grow to ~400k. Since it’s money I was going to throw away on a car anyhow, I could make really risky investments (digital currency, weed stocks, commodities, real estate) and there’s a pretty good chance it would turn into millions in 20 years.

I’ve got a couple million banked, but not so much that I could maintain my family’s lifestyle if I quit working right now. By blowing this 100k now, I put that option off by a meaningful amount of time.

What does blowing that 100k right now do to your long term plan? What is your opportunity cost? Get cozy with the answer to those questions before you talk yourself into too much car, because if you regret your decision after the fact and want to unwind the deal, you’re looking at like a 30k loss once you add up transaction fees (tax/title/license/depreciation/finance costs/etc).

All the best.

If you can’t say it under your real account, it probably shouldn’t be said.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually its a great post. I am also struggling with the cost of the purchase. Not due to financial hardship, only because it is so much $$ for an SUV. A real emotional purchase for sure.

I am reminded of my father buying a Mustang in 1969 for a little above $3,000. The young man who lived behind us at the same time bought a !968 Shelby GT 500 KR, for $5,800 - almost twice the amount of the Mustang. How do you justify almost twice the price for "the same car". Which would you rather have now? I am 64 years old, so I won't see the value in the long term, but hopefully my kids or grandkids will be glad that I spent the extra.

Maybe.....

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
Actually its a great post. I am also struggling with the cost of the purchase. Not due to financial hardship, only because it is so much $$ for an SUV. A real emotional purchase for sure.

I am reminded of my father buying a Mustang in 1969 for a little above $3,000. The young man who lived behind us at the same time bought a !968 Shelby GT 500 KR, for $5,800 - almost twice the amount of the Mustang. How do you justify almost twice the price for "the same car". Which would you rather have now? I am 64 years old, so I won't see the value in the long term, but hopefully my kids or grandkids will be glad that I spent the extra.

Maybe.....
I'm in my 60's too... A couple of the many things I've learned (or come to realize) over the years, is you are only going this way once and life is short. If you have the money and it's what you want, why not go for it, now! That's been approach to most things in life in the past 20 years or so.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Fortunately price was a non issue for me when I made my decision to jump from an SRT to a trackhawk. Everyone comes from a different situation and income is just one factor a lot of people talk about first. I think more important than income is one’s expenses because that is more variable and more controllable if you will. Someone pulling in a million dollars could definitely afford a TH but not if they spent 95% of their income and they would be far worse off than someone making less with minimal expenses.

Truthfully, i maybe in the minority in that as much fun as the trackhawk is, I maybe going back to an SRT next time around. for everyday purposes my SRT was faster than almost anything I see on the road around where I live and being the practical person I am the trackhawk is just too much performance that is getting put to very little use.....in the end, I would be perfectly happy and proud to go back to an SRT!

Reactions: Ironside

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
Fortunately price was a non issue for me when I made my decision to jump from an SRT to a trackhawk. Everyone comes from a different situation and income is just one factor a lot of people talk about first. I think more important than income is one’s expenses because that is more variable and more controllable if you will. Someone pulling in a million dollars could definitely afford a TH but not if they spent 95% of their income and they would be far worse off than someone making less with minimal expenses.

Truthfully, i maybe in the minority in that as much fun as the trackhawk is, I maybe going back to an SRT next time around. for everyday purposes my SRT was faster than almost anything I see on the road around where I live and being the practical person I am the trackhawk is just too much performance that is getting put to very little use.....in the end, I would be perfectly happy and proud to go back to an SRT!
Money isn't an issue for me either but I won't be going back to a SRT. (I've dropped the price of a TH on a bad weekend in Vegas, more than once) It's true enough that I can't (well don't) use the power of the TH very often but I want it to be there when I want it. IMO, FCA hit a home run with the TH. Supercar performance at beer prices.(Ok, premium beer prices but still relatively cheap) Nice comfort features/options, comfortable, reliable, etc. My only real knock is the thing looks pretty much like ever other SUV on the road. OTOH, that is a plus when the cops are looking.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
57 Posts
I dream of a trackhawk. I dream of one that will prolly never be mine.
If this is for trackhawk owners only, I'm sorry.
I have an ecodiesel.
My uncle is on his second hellcat. And I've ridden with him several times. It incredible to me, the power and mechanical engineering.

I'm 24. Married with a 1.5 yr old. I finished my mortgage 2 days ago. Debt free now. Me and wife each have an IRA.
My combined household income is much less that 100k/yr.
I think it would be foolish for me to get a trackhawk. But I would love to have it.

In conclusion, I am happy for every single person that has made the decision to get a vehicle they really wanted!
Next time you are driving it, please do a launch, or burnout, or something special; so those of us that dont have an outstanding vehicle can watch and share the pleasure!!!!

Happy motoring, all!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts