Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 JGC Trailhawk HEMI, fully loaded
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here. I have a '21 Trailhawk, V8, fully loaded, getting delivered next week. I've read some disturbing stories about 'ghost keys' getting created, and other methods used to steal jeeps.

What device(s) or methods do you guys use to mitigate this threat? I was also wondering about the best and easiest way to wire up a killswitch in the WK2. Has anyone done this? Is it challenging?

Thanks!!!
Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,183 Posts
Honestly...I don't worry about it at all. If someone really, really wants to steal my ride and has the technical skills to do so, there's little I can do to stop it and I'll let my insurance take care of the situation in the unlikely event it happens. Now if I lived in an area where there is a notable problem with auto theft, I might pay attention and worry about it a little more, of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sort of stuff is out there, although "stealing codes" out of the air is all but eliminated these days. That really came and went. Of course you can do anything with enough time and money (and make a fortune on youtube with it), but in practice, it's barely a thing. In a 2021, that's not how it's gonna get stolen. This stuff takes vast amounts of time and equipment. I'd worry more about a nondescript flatbed wrecker that looks about old enough to have been retired from a larger towing company's fleet. Under a minute, hiding in plain sight, noise is not an issue, and five minutes down the road the vehicle can be electrically dead (no telematics), and the whole contents tossed, lest there was a cell phone tucked in the glove box or anywhere else... That's not new or exciting, so it really doesn't get a lot of press, but old school is very quick and very effective. Or the lost fob thing.... There's one thing you could do. The lost fob thing. Yeah, nobody's ever lost one.... But, when "somebody" finds one, they walk out to a parking lot and start hitting buttons to see what blinks. Turn that chit off. And the panic alarm. There's another place where old school rules- A dumb key with manual tumbler locks meant somebody had to try every car in the lot. With the lights and horn hooked up to it though. Non of which is out of place in a modern parking lot. No worries about being sneaky.

Insurance (or self insurance as a vehicle ages) is really your best protection.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
OPer, do you have to park your Jeep on the street overnight?
Do you store it in a garage over night?

If you live in a bad area where auto thefts and now increasing car jackings are prevalent by gang bangers, my advice if you can afford it is to move out to a safer State or area.

Like Jim_in_PA said if 'they' want your vehicle, there's not much you can do about it except to maybe install extra alarm systems but that might not even deter nar do wells from stealing your Jeep.

Also like Jim_in_PA said i also don't worry about it but i do take some precautions while parking in a big box store parking lots Like:
-Not staying in the store more than i have to, get in buy and get out.
-Never use my fob to lock or open the doors
-I always park in a 'semi' secluded area of the parking lot and if 18 wheelers are around i tend to park near them.
-I never park in an isolated lonely area of the parking lot where i don't want my Jeep sticking out like a sore thumb for any nar do wells to spot instantly, sort of out of sight out of mind.

Other than that just have to keep the fingers crossed,

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,033 Posts
Full coverage insurance. If you want it that badly take it. I'm down for a new car at any time.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,765 Posts
And, instead of parking in your driveway or in the street, clear the crap out of your garage and park it inside🙄.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
277 Posts
There was a car (well minivan) theft in my neighborhood last weekend. Car theft statistically is on the rise in many areas. Our local PD posted a nice map of car theft incidents on one of my neighborhood facebook groups. I don't remember the exact statistics, but it was something like this: majority of cars were unlocked, almost half of those stolen had the keys left in them. The minivan I mentioned - had the fob in the cupholder, plus her wallet and other belongings were in the vehicle too - overnight! So the message from my local police department: Lock your doors, take the keys with you, don't leave your wallet or other valuables in your car overnight. (oh and of course the minivan wasn't in the garage - it's hit and miss with garages in this neighborhood). I've been here a year, but it was about the same statistics in my old neighborhood too. People literally just walking around checking to see if doors are locked, looking for valuables. Rarely smashing a window, just quietly moving from one driveway to the next. It was eerie to see the security videos of them checking. Locking your doors is the most important step!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I seem to recall reading stats at one point that something like 85% of auto thefts are "crimes of opportunity," meaning it's like @oilspot mentioned. Car unlocked, or even worse keys left in it. I'd imagine the majority of those are joyriders. The people that are stealing for chop shops or the like... the "pros", well if they want your vehicle, there's not much you're going to do about it. Common sense takes care of the first group. Take the keys, lock the car, and no valuables in site. That's generally a good practice even in the garage. The vast majority of power garage doors can be opened with a coat hanger because of the location of the track release (that handle you pull to move the door without power).

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Not to totally change the subject but its somewhat relevant.
Years ago yeah cars were stolen along with wheels/tires and now of all things CATs for the platinum in them.

When my big ol dog Duncan RIP was around i didn't worry about any kind of thieves or damaging critters.
His ferrousous intimidating barking always announced when a strange vehicle drove up my drive way, scared off squirrels from chewing up my garage door, caught a few pesky ground moles, caught a big ol racoon in my yard swinging it in his jaws and even caught and killed a bambi on my property.
However he was very leery of the big bull snakes around here which was ok with me, they eat mice and i will never kill one.
Duncan was like a puppy to me, my friends and family members but to strangers not so much.

There's a reason auto junk yards have junk yard dogs.

Reactions: dan147

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input all. It's good to hear that most of the blatant exploits for the newer jeeps are gone. Seems last year I was constantly reading articles about stolen FCA cars, but most were either hellcats (Charger/Trackhawk) or SRT. To the point where FCA issued a software update to require a 4 digit pin to unlock anything past 3 horsepower. And from the sounds of it, most of the thefts were entirely digital exploits. Admittedly this is slightly disturbing.

My jeep is going to be parked in a garage, however, I have some family that lives in a bad part of town that I occasionally visit. I'd really like a kill switch if anyone has tried it in the WK2. Or maybe I'll buy one of those steering wheel locks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@dan147 Since you park in a garage; you really dont have anything to worry about.

i think youd be better off hard-wiring a dashcam to your vehicle; more than anything else.

Mine was paid for after being backed into at a coffee shop by a young girl (she left).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@dan147
i think youd be better off hard-wiring a dashcam to your vehicle; more than anything else.

Mine was paid for after being backed into at a coffee shop by a young girl (she left).
I'll definitely be doing that too. Did you do front and back dashcam? Some people get two dashcams and plug the other into the rear cargo outlet. I'm looking at the viofo A119 and hardwire kit.

Hopefully she didnt get away with it!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll definitely be doing that too. Did you do front and back dashcam? Some people get two dashcams and plug the other into the rear cargo outlet. I'm looking at the viofo A119 and hardwire kit.

I got the DR650s 2CH (front and back) - although they have newer models now and the Power Magic pro for filming while parking.
I followed the thread "dash cams - down under" and have it tap into 2 fuzes in the fuze box (through the firewall; under the glovebox)
Super sleek and nobody knows it's there. It's always running (unless parked for a few nights)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I filed a claim with the local police department, submitted the footage and the claim to my insurance and it was all covered a few weeks later.

She got out of the car, took a few pictures and acted like she was going to leave a note on my car; but left.

Without the dashcam, i would not have known who or when I was hit. I noticed the damage the next day.
I was very happy when I saw the incident on the footage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They have a device that one guy stands next to your Jeep with one part of it another guy will walk up to your house and walk around with the other part of the device till it picks up the signal from the key. Guy A at car gets signal opens door starts car and has basically your key now. Guy B takes off and Guy A has your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They have a device that one guy stands next to your Jeep with one part of it another guy will walk up to your house and walk around with the other part of the device till it picks up the signal from the key. Guy A at car gets signal opens door starts car and has basically your key now. Guy B takes off and Guy A has your car.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
94 Posts
If it's to the point that you're losing sleep over it, you can hard wire a kill switch into it. It's not that difficult to do, (there are You Tube videos everywhere, and kits on Amazon), and it really makes the vehicle difficult to steal.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts