·
Registered
2021 GC Trailhawk 5.7 Slate Blue Pearl
37 Posts
Including Jeep HEMI’s………

·
Registered
159 Posts
the immobilizer circuits eliminated hot wiring. Disconnecting the battery (and alarm and telematics-GPS telltale) and pulling it on to a flatbed is a possibility. I had a sudden (TOTAL) problem and the insurance paid well. There are "public adjustors" available who know the auto business better than lawyers and charge a lot less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here. I have a '21 Trailhawk, V8, fully loaded, getting delivered next week. I've read some disturbing stories about 'ghost keys' getting created, and other methods used to steal jeeps.

What device(s) or methods do you guys use to mitigate this threat? I was also wondering about the best and easiest way to wire up a killswitch in the WK2. Has anyone done this? Is it challenging?

Thanks!!!
Dan
one of my neighbors just had her brand new Toyota Tacoma stolen out of her driveway at 5:04am according to the ring video she posted on Nextdoor. They had something that unlocked the truck they backed it down the driveway in neutral, started it up and drove off. So, it does happen. And I live in a very “safe” area of a “Mayberry”. I have an ‘18 WK2 Overland. When I bought it they had the Uconnect feature for free with LoJack services should it get stolen. I am now happy to pay for this service. I’d check into that first IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agreed with the consensus, its a vehicle. Have good insurance and carry GAP if you are financing / leasing. I have gone to protecting a special car, (older mazda rx7 lo miles) with a physical KILL switch that is well hidden, but even that has its issues......for instance on one occasion the car would not start...why? rust on the starter engine post that the hot wire from the kill switch connected......but for htat car I would try a lot of things only because its not replaceable.........easily or at all.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
80 Posts
Not much you can do. My 2019 Trailhawk got boosted in downtown Albuquerque and was never recovered. Guardian is useless and no ping from my Trailhawk was detected.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
-Never use my fob to lock or open the doors
This line caught my eye ... why this? Somebody stealing your code?

I don't go many places where mine is likely to get stolen, but I sure would hate for it to happen. For me it is truly a unique vehicle, as (a) I ordered it with exactly what I wanted and nothing that I didn't, and there just aren't that many 2018 Off Road II fully-equipped beige-interior Limiteds around, (b) 2018 was the year IMO because it has Android Auto but doesn't have that hideous piano black trim on the dash, and (c) most irreplaceable of all, I have the last of the lifetime Maxcares and intend to keep it forever.

Dang, maybe I really should clean out the garage.

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
49 Posts
I was one of those unfortunate soles who had my JGC SRT stolen out of my driveway last year. my Ring cameras didn't catch a thing. (though they caught a couple foxes walking around my property the night before)

after that episode I learned how easy they are stolen.

here's the counter measures I've taken with my Replacement Trackhawk (lemons into lemonade)
1. GPS tracker w kill switch and battery backup
2020 NEW 4G LTE HardWired GPS Tracker with Remote Starter Disable Vehicle Kill Switch
2. Viper Alarm: Viper Value 1-Way Security System
3. The club. use when parking my Jeep at venues, malls, airports, city centers etc
4. had my key fobs recoded so they are not affiliated with my VIN#
5. moved my car into the garage

I don't believe my jeep is impervious to theft. I do hope that a potential thief will see my counter measures and move on.

BTW. I had a front and rear dashcam with motion detection on my previous Jeep. but never subscribed to a service to upload video files to a cloud. so it was useless. (thieves probably made a few hundred $ selling it on ebay)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
At the end of the day, imho, it comes down to this. As long as you eliminate the crimes of opportunity (car unlocked, possibly keys in it), then you can add a few things on top of that for peace of mind, but not much will stop the thieves that are out there to steal your vehicle. A killswitch might help, but a good pro is going to know where to look for them, or how to bypass. Even a Club can be defeated with a can of freon, or they just pull the steering wheel off and steer with a lock wrench. I suppose the closest thing to a truly secured vehicle would be a pin based kill directly attached to the system combined with a shielded tracking system with an independent and shielded power supply. That eliminates just pulling it on to a flatbed and taking it away. Of course all they'd have to do is use a cargo truck with shielded walls to block the tracker signal.

In my case, Jeep is in a garage, I've locked the track release so you can't just pull it with a coat hanger, and where I keep the keys is far enough that it couldn't be picked up with a relay transmitter from outside the house. That doesn't do anything for on the road. I may look to add a little something, but for the most part don't want to lose sleep over it, so I make sure I have good insurance.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
94 Posts
............5. moved my car into the garage.
This is the solution, right here. The ONLY plausible, realistic solution. It works better than Ring Cameras. Dash cams, security cameras. Or any other type of camera for that matter. That is only going to help gather evidence after the fact. (If it even does that). If they are going to steal your car from a locked garage, with no handles to grasp on the garage door itself, they are going to have to break into your home to do it.

There are simply too many other vehicles available for them to bother with doing that. And there are not very many full on home invasions taking place, just to steal a car they can't see in the first place. The risk simply out weighs the reward. If you don't have a garage, you might want to think about saving for a home before you invest $50K+ in a new car. Only to have to leave it outside, exposed to lousy weather and criminals.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can’t believe we’re back to using the Club. I threw mine out years ago.

My WK2 is garaged in my home so I have that covered. After reading this thread I’m now concerned about leaving it in a parking lot while I’m shopping and my shopping usually consists of being in and out in an hour. But, I’m now concerned about that hour.

As Some others, my WK2 was special ordered with everything I wanted and nothing I didn’t want. So it also has some sentimental value.

I always use the door lock button and not the remote to lock the vehicle, so I think that helps. I’m not going to have wires cut and the vehicle ripped apart to add a security sys or a cut off switch. So now I’m wondering if I should add the Club for those shopping visits.

This sux and I feel terrible for those who’ve been ripped off.

Reactions: dan147

·
Registered
49 Posts
They have a device that one guy stands next to your Jeep with one part of it another guy will walk up to your house and walk around with the other part of the device till it picks up the signal from the key......
Again, it's not as easy as it looks. Easier than other methods, but really, it's not as easy as it gets made out to be. But, if this sort of thing bothers you, switch off PKE (enter and go) in the settings. (Dash settings, no scanner needed). If you kill the PKE (that means that you have to physically push a button to unlock the car.) In other words, the car is not actively pinging to see if there's a remote near by. If the car is not pinging the remote with a wake up, or a direct challenge, you can't "relay" said challenge into the house (or anywhere else the keys are) to wake up the fob. And a sleeping fob does not generate a response to said challenge, so there's no response to "relay" back to the car. Even if you were to wake up that fob by electronically shaking it and splashing it's face with water, it can't generate a valid response because it doesn't have a challenge. The car's not going to unlock, let alone allow the engine to start. So while relay attacks are arguably one of the easiest to carry out (still not as easy as it gets made out to be by folks who get paid for viewership and viewer interaction, just "easiest" among the options....), they are also the easiest to 100 percent prevent.

Most thefts are more opportunistic than that. I still say the safest thing that you can do is kill the flashy blinky beepy stuff when you use the fob. That's so commonplace that no one gives it a second thought. Yet it is like leaving an instruction manual for someone who finds, copies, clones, or otherwise electronically takes over your fob functions. Opportunistic thieves will pitch the fob in a sewer grate before they go to the trouble of checking every car in a parking lot from the same manufacturer. (Better to be out your fob, than your fob and a whole car, right?) Or just assume that's a fob to your "other car" which isn't even around right now. Too many cameras. Too much time. Too much looking guilty, looking around at every single car to see what one "reacts". They want (need) for that to be quick, easy, with their head pointed mostly downwards, so business security, random dashcams, and witnesses can't see their face.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
If you have to park your car outside overnight a steering wheel lock bar might keep amateur thieves thinking twice before stealing your vehicle:

I bought one of those years ago when i was living in an apartment.
It won't stop idiots from breaking windows to steal anything of value inside the cabin but it will deter them from the wholesale stealing of the vehicle.

Given enough time, a pro thief can defeat just about any security device.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
245 Posts
Even putting it in your garage is not fool proof. Thieves can get into any garage that has a electric opener in seconds as well (so you need to protect it as well - video shows how to prevent this):

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,781 Posts
As part of our alarm system, we also installed a motion detector in our garage plus
our garage door has no external handles 👍
And we live in an area of Texas where home burglaries/invasions are extremely rare😉.

Reactions: bill460

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
94 Posts
As part of our alarm system, we also installed a motion detector in our garage plus
our garage door has no external handles 👍

And we live in an area of Texas where home burglaries/invasions are extremely rare😉.
I did the same thing. When we're gone if anyone were to break into the garage, the motion detector would pick them up right away. No external handles on either garage door. They would have to smash through it. And I don't know anyone who has ever had a garage broken into by someone sending rogue signals to open the door.

·
Registered
49 Posts
..... And I don't know anyone who has ever had a garage broken into by someone sending rogue signals to open the door......
That's because you don't belong to enough garage door forums. 99.99 percent of the worlds population doesn't know anybody who's gotten their car hacked by the same mechanism.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
245 Posts
I did the same thing. When we're gone if anyone were to break into the garage, the motion detector would pick them up right away. No external handles on either garage door. They would have to smash through it. And I don't know anyone who has ever had a garage broken into by someone sending rogue signals to open the door.
They generally don't send rogue signals to your opener and external handles not needed. Watch the video I posted and it shows you how they get in (skip to the 1:25 mark). ;)

Bottom line - if someone really wants you stuff, they will get it.

·
Registered
2021 JGC Trailhawk HEMI, fully loaded
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
wow, I want to say thanks to all for the wealth of information here, especially to those who had unfortunate firsthand experience. I'm definitely considering disabling park n go when I get my new vehicle. I'll have to see how much I like it. And probably wont be subscribing to Guardian if it is indeed useless. Seems any competent thief immediately unplugs the battery. One thing I was considering was buying a 3rd party GPS tracker and hooking it up to the secondary StopStart battery under the seat. Most thieves probably wouldnt think to unplug that, and if they did it would probably already have pinged their location.

had my key fobs recoded so they are not affiliated with my VIN#
can anyone expand on this? My understanding is that there are TONS of ways to get a VIN number off of a vehicle, such as a license plate lookup. Are you saying a thief could obtain my fob codes with my VIN#? Thats crazy.

thanks again everyone.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts