Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep in mind also that what some thieves are doing is using what amounts to a repeater....so even if you fob is out of range in its natural sense, there is some technology whereby the thief stands near your front door and uses the repeater to boost.......so the key is having the fob inside something. Thanks for providing this because not long ago I think there were some posts that said any type of box solution was nonsense........and clearly it is not.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Keep in mind also that what some thieves are doing is using what amounts to a repeater....so even if you fob is out of range in its natural sense, there is some technology whereby the thief stands near your front door and uses the repeater to boost.......so the key is having the fob inside something. Thanks for providing this because not long ago I think there were some posts that said any type of box solution was nonsense........and clearly it is not.
Most of those solutions are essentially nonsense right off the shelf. For example, the Amazon website is full of RFID-blocking wallets that do nothing that the thickness of an ordinary wallet wouldn't do to block the signal.

I had to modify my key box to produce the desired result and I had to work at it for a good hour or more to get it to consistently block the radio signals. Just when I thought I had it licked, the jeep would unlock again. The Jeep refused to start, but I hated that someone could get inside it.

So far so good now, though - I haven't been able to unlock the door with the fob in the box since the last time I tweaked it.

Now, it's always possible sticking a repeater device against just the right spot on the box might be enough to relay that signal. I have no way to test it, but I feel like I've done all I can at this point to make it as hard as possible to access it.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L V8
39 Posts
Avoid the city for parking. Use garage if you must. ALWAYS have comprehensive insurance coverage for risk of stolen loss. Also pay for SiriusXM Guardian for Stolen Vehicle Assistance to have GPS trace sent to police for recovery.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Avoid the city for parking. Use garage if you must. ALWAYS have comprehensive insurance coverage for risk of stolen loss. Also pay for SiriusXM Guardian for Stolen Vehicle Assistance to have GPS trace sent to police for recovery.
Honestly, if my vehicle ever gets stolen, I don't want it back. I want it to disappear so I don't have to deal with God knows what that may be wrong with it afterward.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Honestly, if my vehicle ever gets stolen, I don't want it back. I want it to disappear so I don't have to deal with God knows what that may be wrong with it afterward.
I"m with you there...based on experience years ago. It was a pretty icky feeling getting that vehicle back with unfamiliar stuff in it. Oh, and a religious music tape in the tape player. Ironic, eh?

Reactions: indymtb

·
Registered
175 Posts
We got all kinds of good stuff when my Mother's recently stolen car was recovered, including a hat with a pot leaf design, a Bob Marley jacket, and a surprisingly nice bluetooth speaker. The transmission was trashed, and the car was crashed into a pole while being chased by the cops. The thief also turned out to be a registered sex offender. You just can't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just came across a great and cheap way to prevent theft, this is if you are leaving it for a period, maybe airport, train station, or parked for a couple of days backpacking, just look in the fuse box and pull a needed relay, I pull my K07 starter solenoid, and take it with you

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think I would take my chances rather than have to deal with SiriusXM. My much hated T shifter found on the ‘14-‘15 models is probably a good theft deterrent like my manual transmission in my Z06! :)

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,701 Posts
I just came across a great and cheap way to prevent theft, this is if you are leaving it for a period, maybe airport, train station, or parked for a couple of days backpacking, just look in the fuse box and pull a needed relay, I pull my K07 starter solenoid, and take it with you
I like the idea of pulling the relay but I see no reason to take it with you, that just introduces a chance you'll lose it along the way and won't be able to drive the vehicle when you return. It could easily be hidden inside the jeep somewhere where no thief would find it.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts