Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the on, off 3 times and it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? It has a key fob and not a key. The MIL is lit and am trying to find out why, as the garage is closed.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,636 Posts
I tried the on, off 3 times and it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? It has a key fob and not a key. The MIL is lit and am trying to find out why, as the garage is closed.
I've not heard of any way to do it. Years ago it used to be possible on some cars to make the MIL flash out codes but I've not heard of anyone doing that since the 80's.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk w/ 5.7 V8
246 Posts
I've not heard of any way to do it. Years ago it used to be possible on some cars to make the MIL flash out codes but I've not heard of anyone doing that since the 80's.
+1. I know on some of the Jeep Wranglers (2017 or so), or other Jeeps with older displays/gauges, it was possible to still do the "turn to on 3 times without starting" to get codes. However, when they want to the larger screens, I think they may have done away with the ability.

Most automotive parts stores, if you live in a state where they're not closed due to COVID-19, can hook it up to one of their scanners for you. Some will not clear codes anymore due to liability concerns, but they can usually read them at least.

Otherwise, if you have a decent Android phone or an iPhone, you can buy an inexpensive bluetooth OBD scanner off of the interwebs. I wouldn't recommend Amazon at the moment, due to their prioritization of shipping basic staples (it may take a month for you to actually get your item if its not considered a staple), but there are other sites or eBay that you can buy them off of usually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jason! My local garage that I normally go to is closed, due to Covid-19. The next nearest garage is a rip-off, so I steer clear of them. Luckily, the Maintenance Barn at my work had one. Nothing major, a small evap leak. It looks like someone messed with gas cap door and it's a bit loose. I will see what I can do to get that to seal a bit better until my garage opens, or I can get a day off to bring it to my dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,636 Posts
Thanks, Jason! My local garage that I normally go to is closed, due to Covid-19. The next nearest garage is a rip-off, so I steer clear of them. Luckily, the Maintenance Barn at my work had one. Nothing major, a small evap leak. It looks like someone messed with gas cap door and it's a bit loose. I will see what I can do to get that to seal a bit better until my garage opens, or I can get a day off to bring it to my dealership.
At least half the vehicles I owned/own wind up with that error (small evap leak). Usually a new gas cap fixes it. Not sure how these capless system really seal. My 2014 has the CEL on now because of such a leak. I reset it once and it went away for 3 weeks then came back on. Next time it goes for an oil change it will get looked at. I have maxcare so not too worried but I've heard the cost of the whole capless assembly is pretty steep.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
85 Posts
What about trying one of the local parts stores?
Most will check and clear the codes for free in hopes of making a sale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts