Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my TH on Saturday 3/24. Even tho this week was the start of spring, we got about 6 inches of snow today in Pennsylvania. Just wondering from those of you that already have one how it handles in the snow. I had a 15 GC SRT and I never had any problems getting around in it. Was wondering if the TH handles the same or does the extra hp make it handle different in the snow.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
it's fine. I'm in ny, took it out last week. If you drive stupid you'll spin all four tires. Put it in "snow," drives just like the srt (I have a '14SRT). Assume you have all season tires ... if you have 3 seasons, I have no idea.

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
Going to completely dependent on what tires you have.

All seasons, handles snow as best you could expect with all season. Deep snow is an issue due to ground clearance.

Summer tires, you’d be nuts to even attempt snow.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Picking up my TH on Saturday 3/24. Even tho this week was the start of spring, we got about 6 inches of snow today in Pennsylvania. Just wondering from those of you that already have one how it handles in the snow. I had a 15 GC SRT and I never had any problems getting around in it. Was wondering if the TH handles the same or does the extra hp make it handle different in the snow.

Had about 8 inches today, handles the same as regular SRT. Just have to be gentler on gas pedal....

·
Registered
2018 Trackhawk
35 Posts
The T'hawk does as well in the snow as an SRT, as JMG2 noted. The 'visor notes' suggest not driving in snow more than 4" deep. I was concerned about the 'ground effects' thingies ahead of the front tires. They look pretty fragile, and I was careful to avoid drifts or go through them very slowly. We've had heavy rains, and the Trackhawk wades water OK, as well. At least to a little above bottom of lower grille opening. Just take it easy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only had 1" of snow in the Seattle area, but test drive on 4 seasons went great. Never took it out of "STND" driving mode, and it started and stopped easily. I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
jgc srt
42 Posts
We had 8" near Pittsburgh, PA yesterday, and I didn't have any problems. I just put it in snow mode and go. It's not like I have much of a choice, It's my daily driver.

·
Registered
2018 Trackhawk
35 Posts
Dale, my T'hawk is also my daily driver. In fact, knowing that i'll be Trackhawking to and from work is one of the few things that keeps me from announcing my retirement (I actually retired about twenty years ago, but just never told anyone; I just make sure I show up on payday). Sometimes, I'm having so much fun commuting, I just about forget to stop when I get to the office.

One more Trackhawk winter driving tidbit: We had one week of intensely cold weather this winter. I know from experience that a T'hawk will start, the first crank, after setting out all night, at minus 22 degrees F. I really wish I didn't know that from experience!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Don't even bother with 3 season tires. I was caught in the snow when I first bought mine and feared for my life. Never again.

No vehicle will do well in the snow with three seasons.

·
Registered
2018 Trackhawk
35 Posts
What surprises me is how good the all-season tires are in moderate snow. And this applies to the both the Goodyears on the WK SRT's as well as the Scorpion Verde's on the current generation vehicles. Neither of these tires look like what you'd want to have to play in the snow.
I was very apprehensive the first time I drove my original '06 GCSRT in snow. But Goodyear rated those tires as "70%" capable in snow, and they were right. The Pirellis are just as good.
The primary limiting factor, for driving in snow, is the limited ground clearance and not the (all-season) tires.

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
I wouldn't say that. Ive driven my MB GL with Blizzaks and this truck with all seasons back to back. Same snow, same day, there was a significant difference in how well the jeep started, stopped and turned vs the MB GL.

All season are adequate, thats about as far as I would describe them with regards to snow.

·
Registered
jgc srt
42 Posts
Dale, my T'hawk is also my daily driver. In fact, knowing that i'll be Trackhawking to and from work is one of the few things that keeps me from announcing my retirement (I actually retired about twenty years ago, but just never told anyone; I just make sure I show up on payday). Sometimes, I'm having so much fun commuting, I just about forget to stop when I get to the office.

One more Trackhawk winter driving tidbit: We had one week of intensely cold weather this winter. I know from experience that a T'hawk will start, the first crank, after setting out all night, at minus 22 degrees F. I really wish I didn't know that from experience!
Wow, Minus 22 F, people start whining here when it hits 0 !

·
Registered
jgc srt
42 Posts

Wow, Minus 22 F, people start whining here when it hits 0 ! Where do you live?

·
Registered
2018 Trackhawk
35 Posts
Northern Indiana. Normally, we seldom see below zero winter temperatures. This was an unpleasant anomaly. I don’t blame anyone who whines about cold. I start to whine when outdoor temp drops below 50 degrees. I’m just too stupid to move someplace warm. At -22, I whined and I cried. That turned out to be counter-productive. If you cry at -22, the tears just freeze your eyelashes together. And then you have to thaw them out to see. The upside (to the extent that there was an upside) is that, after -22, any temp only a single-digit below zero seems positively balmy. I’m sure the folks farther north just laughed at the wimps in northern Indiana. I really didn’t know what to expect from the 6.2. But it fired right up, with no hesitation at all. And I didn’t even have the block heater plugged in.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
Northern Indiana. Normally, we seldom see below zero winter temperatures. This was an unpleasant anomaly. I don’t blame anyone who whines about cold. I start to whine when outdoor temp drops below 50 degrees. I’m just too stupid to move someplace warm. At -22, I whined and I cried. That turned out to be counter-productive. If you cry at -22, the tears just freeze your eyelashes together. And then you have to thaw them out to see. The upside (to the extent that there was an upside) is that, after -22, any temp only a single-digit below zero seems positively balmy. I’m sure the folks farther north just laughed at the wimps in northern Indiana. I really didn’t know what to expect from the 6.2. But it fired right up, with no hesitation at all. And I didn’t even have the block heater plugged in.
I'm amazed you got the Block Heater Option. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts