Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging from the LED enthusiasm, some folks must have learned this about the WK2?

I had a rear tail lamp go out, I got a warning on the EVIC for a left rear tail lamp burned out and the blinker worked at double speed, until I replaced it.

I also can NOT find any Flasher Control Units in the vehicle. Looking at LED's talking about how some are CANBus Error Free.... ...this is what I suspect...

Gone are the Flasher Units, the Body computer (or central gateway) controls the bulb, turn signal flashing and the rate they flash. The computer can also tell by current loads if they bulbs are working correctly and warn you if a bulb has burned out and tell you exactly which one. And to mimic the old flasher units for a burn bulb, if it detects one, it simply flashes at twice the speed as part of the warning of a burnt out bulb....

Does anyone know more? Like correct me if I'm wrong?
Is every bulb in the whole car controlled like this? Or only some of them?

And how does the CanBus decoders for LED's work? Either self-contained in the LED or as a separate unit you wire into the circuit?

Do they, like they claim, communicate on the CAN Bus to tell the Computer there is nothing wrong with the bulb and don't react like the bulb is burned out? OR are they nothing more than resisters (or current devices) to mimic the current load of the incandescent bulb to trick the computer into thinking the correct incandescent bulb is in the socket?

Sure, I'd love to experiment with some LED's, but I'm not cutting into the factory wiring (that includes parallel splices) or even the insulation of the factory wiring. Nor do I want hot resistors floating around to burn or melt things around the lamp fixtures and their wiring. If there is a cool running canbus decoder that can be plugged in with adapter plugs, I might consider it. Right now the list of LED bulbs CANBUS error free is pretty slim, and they are pretty vague on how they work and their results, like do they prevent hyperflashing (double rate)?

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
Many of the incandescent lamps can easily be replaced by LEDs with no issue. The turn signals do require either resistors or a LED assembly that provides the same load feedback to avoid errors.

Reactions: Mongo53

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of the incandescent lamps can easily be replaced by LEDs with no issue. The turn signals do require either resistors or a LED assembly that provides the same load feedback to avoid errors.
So just to be clear, only the turn signals require resistors or canbus error correction chip, all the other bulbs can be replaced with LED's and not cause any errors?

That includes the reverse/backup lamps? Side marker peanut lamps and interior bulbs?

Does that also include the fog lamps/driving lights and headlights?

Not that I'm considering LED headlamps, I'm not ready to bite off on those yet, rather I'd just like to know for the future.

But LED bulbs for the fog lamps/driving lights does appeal to me.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
So just to be clear, only the turn signals require resistors or canbus error correction chip, all the other bulbs can be replaced with LED's and not cause any errors?

That includes the reverse/backup lamps? Side marker peanut lamps and interior bulbs?

Does that also include the fog lamps/driving lights and headlights?

Not that I'm considering LED headlamps, I'm not ready to bite off on those yet, rather I'd just like to know for the future.

But LED bulbs for the fog lamps/driving lights does appeal to me.
In my 2014 Summit I replaced all the interior lamps except the glovebox and the two soldered in LEDs in the overhead console. The regular bulbs in the overhead got replaced with LEDS. Also replaced the BU lamps and the fog light lamps. Also replaced the brake lamps but for those I had to install load resistors to keep from getting the "bulb burned out" error message.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There is a new thread today about someone having a low beam headlamp burn out, and not getting a warning message like the turn/brake lamps, is it normal?

So it is looking like this is correct, its only the flashing bulbs, the turn signals that require resistors or some form of can bus error correction. Keep in mind the brake light is the same bulb as the rear turn signal.

Logically, I'm guessing they got rid of the flashing control units by making the TIPM control the bulbs. So while they were at it, they threw in the error reporting for those bulbs, because it was just a couple extra lines of code. The rest of the bulbs are likely just good old fashion circuits.

They probably wrote into the code, if it sees a burnt out bulb, to double the rate of flash, simply to mimic the old warning as well as give you the message the bulb is burned out. You know people, there are a few that would pitch a fit if they had a burnt out turn signal and the flashing rate didn't change, just getting a message on the evic telling them the bulb was burned out isn't good enough for them. So they artificially create the hyper flash.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited
65 Posts
I left my foglights unplugged by accident when I installed honeycomb grill inserts and never got a message that they were out either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts